• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former station names still in use today

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefyllian

On the new TfW Class 197s, the screens display "We are now approaching Newport (South Wales)" while at exactly the same time the recorded announcement says "We are now approaching Newport (Gwent)".

Not sure how that happened as the entire PIS is brand new. Gwent was abolished as a local authority in 1996.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Too many words, locals just call it Parkeston.

Back in the days of Colchester Borough Transport the buses had blinds that said North Station, even though the station wasn’t called that.
The road that leads to it from the city centre is "North Station Road".

Some of the cyclepath path directions signs also point the way to North Station.

trebor79

Established Member
Same for Bristol T M on the blinds, at a time when there was only one Bristol station. In fact, despite having only the one station, Temple Meads was probably a more common city expression than just Bristol station.
Yep, when I lived in Bristol it was universally referred to as "Temple Meads". Never heard anyone refer to it as Bristol station or the station. Always thought "Bristol Temple Meads" sounded fantastic in announcements. Dunno why, it just sounds awesome.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure how that happened as the entire PIS is brand new. Gwent was abolished as a local authority in 1996.
Do people still refer to "Gwent" in casual conversation despite it no longer existing in any administrative sense?

Not sure being a local authority or not is a factor, I'm not aware of any station that uses the name of the local authority to distinguish it from a similarly-named station, unless that local authority is also a ceremonial or historical county. For example Marsden (Yorks) has the bit in parentheses to avoid confusion with Marden in Kent. Nobody would suggest that it should be changed to Marsden (Kirklees) or even Marsden (Huddersfield).

Killingworth

Established Member
Do people still refer to "Gwent" in casual conversation despite it no longer existing in any administrative sense?

Not sure being a local authority or not is a factor, I'm not aware of any station that uses the name of the local authority to distinguish it from a similarly-named station, unless that local authority is also a ceremonial or historical county. For example Marsden (Yorks) has the bit in parentheses to avoid confusion with Marden in Kent. Nobody would suggest that it should be changed to Marsden (Kirklees) or even Marsden (Huddersfield).

Hope (Derbyshire) v. Hope (Flintshire)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Hope (Derbyshire) v. Hope (Flintshire)
Both of which are historic or ceremonial counties, aren't they? Or am I being duped by the "-shire" ending? I know counties get a bit weird the other side of Offa's Dyke...

If the former Portsmouth station on the Copy Pit line was reopened, it would probably be "Portsmouth (Yorkshire)" in the fares database... it would certainly not be "Portsmouth (Calderdale)".

oglord

On the new TfW Class 197s, the screens display "We are now approaching Newport (South Wales)" while at exactly the same time the recorded announcement says "We are now approaching Newport (Gwent)".

*sigh* Here's hoping if these new stations in the Newport area come about that Newport High Street is re-adopted as the official name.

Only by people trying to push a certain agenda that we won't go into here...

YorksLad12

Established Member
If the former Portsmouth station on the Copy Pit line was reopened, it would probably be "Portsmouth (Yorkshire)" in the fares database... it would certainly not be "Portsmouth (Calderdale)".
True, but Portsmouth (Lancs) was its name. It was in Lancashire until 1888.
(Says Wikipedia; Quick's Chronology doesn't mention the county suffix or any renaming.)

Mikey C

Established Member
Portsmouth (Oop North) as a compromise between the Yorks and Lancs claims ;)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The road that leads to it from the city centre is "North Station Road".

Some of the cyclepath path directions signs also point the way to North Station.
That's as may be, but has the station ever officially been named 'Colchester North'?

Having said that, it does appear to be shown as 'North Station' in old (1900s era) OS maps of the area. See link below...

zwk500

Veteran Member
Most people I know refer to "Shoreditch High Street" simply as "Shoreditch".
Although then you have the debate about whether Shoreditch high street is a new station or relocated one, so it might be the former name, or it could be a former name that a new station has inherited, which opens up a whole other angle.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Although then you have the debate about whether Shoreditch high street is a new station or relocated one, so it might be the former name, or it could be a former name that a new station has inherited, which opens up a whole other angle.
'Shoreditch High Street' station is built more-or-less on the site of a different one-time 'Shoreditch' station (i.e. not the former tube station), isn't it?

trebor79

Established Member
'Shoreditch High Street' station is built more-or-less on the site of a different one-time 'Shoreditch' station (i.e. not the former tube station), isn't it?
It's built on top of the remains of Bishopsgate station isn't it?

