• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

I called and spoke to Jo at The OPC just now. She is chasing FL to find out why they are yet to contact me to give me an interview date - small comfort as it just means I still have no real answer as to when it will be and time continues to march on.

I had my DMI nearly two weeks ago and have yet to hear anything. However some people who did stage two just last week heard back within a day or so. So I’m not sure how they work things!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stanstaff

From memory the hand coordination one is speed and accuracy (the common theme with these tests to be honest). Don’t worry about straying outside the lines but get back in as soon and as accurately as possible. It was a while ago I did these but they haven’t changed so the principle is the same. I strayed a few times but passed.
Thanks for the reply and the tips.

mumrar

Established Member
I had my DMI nearly two weeks ago and have yet to hear anything. However some people who did stage two just last week heard back within a day or so. So I’m not sure how they work things!
It is very odd and frustrating a little, when I don't require to do any Stage 2 tests but I think some people who did Stage 1 on the same day (30th August) have received their dates for Stage 2 tests.

xtradj

It is very odd and frustrating a little, when I don't require to do any Stage 2 tests but I think some people who did Stage 1 on the same day (30th August) have received their dates for Stage 2 tests.

I was saying this to someone else, that those who have done stage two with other tocs seem to be at disadvantage to those who haven’t done them. It seems the ones who hadn’t done stage two before are being pushed through quicker. Hopefully you get a date soon!

4F89

Had a call back today to organise medical! Had stage 2 on Friday for Crewe depot.... Eeek!

4F89

Cheers bud.

Does anyone that has been through the DMI remember the training pay structure?

mumrar

Established Member
I've just received an email back from the OPC telling me I need to wait up to another two weeks just for the contact from Freightliner, perhaps I'm at the front of the queue for the class of 2020?

"Thanks for your email and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve spoken to Freightliner and they will look into this and contact you within the next 2 weeks. Please bear with them as they’re interviewing all week, but they will be in touch."

Well done on passing DMI and getting to the medical Jimathy

Jonathan110

Cheers bud.

They told me £19... for first 12 weeks then upto £24... While doing your hours at depot until you sign your first route.
Im in for HH not sure if intermodal is the same.
They also told me a payrise is due Oct 1st so will probably go up.

Congratulations on passing through to medical.

Last edited:

Trakky

Cheers bud.

Hi mate congrats getting through ive got my medical on Friday from memory it was:
20k 11 weeks
With a 3% currently being processed can't remember the time periods for the other training rates sorry bud

jaybarts

Yeh, hopefully we’ll be working together in the future! Feels close now but don’t want to get too excited yet.

Bristol VRIII

Yeh, hopefully we’ll be working together in the future! Feels close now but don’t want to get too excited yet.

Awesome nice one mate yeah I know what you mean passing the medical is the last hurdle!, when did you have your stage 2 take it your in the pool waiting for a medical and start date too?, Crebbs has also applied for the same depot but is waiting final assessments so that should be 3 then there's the people not using the forum that have applied so hopefully not too long to wait

jaybarts

I had my stage 2 on the 21st, my email didn’t mention a talent pool just wanted some of my details for a medical.

I’m assuming I’ll be placed in a pool awaiting a start date once the medical is done.

Jonathan110

Awesome nice one mate yeah I know what you mean passing the medical is the last hurdle!, when did you have your stage 2 take it your in the pool waiting for a medical and start date too?, Crebbs has also applied for the same depot but is waiting final assessments so that should be 3 then there's the people not using the forum that have applied so hopefully not too long to wait

Im also in the pool for Peterborough waiting for medical and start date. Did stage 2 on the 5th.

Hi mate congrats getting through ive got my medical on Friday from memory it was:
20k 11 weeks
With a 3% currently being processed can't remember the time periods for the other training rates sorry bud
This was IM pay rate wasn’t it. 40k after 33 weeks and the 46k after 72 weeks?

Stigy

Established Member
So today I decided, as part of my research in Freightliner, to visit the depot I applied to. It’s easy enough because a) I work for a TOC anyway and B) Their Office is at a Railway Station. My intention was to just talk to a few drivers to get an insight in to the role, find out about routes and what they their views are on Freightliner etc. The only driver I spoke to had been driving trains for 30 years and to be honest just didn’t seem to care much, however he did point me in the direction of the Driver Managers’ Office next door.

