• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Former station names still in use today

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
If you stand at the entrance of Deansgate station, above it is the very old name of "Knott Mill"!
And if you stand on the roundabout south of stockport station there is a mosaic sign directing you to "edgeley station"

EDIT: fix typo

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

And if you stand on the roundabout south of stockport station there is a mosaic sign directing you to "edgeley station"

EDIT: fix typo
Ah yes of course, forgot about that one! Bit embarrassing seeing as I grew up in Stockport, and regularly park my car there when commuting to work!!!!

Farigiraf

No, it's spelt correctly.

View attachment 146243

Image is a picture of the sign in question on the roundabout.
They originally spelt it as Edgely but then edited it

Screenshot 2023-11-09 171210.png
Image disguised as a quote showing the original post by plugwash incorrectly spelling Edgeley

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Colchester Town Station still referred to as St Botolphs by many.
I didn't know that the station's name had actually changed! Is there any explanation for the change?

The name St Botolph has long amused me, after a work colleague told me that she was married in 'St Bolotoff's Church' in London.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
To be fair, it was originally 'Edgeley station" when it opened in the 1840's. Possibly renamed 'Stockport Edgeley' when the railways were regrouped in 1923. How old is the mosaic sign, by the way?

I didn't know that the station's name had actually changed! Is there any explanation for the change?
"St. Botolph's" station, which opened in 1866, was changed by BR to "Colchester Town" in July 1991. Not 100% sure of the reasoning, but the amended name does seem to be more geographically descriptive for anyone from outside the Colchester area. Believe the big red and white sign outside the station has fairly recently been amended to now say "Colchester Town formerly St. Botolph's" as a nod to the past.

There are apparently no plans, at present, though, to further amend the station name to "Colchester City".

Established Member
"St. Botolph's" station, which opened in 1866, was changed by BR to "Colchester Town" in July 1991. Not 100% sure of the reasoning, but the amended name does seem to be more geographically descriptive for anyone from outside the Colchester area. Believe the big red and white sign outside the station has fairly recently been amended to now say "Colchester Town formerly St. Botolph's" as a nod to the past.

There are apparently no plans, at present, though, to further amend the station name to "Colchester City"
It was renamed precisely for the reason you suggest. Meanwhile tucked behind the station is the remains of St Botolph's Priory, which was there over 750 years before the railway, but presumably why the station was originally so named. Link has further details.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/colchester-st-botolphs-priory/?utm_source=Google Business&utm_campaign=Local Listings&utm_medium=Google Business Profiles&utm_content=colchester st botolphs priory

Mikey C

Established Member
True, but I guess the only reason it got the "high street" added was because it's in a slightly different location from the old station. However as it is the only station that serves Shoreditch, it's not surprisingly that the average punter/non-RailForums user just refers to it as Shoreditch.
Especially as the old Shoreditch station was such a lightly used ones, with pathetic opening hours, that the new High St station is to most people the only Shoreditch station they've known.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Quite possibly. I can't remember exactly when they started, but I thought it was sometime in the mid-late 'seventies. I'm sure that someone on here will know!
CRS Codes came into use around 1982, with the introduction of the Computer Reservations System. The East Coast Main Line was the first to move from manual to computerised reservations, with it then being rolled out to the rest of the network in stages.

3-alpha codes were used to identify stations as the original reservations systems was a modified form of the program used by an American airline - which already used 3-alpha codes to identify airports.

The use of CRS codes has now gone far beyond seat/sleeper reservations, with even some rail operating systems accepting them.

Rescars

CRS Codes came into use around 1982, with the introduction of the Computer Reservations System. The East Coast Main Line was the first to move from manual to computerised reservations, with it then being rolled out to the rest of the network in stages.

3-alpha codes were used to identify stations as the original reservations systems was a modified form of the program used by an American airline - which already used 3-alpha codes to identify airports.

