• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Over the past couple of months I seem to have noticed an increased amount of freight traffic over the lines through Stoke-on-Trent.

Firstly, does anybody know if this is an actual increase in traffic or have I, for whatever reason, just noticed this level of traffic until now?

Secondly, if it is an actual increase in traffic, does it have anything to do with the closure of the line between Crewe and Cheadle Hulme?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Some of it will be the Intermodal flows to/from Trafford Park, but as for the rest of it, no idea....

clagmonster

Established Member
Yes, many flow will be diverted services from Crewe-Cheadle, for example Trafford Park intermodals. Also, I suppose it is possible that some WCML traffic could run via Stocke now Longport-Crewe is electrified, however I see that as unlikeley as Norton Bridge-Crew is 4-track throughout. I don't know of any new services to anywhere in the Stoke area.

Guinness

Established Member
Early morning Intermodal comes through even when the Wilmslow Line is open. Problem is with the Colwich Line is the 2 tracking from Hixon Lines - Cheadle Hulme means more freight would slow up XC and WC and Northern already do that mainly near Adlington on the southbound line.

Status
Not open for further replies.