• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner 70012

ac6000cw

Established Member
There's some discussion of couplers in the comments on YouTube, including a reference to the "draught centre" being different between US and UK. That phrase means nothing to me (and search engines get diverted away into irrelevant draught excluders and draught beer :(), but it might refer to coupler height.
AFAIK in the US the 'draft gear' is the shock absorbing mechanism behind the centre coupler ('draw gear' in the UK?). It fits in a space in the vehicle underframe (I think this space is sometimes called a 'coupler pocket'). So I guess the 'draft center' is the centre line of the draft gear i.e. the coupler height, as you suggest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Yes, it's draught (or draft) as in pull (think of draught horses, or pulling pints of draught beer), rather than draught as in unwanted air movements. (although the derivation is the same - hence the airflow used to draw a fire)