• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nishhh

So today I decided, as part of my research in Freightliner, to visit the depot I applied to. It’s easy enough because a) I work for a TOC anyway and B) Their Office is at a Railway Station. My intention was to just talk to a few drivers to get an insight in to the role, find out about routes and what they their views are on Freightliner etc. The only driver I spoke to had been driving trains for 30 years and to be honest just didn’t seem to care much, however he did point me in the direction of the Driver Managers’ Office next door.

I wasn’t expecting to actually be able to speak to a manager so that was a bonus and they both gave me some great info about routes, shifts and likely things to focus on at the interviews. I didn’t want to ask too many specifics because as I said, I went there with the view of doing some research in order to prep for the interviews.

One thing I did ask was what exactly are the differences between IM and HH, and I now have more of an insight in to the two;

Intermodal
Shipping containers basically. The appaealing thing about IM is that (as has been said before) the shifts are very structured. Certainly at the depot I applied for they work to a 13-week roster. There’s some lodging but not a lot

Heavy Haul
Less structure and the roster comes out in a Friday afternoon. You basically don’t know what you’re doing until you see the roster. Because of the extra flexibility required, HH drivers apparently get more in terms of salary. Not sure on specifics regarding salary but as I said, I didn’t want to start asking stuff that I should really be asking at interview.

I also said I don’t recall having an option between HH and IM on the initial application so wasn’t sure what the score was in that respect, and was told if successful I’d be offered either and basically wouldn’t have a say in which.

On the whole the managers seem like a really genuine bunch and were very welcoming to me, which was great considering I basically just turned up on the off chance. I don’t think I made a tit of myself either which is of course, a bonus.

What were the things they mentioned for you to focus on at interviews please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete C

So today I decided, as part of my research in Freightliner, to visit the depot I applied to. It’s easy enough because a) I work for a TOC anyway and B) Their Office is at a Railway Station. My intention was to just talk to a few drivers to get an insight in to the role, find out about routes and what they their views are on Freightliner etc. The only driver I spoke to had been driving trains for 30 years and to be honest just didn’t seem to care much, however he did point me in the direction of the Driver Managers’ Office next door.

I wasn’t expecting to actually be able to speak to a manager so that was a bonus and they both gave me some great info about routes, shifts and likely things to focus on at the interviews. I didn’t want to ask too many specifics because as I said, I went there with the view of doing some research in order to prep for the interviews.

One thing I did ask was what exactly are the differences between IM and HH, and I now have more of an insight in to the two;

Intermodal
Shipping containers basically. The appaealing thing about IM is that (as has been said before) the shifts are very structured. Certainly at the depot I applied for they work to a 13-week roster. There’s some lodging but not a lot

Heavy Haul
Less structure and the roster comes out in a Friday afternoon. You basically don’t know what you’re doing until you see the roster. Because of the extra flexibility required, HH drivers apparently get more in terms of salary. Not sure on specifics regarding salary but as I said, I didn’t want to start asking stuff that I should really be asking at interview.

I also said I don’t recall having an option between HH and IM on the initial application so wasn’t sure what the score was in that respect, and was told if successful I’d be offered either and basically wouldn’t have a say in which.

On the whole the managers seem like a really genuine bunch and were very welcoming to me, which was great considering I basically just turned up on the off chance. I don’t think I made a tit of myself either which is of course, a bonus.
Thanks Stigy, some nice info there! Shame the office for the depot I applied for (Tilbury) is not anywhere near as easily accessible. So you just wandered in, there wasn't any security or anything?

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks Stigy, some nice info there! Shame the office for the depot I applied for (Tilbury) is not anywhere near as easily accessible. So you just wandered in, there wasn't any security or anything?
They had an office with ‘Freightliner’ on the door so I knocked and was invited in. It’s just a typical railway station building so no security or anything. It’s not a massive office complex with receptionists and the like.

Not sure if it’s the same with everybody, but researching Freightliner just seems overly complicated with nota great deal of info on their website...so I just decided to take the bull by the horns :)

Stigy

Established Member
What were the things they mentioned for you to focus on at interviews please?
They didn’t go in to it much, but the mentioned safety is something to obviously focus on, as are policies and procedures.

Nishhh

I was thinking the same thing! Wouldn’t mind popping in and asking a few questions myself.

Great job Stigy you have really helped a lot of us out

Nishhh

They had an office with ‘Freightliner’ on the door so I knocked and was invited in. It’s just a typical railway station building so no security or anything. It’s not a massive office complex with receptionists and the like.

