• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[FR] Vacation in the south of France Part 1: Marseille

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Bonjour,

I have spent a week in Marseille to visit the city and do some trips to other cities in southern France. Aside from a lot of sightseeing, I managed to catch some tram and railway pictures. I will start my report in Marseille. After arriving in Marseille I bought a 72h tram-bus-metro pass, dropped my bags in the hotel and started the (metro) sightseeing trip.

Rubber-Métro

The Métro network consists of two lines (m1 and m2). It went into service in 1977. The trains run on rubber tyres.

A train in "my" station "Joliette", which was located a 5min walk from my hotel.
m2_rame_joliette6iye0.jpg

The interieur design is more functional and vandalism-resistent than actually beautiful
m_interieurrubyz.jpg

The overpass at "Castellane" station of line m2 offers a nice view down unto the tracks
m2_castellane1abxn1.jpg

A picture takes from the steps down to the platform.
m2_castellane2v1y0c.jpg

This train will terminate here and return outbound, because servicse through downtown were suspended due to a suicide attempt. The annoucements put the information in some nicer words: "Suite d'un incident independent de notre volonté ..." / "Due to an incident beyond our control...."). Very tourist-friendly (and pretty uncommon in France): The announcements were in Frensh and English. Simliar to announcements at SNCF rail stations, they began with a jingle.

On the outskirts of Marseille, the Métro runs overground section. After leaving "Bougainville" this train of line m1 runs down the ramp and heads towards downtown.
m2_ramp_bougainville71zyn.jpg

Impressions from my favourite overground section in the vicinity of "Malpassé" station
m1_malpasse19ob1o.jpg

m1_malpasse2vmlbd.jpg

m1_malpasse4cpxu5.jpg

m1_malpasse30qz48.jpg

From an architectural point of view, most (old) stations were pretty unimpressive and relatively dark. But decide for yourself: Joliette station.
m2_joliettezhzd0.jpg

In contrast station "Blancarde": newer, brighter and a lot more spacious
m2_la_blancardeiaa9y.jpg

Some stations were decorated with artwork. As "Joliette" is located in the old port quarter, now revitalized as the "Euromediteranée" quarter, the artwork pays reference to its ship heritage
m2_art_jolietteqhxhc.jpg

Stone mosaics and light art in "Vieux Port" station
m1_art_vieuxportbdypd.jpg

A reflection on the "real" trains running above: Artwork of a TGV in "St Charles" station
m_art_tgv_st_charleslwsbz.jpg

A peak into the Métro tunnel at "Vieux Port"
m1_tunnel_vieuxportrbyq3.jpg

The stairs at "La Fourragère" reminded me, that some stations are pretty deep below the surface
m2_la_four_escalier9ylfu.jpg

Enought about the métro. The tram is next.

Tram

The tram network has two lines. A third one was in testing when I was there. It is supposed to enter revenue service end of May. The trams have a unique design. In the beginning I was a bit skeptical, but in retrospect I liked it. Looks much better in reality than in pictures ;).
t2_euromed3tsp0.jpg

"Noailles" (T1) station is the only one below the surface. A single track tunnel connects it to the next station "Eugène Pierre" (The tunnel is a remainder of Marseilles old tram network).
t1_noailles61aqc.jpg

The tram has left "Eugène Pierre" and runs into the tunnel heading to "Noailles"
t1_descentegdb5j.jpg

The tram returns ;)
t1_remonte5tyoy.jpg

Sharp contrast to the special design of the trams: The station have a no frills look and feel.
t_arretpbs8s.jpg

A look inside the tram. The seats are hard as hell and the back forces you to sit straight. Tinted windows in combination with blinds protect from direct sun light.
t_interieur11sd4.jpg

T2 approaching its terminus "Arenc Le Silo"
t2_approche_silogvx7v.jpg

Just ouside my hotel: The T2 in the "Euromediteranée" quarter
t2_soleilsssp7.jpg

Looked really nice after dark
t_nuit7ps7m.jpg

t_nuit20dst6.jpg

T2 makes a turn in front of "Palais Longchamps" and heads to "La Blancarde"
t2_longchamps4os1n.jpg

The "Palais Longchamps". Children were bathing in the basin of the fountain. I cannot blame them, because the temperature rose to 26°C that day.
r_longchampsjflbm.jpg

Tram running along the Boulevard Longchamp
t2_vertpise1.jpg

Nice paint job ;)
t2_graffitijsspo.jpg

"real" Rail

A mixed bouquet of pictures taken in St Charles, Marseilles main station.

I really, really, really like the design of the class BB 22200 locomotives
train_locop0s6e.jpg

It shows its beauty next to a TGV
train_loco_tgvpussd.jpg

Train quartett: TGV, BB 22200, AVE and diesel power
train_4ercgsz1.jpg

Lowcost meets International: Ouigo to Marne la Vallée and the AVE to Madrid side by side
train_st_charles_ave_k0snh.jpg

Since May a regular guest in Marseille: The Eurostar.
train_eurostarbcs23.jpg

The facade of St. Charles
train_st_charles1kishf.jpg

Trees in the station hall
train_st_charles_nuitltsrs.jpg

The stairs down to Boulevard Nédelec
train_st_charles_esca64sz8.jpg

Testing, 123, Testing ;)
train_testtest4hscw.jpg

Sighseeing

I want to wrap this up, with some sightseeing pictures. It preside over the city: The church "Notre Dame de la garde"
r_port_ndgrhau9.jpg

The inside is worth a visit too.
r_ndg_vue_int9wbuk.jpg

The square in front of the church offers a great view over the city of Marseille. The old port
r_ndg_vue_port6fy1j.jpg

A landmark: The stadium
r_ndg_vue_stadegdxj5.jpg

The sea
r_ndg_vue_meryrae3.jpg

The bus ride to the church is an adventure: A little bus runs along small, winding roads. As it is crowed as a box of sardines, no need to hold on ;).

An eyecatcher by day and by night: The Mucem.
r_mucem_nuittay8a.jpg

r_mucem_nuit20uzur.jpg

Right next door: The "Villa Méditerranée"
r_villalfz0l.jpg

The cathedral "La Major" and the triangle-shaped "Musée Regards de Provence"
r_la_major6napj.jpg

The "Major" at night
r_la_major_nuitzga9e.jpg

Art in the "Euromediterranée"-Viertel. Title: "It takes two to tango".
r_tangop9xmc.jpg

Mirror art at the exit of Métro "Vieux Port"
r_port_artylxm8.jpg

Whenever I see these, I cannot believe that these things still exist in France
r_wcrslem.jpg

Nice to look at: The court building ("Palais de Justice")
r_palais_djrzy75.jpg

A three-master for the rich
r_port_3master22aq7.jpg

A have to quote Monty Python on this: "This is an Ex-Parrot". The zoo of Marseille closed in the 80s. A few years ago, the cages were "revitalized" with models of animals in flashy colours
r_parrotx1zle.jpg

My favourite: The Crocodile
crocoo2ub7.jpg

A surprise on the return trip: A track closure (following a derailment of a freight train), required a detour via Strasbourg for the trains running between Francfurt to Paris. So I managed to catch an unusual guest: An ICE in Strabourg
ice_sb9xaeh.jpg

This concludes my little report about Marseille. I really liked the city and can highly recommend to go there to visit. I am looking forward to you feedback.

Adieu
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.