• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freshers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swift-Deere

I think I can beat that ;) on my second day we went to a place called blackwell court, right next to the likey Incline, I saw 60040 :D and many many voyagers and turdostars, you could hear them from miles away!

We get loads of pendolinos, voyagers and tps expresses...there should be more stuff but ive not seen it yet, when i get time am going to go for a better look

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is there a point in Freshers' Week at College? Most people will be under 18, still living at home and know many people already from school.

As for "High Schools;" in the area I went to school, boys who passed the 11+ went to a Grammar School, girls who passed went to a High School and everyone else went to a Secondary School.

me123

Established Member
Sounds all too familiar... the fact a semester is split over Xmas is stupid - 10 weeks this side of the vacation, two the other side, then exams! The Easter one is normally smack bang in the middle of the semester, which isn't so bad.

Our terms are defined by the vacations. Semester 1 is split over Terms 1 and 2, Semester 2 over the rest of 2, and 3. Apparently both semesters and terms are needed for administration purposes rather than dropping the terms (which bear no relevance to the course).

Then again, that affects all 25000 students here rather than just me.

To be fair, only the medicine faculty is affected for us, and for First Years, it only means that the year is rearranged slightly so it's not a major issue for them. Everyone else is fine, but Year 2 and 3 medics seem to be quite badly hit by this. For everyone else, it actually makes the terms more balanced (apparently).

Whilst I hate Americanisations, that one has been used in Britain for years - most secondaries in Scotland are "high schools".

That's correct. A high school in Scotland is perfectly correct; in fact, it's a Scottish phrase. It is in use in England, but not as much as it is elsewhere.

Drsatan

Established Member
Ok, rumour control (sorry to use a phrase from Alien 3, one of the worst films of all time:D), here are the facts.

Freshers week is basically a week where you make friends & get used to university life. And of course get very drunk. I think I've drunk more last week than throughout my whole life. You may need to attend a few introductory lectures about your subject though. After freshers week, your degree begins in earnest.

The halls of residence where I'm staying is very close to Exeter Riverside yard. Unfortunately, the window in my room faces the wrong way, so I can hear the trains, but not see them.:cry: However, I've made friends with someone on the same floor as me whose room overlooks the railway.

mbonwick

Established Member
Freshers week has just Finished for me

Am At Lancaster University (is anyone else?) doing Sociology

whats more the campus is right next to the wcml:D

but lectures start tomorrow

OOO, you're in my part of the world. I'm at school at LRGS...great view of the railway bridge.

Might see you round sometime ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.