• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freedom of North West Rover IDEAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

As I consider using a North West Rover (currently based in Manchester but plan to move to Blackburn soon) at some point to have a bit more freedom in and out of my local area, I'd like some suggestions of places (preferably towns) to stop over. I've already visited every city in the North of England, so ticking off new cities isn't on the agenda here, although I do consider revisiting Lancaster to explore it a bit better. The main incentives for using the rover would be to clear the Settle Carlisle and Cumbrian Coast lines (one on each day followed by a zip down the WCML from Carlisle on the way back), as I'm yet to ride either. As for those two lines in particular, where would you recommend stopping? I'm drawn to Settle and Appleby for SC and Whitehaven for CC, but are there any other good towns to stop over to explore or are they the best ones? Is it worth going up to Dumfries as well given that's part of the rover too? What other itineraries do you recommend with this rover? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Loads of choice... Would certainly recommend the sections of the Cumbrian Coast line from Lancaster to Whitehaven via Barrow. And the Settle and Carlisle between Skipton and Appleby.

For a less travelled route, how about Skipton to Lancaster via Wennington.

Dumfries, Chester and Hebden Bridge are all worth a half day visit, IMHO.

When you thinking of going? Also, are you travelling 4 days in 8 or for a full 7 day week? You obviously need to avoid the upcoming rail strike days in October and you might wish to avoid travel in November after the clocks have changed and it gets dark before 5 p.m.

north_west_rover.gif

(Schematic map showing extent of North West Rover validity).

xotGD

Established Member
Hebden Bridge and Skipton are well worth visiting. Also Halifax for the Piece Hall.

Ayman Ilham

Hebden Bridge and Skipton are well worth visiting. Also Halifax for the Piece Hall.
Been to all three of them before; wouldn't mind visiting again ;)
Loads of choice... Would certainly recommend the sections of the Cumbrian Coast line from Lancaster to Whitehaven via Barrow. And the Settle and Carlisle between Skipton and Appleby.

For a less travelled route, how about Skipton to Lancaster via Wennington.

Dumfries, Chester and Hebden Bridge are all worth a half day visit, IMHO.

When you thinking of going? Also, are you travelling 4 days in 8 or for a full 7 day week? You obviously need to avoid the upcoming rail strike days in October and you might wish to avoid travel in November after the clocks have changed and it gets dark before 5 p.m.
Whitehaven definitely seems like the best place to stopover for an hour or two on the Cumbrian Coast; very attractive town, likewise for Appleby on Settle Carlisle. Might try the Skipton to Lancaster line too on whatever day I decide to explore Lancaster too. I'm thinking explore Lancaster, ride the line to Skipton and then bash a 333 to Leeds.

Well, I'm looking to do a 4in8 day rover some time in October once the strikes are over and done with; it's just 1st and 5th right?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Well, I'm looking to do a 4in8 day rover some time in October once the strikes are over and done with; it's just 1st and 5th right?
Believe that RMT are also on strike on Saturday 8th October 2022. This could well adversely impact use of a North West Rover.

xotGD

Established Member
Airedale has plenty to offer:

Saltaire - World heritage site, Salts Mill

Bingley - Five rise locks (nice cafe at the top!)

Keighley - KWVR for a ride on a proper train and the museums at Ingrow West.

Veteran Member
In addition to Whitehaven you could stop off ar Ravenglass for the railway. Ulverston isn't bad either for an odd hour.

ChrisC

Established Member
In addition to Whitehaven you could stop off ar Ravenglass for the railway. Ulverston isn't bad either for an odd hour.
Even without the railway Ravenglass is a lovely place to wander around for an hour. I agree Ulverston isn’t bad and I would also add that Arnside, Grange-Over-Sands and St Bees are all places that are worth looking around for a short stop of an hour. Maryport is very interesting down by the harbour, but some of the walk from the station is a bit grim.

Zamracene749

Don't rule out Hexham. It's a nice little town, with the abbey and the Old Gaol museum to visit, lots of nice coffee shops and an attractive station with an interesting signalbox.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So many good options here, I must try and remember some of them for myself on future tours.

I'd back the idea of doing the Skipton-Lancaster via Giggleswick line, it's a nice one to do. Never been off at the stations on the S&C, so can't help you there. Given your location of Manchester, and soon to be Blackburn, I would normally recommend the Calder Valley line, but you've clearly done that lot already.

