• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 57/0 old diagrams & workings

sfbasher

Morning all,

Can anyone help with assisting, or finding information in relation to Freightliner Class 57/0 common diagrams and workings from the early 2000's?

I assume they covered a wide area of the UK as various images from the internet seem to confirm this?

Thanks for your help with this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class15

On Moderation
Hi there,

As no-one has provided an answer yet I thought I’d help slightly, although I don’t have much knowledge.

From what I know Freightliner’s Class 47s and 57s in the early years worked largely to Southampton as trains to Ipswich and Tilbury were handled by the electric 86 and 90 locomotives. However, diesels would presumably have had to work the unelectrified branch to Felixstowe. 57s and 47s also did work some trains to Tilbury and Felixstowe from unelectrified terminals.

8A Rail

Established Member
The Class 57/0's were common at Garston FLT and Seaforth CT for trains to and from Crewe BH during that time.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I have a photo of a 57 near Didcot (Goring and Streatley area) in 2007 going north around lunchtime/early-afternoon.

sfbasher

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I am looking to create some content for Train Simulator, so it would be interesting if anyone knows of the routes out of Southampton which were taken, and their end points?

HOOVER29

I know they worked to & from Lawley Street & also to Crewe as I used to photograph them at Nuneaton, Tamworth & Water Orton

Otis

If you go onto flickr https://www.flickr.com/groups/britishlocos/pool/ and search for individual locos 57001 then 57002 then 57003 etc you'll find a few photos of them from the freightliner era (in amongst manyothers). Some will have captions of the working, with a bit of time and effort you can build up a list of operations:

For example:

Class15

On Moderation
If you go onto flickr https://www.flickr.com/groups/britishlocos/pool/ and search for individual locos 57001 then 57002 then 57003 etc you'll find a few photos of them from the freightliner era (in amongst manyothers). Some will have captions of the working, with a bit of time and effort you can build up a list of operations:

For example:

Now Ditton - Felixstowe is one thing I didn’t expect them to have worked!

Adrian Barr

A quick look at a 2003 Freightmaster shows 57s working Freightliners from Southampton to Lawley Street, Garston, Ripple Lane, and also a Coatbridge service as far as Crewe. The Southampton to Lawley Street / Garston and Crewe services would have most likely run via Basingstoke, Oxford, Leamington, Coventry and Nuneaton. Ripple Lane could have been via Reading or Woking, not sure.

There are also some other 57 workings shown from Thamesport (Grain) to Lawley Street, Ipswich to Lawley Street, and Ipswich to Wentloog

There was also a quirky Ipswich - Tilbury service, generally routed via Stratford (run round at Temple Mills ??) but seen here diverting via Cambridge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/11065039305/

As suggested above, some delving in flickr for specific loco numbers should give a good idea of the routes used (you can use advanced search to limit the date range when the pics were taken)

sfbasher

Hi everyone.

Again thank you for this information - it's been a great help.

One final query - does anyone one how many intermodal wagons the loco would haul, on a typical service?

ac6000cw

Established Member
There was also a quirky Ipswich - Tilbury service, generally routed via Stratford (run round at Temple Mills ??) but seen here diverting via Cambridge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/11065039305/
It ran regularly via Cambridge during the period when the 2012 Olympics related construction work was going on at Stratford. I used to see the Tilbury - Ipswich train at Cambridge station on weekday mornings, waiting for a path on the single line to Newmarket.

Adrian Barr

One final query - does anyone one how many intermodal wagons the loco would haul, on a typical service?

The exact length would vary to different destinations, but based on a few YouTube clips, 20 to 24 wagons would be typical. They could also sometimes run with shorter formations of 15 wagons or so.