• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of Devon and Cornwall rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
At very short notice I've booked myself a week off starting Sunday. (I'm self employed)

Starting silly hour Sunday morning travelling down to Highbridge from Hemel Hempstead. My dad has a caravan there, so it will save a lot on B&B

Day 1: The plan is to head to Exeter early Monday morning then straight to Penzance. Travel the St Ives branch. Back to Liskeard and stay over night B&B in Looe.

Day 2: From Looe to Plymouth, Gunnislake branch, Plymouth to Exeter and Exmouth branch before heading back to Highbridge.

Day 3: Back to Exeter, Barnstable branch and Axminster.

I know I could do more branches i.e.Newquay etc but there's only so long I can spend inside a train.

I'm hoping to get a ride on a 143. :D

I prefer to track bash as opposed to riding stock.

Back to Hemel Hempstead on Thursday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
When you talk of travelling early on Monday morning, just remember that the ticket is only valid after 09:00.

Sounds like it will be very enjoyable.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That sounds like a great little trip Peter. It's probably good to enjoy a bit of time in the different places than try and do everything.
Have you been on any of the lines before?

iantherev

If you're going from Exeter to Penzance I would recommend the 09:33 which is a HST rather than the 10:18 which is a Class 150.

PeterY

Established Member
When you talk of travelling early on Monday morning, just remember that the ticket is only valid after 09:00.

I've already purchased an anytime return from Highbridge to Exeter. I do aim to catch the 09.33 from Exeter. I try to avoid as much as possible Cross Country trains.<(<(

The furthest I've been is Plymouth, so lots of new track.

richw

Veteran Member

Also valid on the down sleeper from Exeter St Davids only (except mondays- oops missed his plan was for Monday)

noddy1878

Established Member
Hope you have a good time and the weather is on your side! Some stunning scenery on much of the route!

PeterY

Established Member
I've now completed my trip to Devon and Cornwall. So here's the update.

New lines bashed: Plymouth to Penzance. St Erth to St Ives. Plymouth to Gunnislake. Exeter to Axminster. Liskeard to Looe.

Staff: All GWR staff I came across were professional, customer focused, friendly and a pleasure to talk to. Except one guard but that's life.

All trains were clean on the inside but some 150's on the outside left a lot to be desired.

New classes: 143, 153 and 159.

This trip was my first ever ride on a pacer 143 617 from Exeter to Exmouth. It was a bit rough over the points. I wish a pacer was booked when I went to Barnstable. I wonder what it'd of been like across jointed track at speed. One advantage was good views from the windows but it got very warm inside when the sun came out.

Cross country. What's causing that horrible smell when you climb onboard??:oops: My opinion only, their rolling stock isn't fit for purpose, over crowded, cramped on the inside but fun watching people with lots of luggage trying to find unreserved seats.

I used for the first time a request stop. Umberleigh.

You hear some strange conversations on trains. One I won't go into, overheard between two young girls.:roll:

I got chatted up by an older lady having a smoke in the bike shed at Plymouth.:D

Rail miles, including starting and returning to Hemel Hempstead today = 1,013

I also met Geoff and Vicki doing their "all the stations" project.

Attachments

• P1170905.jpg
    P1170905.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 27

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Glad you had a good time :)

The horrid smell when you climb aboard the XC service would've been the toilet - from what I've heard it's rare to find one that doesn't stink like that.

What was bad about the one guard that you didn't like?

noddy1878

Established Member
Good to see you had an enjoyable time! I'm guessing the weather held out for you too? What was your favourite line you did?

PeterY

Established Member
Good to see you had an enjoyable time! I'm guessing the weather held out for you too? What was your favourite line you did?
Looe line was interesting, very slow and scenic.Stepping out onto the platform at Coombe Jct. Just so many firsts for me. Having never done Devon and Cornwall past Plymouth before. I enjoyed the whole lot, it was all new. Seeing all the viaducts and Saltash bridge that I'd only ever seen in photographs. WOW.

Crossover

Established Member
I did a FoDC rover last year - lovely part of the world

As for Pacers, being in the North, they're our staple. I don't advocate going on one over a set of points at speed!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad you enjoyed your trip. All the branch lines have their own character and charm. On the Barnstaple line there's a brilliant bit of jointed track on the last stretch after Umberleigh that gets a right bounce on in a Pacer. I can see the Cowley end of the line from my front garden and actually as I write this there's a train squealing around the bend. :)

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Glad you enjoyed your trip. All the branch lines have their own character and charm. On the Barnstaple line there's a brilliant bit of jointed track on the last stretch after Umberleigh that gets a right bounce on in a Pacer. I can see the Cowley end of the line from my front garden and actually as I write this there's a train squealing around the bend. :)

lucky to see trains from your house, I can on see the trackbed of the taunton-barnstaple line they ripped up in 1966 from my window.

Status
Not open for further replies.