I wasn’t expecting to actually be able to speak to a manager so that was a bonus and they both gave me some great info about routes, shifts and likely things to focus on at the interviews. I didn’t want to ask too many specifics because as I said, I went there with the view of doing some research in order to prep for the interviews.

One thing I did ask was what exactly are the differences between IM and HH, and I now have more of an insight in to the two;

Intermodal
Shipping containers basically. The appaealing thing about IM is that (as has been said before) the shifts are very structured. Certainly at the depot I applied for they work to a 13-week roster. There’s some lodging but not a lot

Heavy Haul
Less structure and the roster comes out in a Friday afternoon. You basically don’t know what you’re doing until you see the roster. Because of the extra flexibility required, HH drivers apparently get more in terms of salary. Not sure on specifics regarding salary but as I said, I didn’t want to start asking stuff that I should really be asking at interview.

I also said I don’t recall having an option between HH and IM on the initial application so wasn’t sure what the score was in that respect, and was told if successful I’d be offered either and basically wouldn’t have a say in which.

On the whole the managers seem like a really genuine bunch and were very welcoming to me, which was great considering I basically just turned up on the off chance. I don’t think I made a tit of myself either which is of course, a bonus.

So today I decided, as part of my research in Freightliner, to visit the depot I applied to. It’s easy enough because a) I work for a TOC anyway and B) Their Office is at a Railway Station. My intention was to just talk to a few drivers to get an insight in to the role, find out about routes and what they their views are on Freightliner etc. The only driver I spoke to had been driving trains for 30 years and to be honest just didn’t seem to care much, however he did point me in the direction of the Driver Managers’ Office next door.

I wasn’t expecting to actually be able to speak to a manager so that was a bonus and they both gave me some great info about routes, shifts and likely things to focus on at the interviews. I didn’t want to ask too many specifics because as I said, I went there with the view of doing some research in order to prep for the interviews.

One thing I did ask was what exactly are the differences between IM and HH, and I now have more of an insight in to the two;

Intermodal
Shipping containers basically. The appaealing thing about IM is that (as has been said before) the shifts are very structured. Certainly at the depot I applied for they work to a 13-week roster. There’s some lodging but not a lot

Heavy Haul
Less structure and the roster comes out in a Friday afternoon. You basically don’t know what you’re doing until you see the roster. Because of the extra flexibility required, HH drivers apparently get more in terms of salary. Not sure on specifics regarding salary but as I said, I didn’t want to start asking stuff that I should really be asking at interview.

I also said I don’t recall having an option between HH and IM on the initial application so wasn’t sure what the score was in that respect, and was told if successful I’d be offered either and basically wouldn’t have a say in which.
Which Depot did you apply for?

Eastleigh.
I was interviewed by the IM manager for Eastleigh (I’ve applied for Crewe,) really nice guy. Great insight and as he said IM is the best option if you value family time etc.
Wish I had asked him about IM routes for Crewe, although I have opted for IM. Money may be less but it’s still fantastic compared to what I earn and to do the job I have always wanted.

Stigy

Established Member
I was interviewed by the IM manager for Eastleigh (I’ve applied for Crewe,) really nice guy. Great insight and as he said IM is the best option if you value family time etc.
Wish I had asked him about IM routes for Crewe, although I have opted for IM. Money may be less but it’s still fantastic compared to what I earn and to do the job I have always wanted.
Yeah I agree, they both seemed really nice and I was greatful for their time. If I get that far (really hope I do!), I’d prefer IM definitely solely for the structure of the roster I think as I have a young family. Obviously I’d take HH if it was the only job on offer, but given the choice I’d go IM. I’m not too bothered about the salary if I’m being honest, as that’s just a bonus.

R Trevithick

IM routes at Crewe include

Wembley
Peterborough
Trafford Park
Carlisle
Garston
Ditton

Probably others I don’t know about as well

Status
Not open for further replies.