• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner openings from 14th to 25th May '14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NX

Good to see the £1000s worth of taxpayer funded student loans in media and social studies would go towards a career that requires a degree !

NX

455driver

Veteran Member
Good to see the £1000s worth of taxpayer funded student loans in media and social studies would go towards a career that requires a degree !

NX

Does it really!
Where does it say that then?

NX

It (as in the advert) doesn't, I do as a general comment.

A student goes to university at great personal and national cost, completes a degree which isn't specific to a profession such as teaching, medicine etc. Leaves university with a huge debt, then goes into a role which doesn't require a degree such a train driving.

I very much doubt a degree will see the candidate through the train driver assessments, it may make them more attractive at the application stage, it may also assist them in their initial training.

I personal wouldn't go to the expense of university, then end up in a role that didn't require my degree, Id rather study for a degree which is a requirement of my chosen career path.

A lot of careers now require or have a degree as a desirable requirement for employment as employers rightly or wrongly assume that a graduate is better suited to the role they are employing for.

Train driving is an acquired skill, the initial learning curve is steep and rightly so. However over years of hands on experience the role becomes easier, no less attention and concentration is required but the actual task of driving becomes easier through experience.

You don't need a degree to drive a train.

I had the option to go on to university many years ago, however I chose to enter into a trade which gave me a skill. I came out of that training program with my chosen skill and zero debt I'm pleased to say. Many of my friends who chose the university route, left study with huge debt, yes with the degree but so did 1000s of others. Over half of them are now unemployed or employed in roles which don't require a degree, or are in totally unrelated fields to what the degree is in.

NX

455driver

Veteran Member
This whole 'must go to University and get a degree' rubbish is no use unless you know what you want to do career wise and that career requires a (relevant) degree.

There are an awful lot of careers that do not require a degree.

There are also some courses out there which are a complete waste of time and money for everyone involved including the ones that get a mention in the papers such as a degree in the Simpsons etc.

455driver

Veteran Member
Yep just not in so many words! ;)

Well done on your choices, they seem to have worked out well for you.

NX

Cheers mate, I prefer to say a thousand words and be understood, than half a dozen and be misunderstood.

NX

Established Member
Part of the problem is also the fact that, as there are increasingly more graduates, and often less graduate scheme/positions available, then invariably there will be those leaving university who no doubt will apply for non-graduate roles. Plus, there seems to be a realisation that the pay and benefits of a railway career are a lot better than what is currently on offer elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.