• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forthcoming Galas 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jrmarshall45

Ahh fair enough I only ask as I haven't really done galas much over the last few years so haven't kept up to date with it

Was it any good

willias3

Over the first two weekends in July (1-3 and 8-10) the Dean Forest Railway will be hosting the local Forest of Dean steam restorer 'The Flour Mill' 20th Anniversary gala.

Visiting engines are:
30129 - T9 Drummond
30588 - Beattie Well Tank
Met -1

DFR's own small prairie 5541 will also be in operation.

Two passenger sets, a rideable freight (for a donation) and an inspection saloon will be in use.

There will also be a vintage bus link on the first weekend between the DFR and the flour mill for unprecedented access and tours of the workshops (small fee).

Booking and timetable info online at: http://deanforestrailway.co.uk/events/detail/steam-gala

rjholt

Wensleydale are having their every popular diesel gala 15-17 July.

Great line up including GBRF 66, 56006, 37905, 31271, 26007

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fudge me that sounds hellfire, I need to try and get up north for even the Sunday of that, as I need each of those locos!

Fudge me that sounds hellfire, I need to try and get up north for even the Sunday of that, as I need each of those locos!

Might have had a lot of units Tech but you're loco book sounds particularly empty :lol:

I'm only after the 66 and thats *if* it wins :P

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Might have had a lot of units Tech but you're loco book sounds particularly empty :lol:

I'm only after the 66 and thats *if* it wins :P

Yeah it's been the case for a long time. My book is probably fuler than a lot of people's books when it comes to HST trailers mind!

The Bo'ness gala sounds like fun, but £30 a head for a one-day rover? Fudge me that's chingy...

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
In the spirit of helpfulness:
I understand that there is possibly a little concern about low passenger numbers at the Bo'ness Diesel Gala this weekend - plenty of people there, but not enough actually travelling. A return trip is only £10, plenty of opportunity for photographs on the train as well as at stations and lineside. The weather looks a bit better earlier in the day rather than later tomorrow. If you can make it, it's well worth the effort.

ScotTrains

In the spirit of helpfulness:
I understand that there is possibly a little concern about low passenger numbers at the Bo'ness Diesel Gala this weekend - plenty of people there, but not enough actually travelling. A return trip is only £10, plenty of opportunity for photographs on the train as well as at stations and lineside. The weather looks a bit better earlier in the day rather than later tomorrow. If you can make it, it's well worth the effort.

Quite a few people, including myself, have travelled down to the annual DRS open day this weekend. This may account for the poor numbers at Bo'ness. It's a real shame that the Bo'ness diesel gala had to be on the same weekend.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It doesn't help having not heard about it until fairly short notice. It's been nigh on impossible for some of us to get time off booked/confirmed without 3 months notice, which infuriates me. Apparently this issue is to be actioned in the forthcoming week, but it's like putting a plaster on a deep wound, as the gala season is nearly over. In fact, let's not think about it...

One does feel that without that HST visitor to the Bo'ness gala the ching would have been far more reasonable. Especially for the length of line...

Redrover

Over the August Bank Holiday Weekend (26th-29th August) the MNR's Annual Beer Festival has this year been augmented with three visiting steam tank locomotives. Details: http://www.mnr.org.uk/steam-gala/

On Friday 26th August, guest Pannier 6430 and Autocoach W167 will operate three pre-bookable return trips from Dereham to Wymondham Abbey Halt - the first time (as far as we know) that a GWR push and pull Autotrain has ever operated in Norfolk.
The £20 return fare on your specified service also allows travel on other gala service trains that day.

On the Saturday, Sunday & Monday, Rover tickets will include a trip on the Autocoach from Dereham to Hoe & return, but please be aware that you may have to queue to wait for a train due to the limited numbers able to travel on each trip.

Autocoach bookings for Friday 26th August can be made here: http://tickets.mnr.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_83&product_id=235

Last edited:

WattWatt000

Hope this is of interest to some members!?