The use of CRS codes has now gone far beyond seat/sleeper reservations, with even some rail operating systems accepting them.
3-alpha codes were used from the late 1970s to identify each of the British Transport Hotels, until the chain was (in the words of BTH's last Managing Director) annihilated.

Amlag

Halwill Jn and Otterham stn both still exist as local Postal addresses despite their Railway closing in 1966.

trebor79

Established Member
Halwill Jn and Otterham stn both still exist as local Postal addresses despite their Railway closing in 1966.
Ooh, now that's made me think of a new topic... Settlements that completely disappeared following closure of the railway. Riccarton Junction would be my started. At one time had several houses, a school, a gasworks, a shop. All built by the railway in literally the middle of nowhere to service the station of the same name.
All gone now.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are also places where a station was built some way from the place it purported to serve, and a community then grew up around and named after the station. An example is Ratho Station west of Edinburgh, the station itself having gone long since.

Ooh, now that's made me think of a new topic... Settlements that completely disappeared following closure of the railway. Riccarton Junction would be my started. At one time had several houses, a school, a gasworks, a shop. All built by the railway in literally the middle of nowhere to service the station of the same name.
All gone now.
I had a walk ther in the heatwave last spring as my grandfather described Riccarton to me as a child. His father worked on the railway in Carlisle and was familiar with it. There is a solitary building still there which someone lives in. I think it might be the station masters house.

Not light rail per se, but there's "Charing Cross (Glasgow)" on NR and "Charing Cross" on the tube.
There's also Queen's Park on the Bakerloo line and Queen's Park (Glasgow)!

(Not quite the same thing, of course, as national rail trains serve the London Queens Park but still!)

Recently I found out that the forum's ticket site (and Trainsplit) still shows Deansgate station as Deansgate G-Mex.

Names like Lincoln Central, Bedford/Derby/Sheffield Midland or even London St Pancras without the International are commonly used today, even though they have not been official for a while now.
Colchester station is often referred to as Colchester North (I don't think that name was ever even used officially!)

Any other instances from around the country?
View attachment 145837
I ran into "Balloch Central" being used on Trainsplit yesterday, when I've only ever seen the station referred to as plain "Balloch" before. I guess this must be a former name, referenced in the station's three-letter abbreviation "BHC"!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I ran into "Balloch Central" being used on Trainsplit yesterday, when I've only ever seen the station referred to as plain "Balloch" before. I guess this must be a former name, referenced in the station's three-letter abbreviation "BHC"!
Balloch Central station was on a nearby, but slightly different site, and closed in April 1988. The current Balloch station, which replaced it, is on the other side of the town's level crossing. Perhaps the 'BHC' code was simply retained and re-used at that time.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Hope (Derbyshire) v. Hope (Flintshire)

Pedantically the Flintshire one Wass Hope Village, and, as I've posted before, Hope (For Castletown & Bradwell) where passengers kitted for hiking in the Peak sometimes turned up on weekend mornings.

I once found a bus scrapyard with some old stuff in at Bedlington Station, some distance from Bedlington. Shown on the sign-posts but long closed. And before Covid turned off the main road to find the site of Verney Junction and, by the crossing gates was a post box identified as Verney Junction Station.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...Hope (For Castletown & Bradwell) where passengers kitted for hiking in the Peak sometimes turned up on weekend mornings...
Still do, to be fair. By the way, the first-named nearby location which Hope station still serves is Castleton, not Castletown. (The nearest 'Castletown' is possibly the one on the Isle of Man).

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Still do, to be fair. By the way, the first-named nearby location which Hope station still serves is Castleton, not Castletown. (The nearest 'Castletown' is possibly the one on the Isle of Man).

I have an Apple laptop that thinks it's clever than me and quite often thinks I mean to write something different from what I actually typed, so I have to go back and check every word. I missed that one.

I wish I knew how to turn it off, sometimes the 'corrections' could make my sentence offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.