• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fowey Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly fascinating stuff. Fowey and the surrounding area is one of my favourite places in Cornwall; used to visit quite a bit when I lived in the region a few years ago.

It might be a bit sad, but I'm fascinated by old railway lines.. whether they're disused or like the Fowey branch just for freight. The pictures on that website of all the disused trackbeds around the china clay works are eery.. so many stories to tell of the past.

Does anyone know the unit number of the 150/2 on the Fowey Branch?

I emailed FGW regarding a Sunday summer trip to Fowey and Parkandillack freight only branches, got the bog standard reply, complete with spelling mistakes saying the 'paths' were an N.R issue but they would consider asking (The original suggestion was for an FGW DMU on a Sunday charter for enthusiasts) As it stands, there has been no further communication from FGW, somewhat predictably alas...

Unfortunately going through customer services is a somewhat awkward way of instigating such a proposal; but I appreciate there are not many options. To be fair; FGW are good at organising special events, providing you can contact the right people. I see no reason why it couldn't happen. There would be scope for an excellent trip there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Forgot to mention, paid a visit to Golant whilst on holiday a few years back to try and locate the site of the old station. Whilst doing so I got talking to an elderly lady who told me she used to work in the ticket office at Fowey Station until it closed, and interestingly mentioned a movie made in the 1950s starring Kenneth More with numerous scenes shot on the branch, especially around Golant.I can recall seeing this film on tv some years back and a scene I think featuring an ex GWR 0-4-2 tank with a single coach but cannot recall the title of the film, has anyone else ever seen this film?

Status
Not open for further replies.