Not sure if it’s the same with everybody, but researching Freightliner just seems overly complicated with nota great deal of info on their website...so I just decided to take the bull by the horns :)

Oh yeah totally agree! Can’t really find the specific information you’re looking for on their website...

Can you remember what questions they asked in regards to the company itself at the DMI?

dawny291

Oh yeah totally agree! Can’t really find the specific information you’re looking for on their website...

Can you remember what questions they asked in regards to the company itself at the DMI?

Having done (and passed) the DMI, the opening question from the script was "What can you tell me about the Company?" That's a typical 'open' question giving you the chance to display how much research you've done about the Company. I did all my fact-finding on the FL website and there is more than enough information on there to help you answer this question.

jaybarts

Completely agree with the above post, there is plenty of information on their website that you can talk about, even has a nice timeline to use... Don’t over complicate things.

Stigy

Established Member

The usual interview questions will be asked, as has been said. Sometimes interviewees are asked “what research have you done?” although as others have indicated, the question is broad in that they ask what you know about Freightliner. If asked the former, I just find it’s the norm to say “I researched you on your website”. It helped me to visit them because sometimes I get a better feel for it. Obviously it’s easier said than done in most depot locations but I had the opportunity to do it so did.

I think we need to expect to be asked why you want to be a train driver, and in particular, why Freightliner?

I’ve looked at the website and agree once you navigate it there’s info there. The general consensus seems to be “don’t over complicate it” which I think is good advice. It’s best to be clear and concise with any interview too, and try not to waffle. Nerves get to everybody I think, it’s just how individuals channel them.

4F89

For the "why Freightliner" question I was quite honest, with "Crewe is the only commutable depot and you are the only ones hiring, and I've heard you are a good employer" made them laugh at least. And it worked.

With "what do you know about us" I said, "not a lot, but you move containers and bulk wagons around the country, formed properly on privatisation, bought by g+w, also have trucks etc across the globe."

Obviously this vagueness from me worked. Not great answers, but evidently did the job.

Stigy

Established Member
For the "why Freightliner" question I was quite honest, with "Crewe is the only commutable depot and you are the only ones hiring, and I've heard you are a good employer" made them laugh at least. And it worked.

With "what do you know about us" I said, "not a lot, but you move containers and bulk wagons around the country, formed properly on privatisation, bought by g+w, also have trucks etc across the globe."

Obviously this vagueness from me worked. Not great answers, but evidently did the job.
Thanks for the insight, that’s really helpful. I think honesty is best too, as they’ll recognise if you try and blag it at all. I guess they’re not after war and peace but just want to see you’re genuinely interested and want it for more than just the salary. I suppose you have to be likeable too? :)

Mike121

Did they say how many jobs are going at Crewe?

And is there parking available at the depot at Crewe for us?

Stigy

Established Member
I must say I’m finding preparing for the MMI a little tricky. I’m trying not to overthink the possible or likely questions we will be asked, but finding a well structured example to a question like “Give an example of a task you’ve undertaken which is similar to that of a train driver’s” would put a spanner in the works :D:s

I think it’s best to go in prepared for the unexpected.

Pete C

People who've done stage 2, what kinda time did it finish? Does it go all day like they say in the email?

4F89

Pete, Finished at 2 here.

Stig, if you prepare too much, they will just change the question and see how you react to that. It's meant to be stressful and high pressure. You will be fine, just breathe and avoid waffle

GLENMAYE77

Are they still doing the round robin of activities or does everyone do each bit at the same time?

Still around 5 candidates a day?

4F89

Should have been 6 on mine, but one no show. 1 in each thing at a time, split up after initial welcome

Gingell

Finally got a response from the OPC on Tuesday confirming that I have completed all the assessments and that it’s straight to the Freightliner interview rather than sitting the stage 2 on 26th November.

Bad news is that Freightliner have just emailed me to say that my interview slot is now 17th January 2019...still a considerable wait for me by the looks of it

Alfielee

Finally got a response from the OPC on Tuesday confirming that I have completed all the assessments and that it’s straight to the Freightliner interview rather than sitting the stage 2 on 26th November.

Bad news is that Freightliner have just emailed me to say that my interview slot is now 17th January 2019...still a considerable wait for me by the looks of it
Ive just been given the same date also, which depot did u put in for?

Gingell

Just got to keep my fingers crossed that with 3 months prep I don’t stuff the interview

4F89

Think they got stuck in traffic on M6. Saying that, I still had 40 mins to travel and gave myself 2 hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.