To celebrate the first gala since the new WSR AWAY DAY ticket was launched earlier in the year, GWR are providing a shuttle train service which will help you get to the railways Autumn Gala on the 8th & 9th October 2016 a GWR DMU shuttle will be in operation between Taunton to Bishops Lydeard stations.

All services are scheduled to depart & arrive from platform 2 at Taunton & platform 1 at Bishops Lydeard.

Train times* - Subject to Network Rail final approval:
Saturday 8th October - Outward
Dep Taunton Stn - 0932 - 1028 - 1125 - 1230 - 1410 - 1459 - 1555 - 1655 -
Arr Bishops Lyd - 0944 - 1040 - 1137 - 1242 - 1422 - 1512 - 1608 - 1708 -
Saturday 8th October - Return
Dep Bishops Lyd - 1000 - 1053 - 1148 - 1249 - 1428 - 1520 - 1622 - 1720 -
Arr Taunton Stn - 1017 - 1117 - 1205 - 1306 - 1445 - 1537 - 1639 - 1736 -
Sunday 9th October - Outward
Dep Taunton Stn - 0935 - 1029 - 1123 - 1232 - 1409 - 1459 - 1600 - 1658 -
Arr Bishops Lyd - 0948 - 1042 - 1136 - 1245 - 1423 - 1512 - 1613 - 1711 -
Sunday 9th October - Return
Dep Bishops Lyd - 1005 - 1100 - 1200 - 1251 - 1428 - 1520 - 1618 - 1720 -
Arr Taunton Stn - 1024 - 1117 - 1217 - 1308 - 1445 - 1537 - 1635 - 1736 -
For discounted travel you can purchase the “West Somerset Away Day” – Destination West Somerset Rly, which for this gala will be accepted. This product is available from GWR ticket offices across most of the network.

For more information, please visit:
https://www.gwr.com/destinations-and-events/heritage-railways/west-somerset-railway

The West Somerset Railway, is a true country branch line of the former Great Western Railway and is full of fascination. Ride back in time through lovely countryside or to study the railway and some examples of industrial heritage to which are preserved to a very high standard. Some of the events over the gala weekend:

 An intensive timetable of trains between Bishops Lydeard (4 miles from Taunton) and Minehead.
 The Autotrain will also be in service on Saturday and Sunday and we shall confirm the details at a later date.
 Kilmersdon and newly refurbished Coach 4 running shuttle services out of Minehead.
 GWR Taunton to Bishops Lydeard shuttle on Saturday and Sunday.
 Minehead Turntable in action.
 Quantock Brewery will have a bar on Minehead Station on all days and will also have their base at Bishops Lydeard open for business.
 Railway Museums and model railways open.
 Licensed Buffet Cars on most trains, shops open.
 Quantock Belle running on some services offering Full English Breakfasts and Hot Lunches. Please see WSR website for more details.
 Commemorative Gala guide available to purchase either in advance or on the day.

davetheguard

Established Member
Thanks WattWatt000 for this really useful information.

I last visited the WSR only a few weeks ago; and got off for the first time ever at the delightful country station of Stogumber, and walked to Williton. But the need to take the bus at Taunton is a faff (and one with price & time penalties), even though the physical interchange arrangements at both Taunton & Bishop's Lydeard are very good. Timetable integration is less satisfactory, particularly on Sundays with just one bus an hour.

As a result, on my rather infrequent visits to the line, I always think "If only the West Somerset ran through to Taunton!" and how much more often I'd visit if it did.

So, news of this Great Western shuttle is very welcome, and I'll go out of my way to support it in October with an extra visit to the WSR. I can't find anything about the special shuttle yet on the WSR or GWR web pages; no doubt they're waiting on confirmation of the timings from Network Rail.

Do you happen to know if any other tickets are available on the shuttle apart from the WSR Away Day ticket - e.g. privs etc.?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is anyone going to the GWR diesel gala? I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask?
Anyway I'm going with a friend, we do the SVR diesel gala this time of year normally but obviously not this year. Looking forward to this one though.

TransportHub

Less than two weeks to go till the Spa Valley Railway Autumn Diesel Gala/Real Ale and Cider Festival

21st -23rd October 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.