[FR] Vacation in the south of France Part 1: Marseille

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by k-c-p, 28 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-c-p

k-c-p Member

Bonjour,

I have spent a week in Marseille to visit the city and do some trips to other cities in southern France. Aside from a lot of sightseeing, I managed to catch some tram and railway pictures. I will start my report in Marseille. After arriving in Marseille I bought a 72h tram-bus-metro pass, dropped my bags in the hotel and started the (metro) sightseeing trip.

Rubber-Métro

The Métro network consists of two lines (m1 and m2). It went into service in 1977. The trains run on rubber tyres.

A train in "my" station "Joliette", which was located a 5min walk from my hotel.
    [​IMG]

The interieur design is more functional and vandalism-resistent than actually beautiful
    [​IMG]

The overpass at "Castellane" station of line m2 offers a nice view down unto the tracks
    [​IMG]

A picture takes from the steps down to the platform.
    [​IMG]

This train will terminate here and return outbound, because servicse through downtown were suspended due to a suicide attempt. The annoucements put the information in some nicer words: "Suite d'un incident independent de notre volonté ..." / "Due to an incident beyond our control...."). Very tourist-friendly (and pretty uncommon in France): The announcements were in Frensh and English. Simliar to announcements at SNCF rail stations, they began with a jingle.

On the outskirts of Marseille, the Métro runs overground section. After leaving "Bougainville" this train of line m1 runs down the ramp and heads towards downtown.
    [​IMG]

Impressions from my favourite overground section in the vicinity of "Malpassé" station
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From an architectural point of view, most (old) stations were pretty unimpressive and relatively dark. But decide for yourself: Joliette station.
    [​IMG]

In contrast station "Blancarde": newer, brighter and a lot more spacious
    [​IMG]

Some stations were decorated with artwork. As "Joliette" is located in the old port quarter, now revitalized as the "Euromediteranée" quarter, the artwork pays reference to its ship heritage
    [​IMG]

Stone mosaics and light art in "Vieux Port" station
    [​IMG]

A reflection on the "real" trains running above: Artwork of a TGV in "St Charles" station
    [​IMG]

A peak into the Métro tunnel at "Vieux Port"
    [​IMG]

The stairs at "La Fourragère" reminded me, that some stations are pretty deep below the surface
    [​IMG]

Enought about the métro. The tram is next.

Tram

The tram network has two lines. A third one was in testing when I was there. It is supposed to enter revenue service end of May. The trams have a unique design. In the beginning I was a bit skeptical, but in retrospect I liked it. Looks much better in reality than in pictures ;).
    [​IMG]

"Noailles" (T1) station is the only one below the surface. A single track tunnel connects it to the next station "Eugène Pierre" (The tunnel is a remainder of Marseilles old tram network).
    [​IMG]

The tram has left "Eugène Pierre" and runs into the tunnel heading to "Noailles"
    [​IMG]

The tram returns ;)
    [​IMG]

Sharp contrast to the special design of the trams: The station have a no frills look and feel.
    [​IMG]

A look inside the tram. The seats are hard as hell and the back forces you to sit straight. Tinted windows in combination with blinds protect from direct sun light.
    [​IMG]

T2 approaching its terminus "Arenc Le Silo"
    [​IMG]

Just ouside my hotel: The T2 in the "Euromediteranée" quarter
    [​IMG]

Looked really nice after dark
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

T2 makes a turn in front of "Palais Longchamps" and heads to "La Blancarde"
    [​IMG]

The "Palais Longchamps". Children were bathing in the basin of the fountain. I cannot blame them, because the temperature rose to 26°C that day.
    [​IMG]

Tram running along the Boulevard Longchamp
    [​IMG]

Nice paint job ;)
    [​IMG]

"real" Rail

A mixed bouquet of pictures taken in St Charles, Marseilles main station.

I really, really, really like the design of the class BB 22200 locomotives
    [​IMG]

It shows its beauty next to a TGV
    [​IMG]

Train quartett: TGV, BB 22200, AVE and diesel power
    [​IMG]

Lowcost meets International: Ouigo to Marne la Vallée and the AVE to Madrid side by side
    [​IMG]

Since May a regular guest in Marseille: The Eurostar.
    [​IMG]

The facade of St. Charles
    [​IMG]

Trees in the station hall
    [​IMG]

The stairs down to Boulevard Nédelec
    [​IMG]

Testing, 123, Testing ;)
    [​IMG]

Sighseeing

I want to wrap this up, with some sightseeing pictures. It preside over the city: The church "Notre Dame de la garde"
    [​IMG]

The inside is worth a visit too.
    [​IMG]

The square in front of the church offers a great view over the city of Marseille. The old port
    [​IMG]

A landmark: The stadium
    [​IMG]

The sea
    [​IMG]

The bus ride to the church is an adventure: A little bus runs along small, winding roads. As it is crowed as a box of sardines, no need to hold on ;).

An eyecatcher by day and by night: The Mucem.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right next door: The "Villa Méditerranée"
    [​IMG]

The cathedral "La Major" and the triangle-shaped "Musée Regards de Provence"
    [​IMG]

The "Major" at night
    [​IMG]

Art in the "Euromediterranée"-Viertel. Title: "It takes two to tango".
    [​IMG]

Mirror art at the exit of Métro "Vieux Port"
    [​IMG]

Whenever I see these, I cannot believe that these things still exist in France
    [​IMG]

Nice to look at: The court building ("Palais de Justice")
    [​IMG]

A three-master for the rich
    [​IMG]

A have to quote Monty Python on this: "This is an Ex-Parrot". The zoo of Marseille closed in the 80s. A few years ago, the cages were "revitalized" with models of animals in flashy colours
    [​IMG]

My favourite: The Crocodile
    [​IMG]

A surprise on the return trip: A track closure (following a derailment of a freight train), required a detour via Strasbourg for the trains running between Francfurt to Paris. So I managed to catch an unusual guest: An ICE in Strabourg
    [​IMG]

This concludes my little report about Marseille. I really liked the city and can highly recommend to go there to visit. I am looking forward to you feedback.

Adieu
    Charly

2. HilversumNS

HilversumNS Member

Excellent pictures, merci bien.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.