zwk500

Veteran Member
There may have been an earlier station at ground level but my understanding was the elevated alignment is completely new once it's left the old Broad Street approach.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There may have been an earlier station at ground level but my understanding was the elevated alignment is completely new once it's left the old Broad Street approach.
The original terminus of the Eastern Counties railway was Shoreditch, which became Bishopsgate goods depot when they extended to Liverpool Street. The current station is within that site but may not be on the footprint of the original one.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Can anyone remember what the CRS code for Lincoln St Marks was? I arrived there on a Pleasure-Seeker excursion from Portsmouth sometime in the mid-1970s.
No CRS code is given on Railway Codes but interesting Lincoln St Marks does have the TIPLOC code of 'LINCOLN' listed while Lincoln (Central) gets 'LINCLNC'
More to the point, has anyone kept a list of redundant codes? :lol:
Some attempt has been made but it's incomplete: http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/crs/crsl.shtm I believe the owner of the site is on here, so full credit to them for the remarkable effort.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Quite possibly. I can't remember exactly when they started, but I thought it was sometime in the mid-late 'seventies. I'm sure that someone on here will know!

Certainly in use in 1971, at least at G.M. Euston's 'Commercial Research Office' when I worked there, and, I think, also by the other regions. But their present usage is different from then; each user produced their own location codes in those days, surprising that these are the ones to survive. As I've pointed out before, it had been produced, I think, 'on the hoof' resulting in what might be thought the logical code for a major station already being used for a small one - for example, NOR; NORwich, NORthampton no, NORmanton!

Edited to add example

There are a few examples of light rail systems having stations/stops that share names with distant national rail stations aren't there? Although now I say it I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

University on the Tyne & Wear Metro, and on Network Rail in Birmingham

Taunton

Established Member
Quite possibly. I can't remember exactly when they started, but I thought it was sometime in the mid-late 'seventies. I'm sure that someone on here will know!
The old GWR was, inevitably, there with such codes long before.

Here's the list. Paddington was PDN and Taunton TN. Now PAD and TAU. Someone can go through and work out how many locations still have the same code. Slough seems to be SLO in both schemes:

On locos, their GWR allocation code was painted on the front frame sides, above the cylinders. George Behrend, in his book 'Gone With Regret', wrote that when in the army in WW2 in Italy, around Taranto, he noticed that someone in the allied railway administration was putting TTO, and similar for elsewhere, in exactly the same place. He guessed their background. One was on an ex-GWR Dean Goods taken all the way over there by the military.

LRV3004

Recently I found out that the forum's ticket site (and Trainsplit) still shows Deansgate station as Deansgate G-Mex.

Names like Lincoln Central, Bedford/Derby/Sheffield Midland or even London St Pancras without the International are commonly used today, even though they have not been official for a while now.
Colchester station is often referred to as Colchester North (I don't think that name was ever even used officially!)

Any other instances from around the country?
View attachment 145837
If you stand at the entrance of Deansgate station, above it is the very old name of "Knott Mill"!

swr444

Are there any others where the actual name (not the suffix or prefix) has changed?

E.g. do people still use "Lyndhurst Road"?
I believe on the genius systems it still shows up as lyndhurst road, same with Ashford (Middlesex) which is now in surrey, and reading 4AB which is the name of the old 3rd rail platforms before reading was rebuilt

leytongabriel

Most people I know refer to "Shoreditch High Street" simply as "Shoreditch".
Yes, exactly. Also the building is facing the other way at the opposite ends of the platforms so it's not on the High St anyway. I think there were plans originally to have a entrance there too. Would have enticed city workers with a zone two fare but then they moved the boundary so just shoreditch high st was in zone one and that scuppered it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If you stand at the entrance of Deansgate station, above it is the very old name of "Knott Mill"!
Believe the station's official name (until around the time of the 1971 re-electrification to 25 KV AC) was 'Knott Mill and Deansgate' and that this had been so since c. 1900, so the distinctive old lettering to which you refer must therefore date back to before then, quite possibly as far as the mid 19th Century.

Recessio

True, but I guess the only reason it got the "high street" added was because it's in a slightly different location from the old station. However as it is the only station that serves Shoreditch, it's not surprisingly that the average punter/non-RailForums user just refers to it as Shoreditch.
Yes, exactly. Also the building is facing the other way at the opposite ends of the platforms so it's not on the High St anyway. I think there were plans originally to have a entrance there too. Would have enticed city workers with a zone two fare but then they moved the boundary so just shoreditch high st was in zone one and that scuppered it.
Agreed, but it's still not the worst named station on the network, there's far more egregious ones. But that's possibly for another thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.