• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight to Kingswear 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptnJenks

I have a 1949 working timetable for the Exeter Division, and there is no freight to Kingswear. I know freight trains ran from there, as i have seen the photos. so why are they not in the timetable? Would they have been inserted at short notice between other services? or was there actually no freight? There is evidence of timetabled milk trains to Kensington from Penzance though, which shows some freight would have been included, so is that all the freight? Am i missing something?

Your help is appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
No expert but I believe coasters called in very randomly with sea borne gas coal for Torquay or maybe Newton Abbot - which was dealt with by the railway on an "as required" basis ...hardly a money maker with such a short haul , but there would have been plenty of empty coal wagons around from inwards domestic flows.

Typical of the old railway in carrying any traffic - but which would have much prefered the long rail haul from say the York, Notts and Derby coalfield.

CptnJenks

Ok. I guess the question in a nutshell is would freight often be added to the working timetable on a week by week basis? Or is the timetable like law?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Ok. I guess the question in a nutshell is would freight often be added to the working timetable on a week by week basis? Or is the timetable like law?

The possibility of running non timetabled trains , even today is quite straightforward - and much easier in the past.

A "control special" could be conjured up in about an hour - especially say in the 9 months of the year that the once busy passenger service to Kingswear in the summer was not running. Places in the West Country had plenty of traincrew and resourceful signalmen could slot in extra trains if told / asked to do so.

CptnJenks

The possibility of running non timetabled trains , even today is quite straightforward - and much easier in the past.

A "control special" could be conjured up in about an hour - especially say in the 9 months of the year that the once busy passenger service to Kingswear in the summer was not running. Places in the West Country had plenty of traincrew and resourceful signalmen could slot in extra trains if told / asked to do so.

Please define a "control Special". Thanks.

Veteran Member
Please define a "control Special". Thanks.

A special train organised by the relevant Train Control office for the area (Division, District etc., the terminology varied).

I have the Summer 1949 WTT and it shows SX

6.25am Hackney Yard to Kingswear 9.25 returning 2.30 due 5.10.

There were also 2 to Brixham and 1 to Goodrington.

CptnJenks

A special train organised by the relevant Train Control office for the area (Division, District etc., the terminology varied).

I have the Summer 1949 WTT and it shows SX

6.25am Hackney Yard to Kingswear 9.25 returning 2.30 due 5.10.

There were also 2 to Brixham and 1 to Goodrington.

That is the same one that I have. I must have missed that train. Would others have been put on if they were needed, I.E. if a shipment had arrived at Kingswear?

Taunton

Established Member
Coal for the Kingswear-Dartmouth ferry was another load.

There was a very considerable amount of freight not in the timetable. All the seasonal produce etc trains from the West Country that only ran when required (the "Broccoli Specials" from Cornwall). Cattle trains to/from regional agricultural market days likewise. Also it was not uncommon for a freight to load up to maximum, any extra load would be put on a special running afterwards.

Accumulations of empty wagons would be worked off to where they were next wanted or stored very much on an "as required" basis.

CptnJenks

Coal for the Kingswear-Dartmouth ferry was another load.

There was a very considerable amount of freight not in the timetable. All the seasonal produce etc trains from the West Country that only ran when required (the "Broccoli Specials" from Cornwall). Cattle trains to/from regional agricultural market days likewise. Also it was not uncommon for a freight to load up to maximum, any extra load would be put on a special running afterwards.

Accumulations of empty wagons would be worked off to where they were next wanted or stored very much on an "as required" basis.

So would this all just be slotted in at convenient times, using whatever engine was available and suitable at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.