• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner shunt driver assessment info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Hi
My friend has got through to the assessment stage for frieghtliner shunt driver and been given a big list of tests that he will do on the day.
Group bourdon
Driver fault finding test
Test of every day attention
Wafv vigilance
Start perception
2 hand co ordination
Situational judgement
Multi modal interview
Manager interview

Does anyone know what all these seperate test involve
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joliver

Hi,
There is heaps and heaps of info on here. Just search through the different threads. Use key words to pinpoint what you're looking for. Use the magnifying glass in the top right corner.

Mgv1349

Hi
My friend has got through to the assessment stage for frieghtliner shunt driver and been given a big list of tests that he will do on the day.
Group bourdon
Driver fault finding test
Test of every day attention
Wafv vigilance
Start perception
2 hand co ordination
Situational judgement
Multi modal interview
Manager interview

Does anyone know what all these seperate test involve
Many thanks
He should recieve practice materials for all of these but on the stage 1 assessment will only do half of the tests you have mentioned and if successful then go for stage two and do the rest.

Groggy

He should recieve practice materials for all of these but on the stage 1 assessment will only do half of the tests you have mentioned and if successful then go for stage two and do the rest.
hi
he received email but no practice material?

Stigy

Established Member
hi
Hi, when is his assessment day? It’s correct that he should have received practice material. I suggest calling the OPC and ask them directly if he still hasn’t received any.

GJL9916

hi

Are you sure there's no attachments included with the email? I can forward the email on to you if you want to PM me your email address

GJL9916

these are the three practise sheets that come with the email, just in case you can't get in touch with the OPC but I would defo chase them up about it

Attachments

• DFFT Practice Additions.pdf
    261.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DFFT Practice Leaflet.pdf
    615.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Train driver practice materials.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 31

S26Crewe

these are the three practise sheets that come with the email, just in case you can't get in touch with the OPC but I would defo chase them up about it
Thanks, that's really helpful.
I'd chased them up, and thankfully have some practice material from my last assessment as no doubt I'll be waiting for them to issue it.

Twotwo

Thanks, that's really helpful.
I'd chased them up, and thankfully have some practice material from my last assessment as no doubt I'll be waiting for them to issue it.

Are you redoing any of the tests?

Stigy

Established Member
Apparently they will confirm which I have to redo, having already got a pass.
They do this on the day. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to to the Group Bourden and DFFT when I turned up (I assumed at the time all TOCs and FOCs used the same 3-year rule but found Freightliner used them for 5-years). Unfortunately the GB was the very first test and the DFFT was the last one so I was there for the duration anyway.

Twotwo

They do this on the day. I was pleasantly surprised that I only had to to the Group Bourden and DFFT when I turned up (I assumed at the time all TOCs and FOCs used the same 3-year rule but found Freightliner used them for 5-years). Unfortunately the GB was the very first test and the DFFT was the last one so I was there for the duration anyway.

Did you redo it to achieve enhanced mark or did you fail it previously?

Stigy

Established Member
Did you redo it to achieve enhanced mark or did you fail it previously?
I had national standard passes which were still current, so just needed to do the tests which required enhanced marks (DFFT and GB). I was surprised there was an enhanced pass for the GB test to be honest. The DFFT is an additional one which is only for enhanced.

Twotwo

I had national standard passes which were still current, so just needed to do the tests which required enhanced marks (DFFT and GB). I was surprised there was an enhanced pass for the GB test to be honest. The DFFT is an additional one which is only for enhanced.

It's all a bit confusing. I've heard the GB and the tea occ are the only tests that are marked national or enhanced.

Stigy

Established Member
It's all a bit confusing. I've heard the GB and the tea occ are the only tests that are marked national or enhanced.
The Tea-Occ may have been also, but I was unaware either way because my original pass was to the enhanced standard for that test maybe? I know the DFFT is an additional one for enhanced only. I didn’t even know there were two standards before I applied to Freightliner. It is confusing.

Twotwo

The Tea-Occ May have been also, but my original pass was to the enhanced standard? I know the DFFT is an additional one for enhanced only. I didn’t even know there were two standards before I applied to Freightliner. It is confusing.

I wonder if it counts as a life for that toc that require enhanced if you pass national elsewhere..

Stigy

Established Member
I wonder if it counts as a life for that toc that require enhanced if you pass national elsewhere..
As I understand it, there’s a life lost for the enhanced standard if you don’t meet that and the TOC is assessing to that level, but not for national standard. So it’s not an over all life lost as long as you meet the national standard.

GJL9916

As I understand it, there’s a life lost for the enhanced standard if you don’t meet that and the TOC is assessing to that level, but not for national standard. So it’s not an over all life lost as long as you meet the national standard.

I don't think there's national and enhanced lives as such, there is only one pass mark and that's the RSSB national standard, any other 'enhanced' pass marks are set by the TOC or FOC themselves so unless they have a ruling themselves eg if freightliner only let you take the tests twice and not meet their enhanced standard then in theory you should be able to have as many goes as you want as DB cargo for example wouldn't rule you out as you haven't met Freightliner pass marks, so as long as people are getting the RSSB standard pass then i'm pretty sure the only thing that will stop you applying in the future is the 6 month rule (or at least that's how I understand it!)

Would be nice to read an official stance on this though!

Stigy

Established Member
I don't think there's national and enhanced lives as such, there is only one pass mark and that's the RSSB national standard, any other 'enhanced' pass marks are set by the TOC or FOC themselves so unless they have a ruling themselves eg if freightliner only let you take the tests twice and not meet their enhanced standard then in theory you should be able to have as many goes as you want as DB cargo for example wouldn't rule you out as you haven't met Freightliner pass marks, so as long as people are getting the RSSB standard pass then i'm pretty sure the only thing that will stop you applying in the future is the 6 month rule (or at least that's how I understand it!)

Would be nice to read an official stance on this though!
I see, that makes sense. Agreed it would be good to see an official stance. I don’t think there is anything written anywhere to this nature though, or if it is it’s well hidden. From experience, the OPC don’t seem sure about half of these things sometimes, and it’s their bread and butter!

Stigy

Established Member
thanks all for replys
does anyone know what the MMI is?
It’s the Multi-Modal Interview. Search it here at this forum and there’s an abundance of advice and tips available. It’s best not to worry about this until you’ve passed the stage one tests though as otherwise it’ll be too much to take in and just isn’t worth the extra hassle at this stage.

Groggy

It’s the Multi-Modal Interview. Search it here at this forum and there’s an abundance of advice and tips available. It’s best not to worry about this until you’ve passed the stage one tests though as otherwise it’ll be too much to take in and just isn’t worth the extra hassle at this stage.
Ok thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.