If you haven't done it already, the one train a day to Heysham Port is a must, mostly for the novelty admittedly given how infrequent it is. There's a really nice bakery not that far at all from Bare Lane station, I cannot remember what it's called but I rated it highly when I was up there some years back. Windermere's a nice and pretty ride for sure, one that I need to go back and do on a proper visit to the Lakes.

Cumbrian Coast is definitely a nice journey, and might I suggest breaking the journey at somewhere like Braystones (I think that's it, a name like it at least) for the experience of the coast at one of the more remote parts of the line? It is possible to walk to a more frequently served station too, but I forget what one it was in Geoff Marshall's video. Definitely a nice journey to do, and I've not really broken the journey that much on the line apart from one to do the Ravenglass & Eskdale line. That was worth doing too.

Dumfries I can't help with, I suspect it would be worth at least an hour of exploring.

Whatever you do, I reckon you'll have an amazing time!

Ayman Ilham

So many good options here, I must try and remember some of them for myself on future tours.
I'd back the idea of doing the Skipton-Lancaster via Giggleswick line, it's a nice one to do. Never been off at the stations on the S&C, so can't help you there. Given your location of Manchester, and soon to be Blackburn, I would normally recommend the Calder Valley line, but you've clearly done that lot already.
I know; hence why it'll definitely be a rover I could keep coming back to, even better that my new house will be within walking distance from Cherry Tree station so I can jump straight in from the get-go without having to get a bus or taxi to Manchester Piccadilly from the outskirts of the city beforehand. Caldervale I've done before from Rochdale to Leeds (done a couple of RCD-MCV shuttles beforehand) once, but I'm yet to ride the more scenic Hebden Bridge to Burnley bit; didn't bother mentioning it cos it's a line I'll automatically be covering anyway given my location, not that I've done all of it already.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know; hence why it'll definitely be a rover I could keep coming back to, even better that my new house will be within walking distance from Cherry Tree station so I can jump straight in from the get-go without having to get a bus or taxi to Manchester Piccadilly from the outskirts of the city beforehand. Caldervale I've done before from Rochdale to Leeds (done a couple of RCD-MCV shuttles beforehand) once, but I'm yet to ride the more scenic Hebden Bridge to Burnley bit; didn't bother mentioning it cos it's a line I'll automatically be covering anyway given my location, not that I've done all of it already.

That's quite handy then! Much better location than where you are now :) I'm walking distance from my local station too, it's so much easier than having to worry about connecting to/from a train!

I haven't done Hebden Bridge to Burnley for a mighty long time, so I can't immediately remember if it's better than Rochdale-Hebden Bridge, but I do like the latter a lot. I need to return to the area for some thorough exploring!

Quite, you've reminded me that it has been a good long while since my last rover trip, I might have to change this soon. I wonder what rover it will be!

Llandudno

Established Member
Try a trip to Merseyrail land..

Southport
Ormskirk (especially Thursday market day)
Blundellsands for the Gormley Statues
James Street for Liverpool Waterfront
New Brighton for great Mersey views
West Kirby, pleasant waterfront overlooking Dee Estuary
Port Sunlight, Lever Bros model village
Chester

peri

Hebden Bridge to Burnley is lovely climbing up the narrowing valley until there's just the road alongside, crap once you're heading down to Burnley, though!
Thinking on, I've travelled loads that way, but never in the other direction.
If you stop in Carnforth there is a very good bookshop.

nanstallon

Grange-over-Sands is a delightful old fashioned seaside town, with a splendidly preserved station. Ulverston has a bus service to Haverthwaite, where you can travel on a steam train (not included in the Rover ticket) to Windermere and a ride on a steamer on the lake.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Grange-over-Sands is a delightful old fashioned seaside town, with a splendidly preserved station. Ulverston has a bus service to Haverthwaite, where you can travel on a steam train (not included in the Rover ticket) to Windermere and a ride on a steamer on the lake.
The same hourly bus (=X6 between Barrow-in-Furness and Kendal) which calls at Haverthwaite, can also be boarded at Grange-over-Sands (the bus stop is located outside the station) as well as at Ulverston.

Status
Not open for further replies.