• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Funicular and other inclined cable railways in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
I had an idea to start a thread on these, variously described as cliff lift, railway or tramway, and mostly in coastal towns, and this seems the most appropriate section of the Forum.

How many have you visited/ridden on? While most offer a ride down to a beach or pier, some provide a genuine transport service by joining two parts of the town on different levels. Examples would be Bridgnorth and Lynton & Lynmouth.

Different in character are the Great Orme Tramway, the only funicular in the UK to run on public roads, the Shipley Glen Tramway and the Cairngorm Mountain Railway, which takes a much longer and less steeply-graded route. Then there is the Ebbw Vale cableway, not a funicular as there just a single car and more like a lift, while the Southend Cliff Railway is a funicular but with only one car.

I’ve identified 17 of these in service today (or closed for the winter season) but others have come and gone. Water power was used in some of these and this is still the “motive power” at Saltburn and Lynton, while others have been converted to run on electricity. Track gauge and gradient vary while there are several forms of ownership. Interestingly, the regulatory body responsible for the oversight of funicular railways in the UK is HM Inspector of Mines (HMIM)!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
The three cliff lifts in Bournemouth: West Cliff, East Cliff* and Fisherman’s Walk.

* AFAIK this has not been operational since a landslip badly damaged it in 2016.

busestrains

On Moderation
Hastings has two of them called the East Cliff Lift and West Cliff Lift and both of them seem to currently be in operation. They are similar but the major difference is that the East Cliff Lift is entirely overground where as the West Cliff Lift is mostly in a tunnel. They are both worth a ride on if you are in the area.

zero

I have ridden on Cairngorm, Lynton and Aberysthwyth, and I have visited but did not want to pay to ride on Saltburn, Scarborough Central, Great Orme.

Ken H

On Moderation
I have done;:
Folkestone (there were 2 side by side back then. I used both. Only the western most one now exists.) Water driven. I think the water was pumped back up for re-use.

Bridgnorth. Electric I think.

Lynton/Lynmouth. Electric

Centre for Alternative Technology, mid Wales. Water driven. Dont know if the water was re-used or there was a good supply at the top..

Vespa

Established Member
I have ridden on Cairngorm, Lynton and Aberysthwyth, and I have visited but did not want to pay to ride on Saltburn, Scarborough Central, Great Orme.
Shame you missed out on Great Orme it's a great ride to the top and taking part in an unique historical system.

To add to the list
Babbacombe cliff railway Devon, very unique in fact I would on asap if you can, the cliffs round the area is unstable, a landslip already happen on the other side of the bay where the railway station is.

zero

Shame you missed out on Great Orme it's a great ride to the top and taking part in an unique historical system.

I drove as close as you can get behind / beside the tram! And had a nosey around the carriages at the top

stuu

Established Member
Lynton/Lynmouth. Electric
Lynton is definitely water not electric, there is a reservoir at the top

For the OP, if you are going to include Ebbw Vale, what about similar inclined lifts on Crossrail and LU? There's also one at the St Paul's end of the Millennium Bridge. And not do doubt others here and there

Ken H

On Moderation
Just remembered the Coire Cas funicular built to serve the Cairngorm ski resort. Been out of use since 2019 due to engineering problems. And the concession went bust. Expected to open next year. Electric.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Cliff railways and funiculars were included in the thread about which tramways people had ridden. It amuses me that Shipley Glen was classified in that thread as a cliff railway. I'd agree that the mode of operation was similar (being a balanced cable-hauled funicular tramway) but to describe the location as a "cliff" is quite the stretch. There are cliffs in the area surrounding the top station, but the tramway doesn't traverse them.

Taunton

Established Member
I have done;:
Folkestone (there were 2 side by side back then. I used both. Only the western most one now exists.) Water driven. I think the water was pumped back up for re-use.
I've been to Folkestone seafront a couple of times in the last few years, and the two cars were stopped at the halfway point and the rails rusted. Is it still working?

Ken H

On Moderation
I've been to Folkestone seafront a couple of times in the last few years, and the two cars were stopped at the halfway point and the rails rusted. Is it still working?
Think its undergoing some sort of upgrade. As far as I can tell it needs brakes fitting to the cars that will come on if the cable breaks. I assume something like the Otis kit in vertical lifts.

Ken H

On Moderation
This is how I remember the Leas lift when I was a kid with 4 cars The cars on the left were only used at busy periods. They had a stepped floor. No idea when that was abandoned. the whole thing is grade 2* listed
1665931671953.png

Haywain

Veteran Member
The Branch Line Society issue an annual booklet called ‘Minor Railways’ which lists all such railways. The 2021 edition listed 14 cliff railways and a further 4 cable hauled tramways across Great Britain.

dazzler

The Branch Line Society issue an annual booklet called ‘Minor Railways’ which lists all such railways. The 2021 edition listed 14 cliff railways and a further 4 cable hauled tramways across Great Britain.

As does the 2022 edition. (Unsurprisingly!)

Haywain

Veteran Member
For the OP, if you are going to include Ebbw Vale, what about similar inclined lifts on Crossrail and LU? There's also one at the St Paul's end of the Millennium Bridge.
I’m pretty sure the one by the Millenium Bridge has now gone.

Ken H

On Moderation
The term funicular derives from the Latin word funiculus, the diminutive of funis, meaning 'rope'. (From wiki)

Rescars

Oakwood Press published a book about the Cliff Railways of the British Isles several years ago. Others will know if it is still available.

Shimbleshanks

This site by Mark Hows is well worth a look - not just funiculars but other unusual railways too. It may be a bit out of date now but it's very comprehensive:

I was particularly intrigued in the Private Funiculars section by the cog railway (strictly speaking not a funicular) that brings beer supplies to the Jolly Sailor at Bursledon on the South Coast, the funicular serving Boots the Chemist in Torquay and someone that appears to have one in his own garden somewhere in the West Midlands.

DPQ

Do the new inclined lifts on the Elizabeth line (and also at Greenford) count?

Ken H

On Moderation
Do the new inclined lifts on the Elizabeth line (and also at Greenford) count?
How do they work? If they are not 2 cars connected by a rope so one goes up while one goes down they are not funicular IMHO

Funiculars were very common in an industrial setting back in the day. Some of the massive slate quarries in N Wales had them. Dont think they used power or water. Just the heavier loaded car dragging the lighter unloaded car up. Here is a restored one at Dinorwig slate museum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DinorwicQuarryIncline.jpg

Rescars

How do they work? If they are not 2 cars connected by a rope so one goes up while one goes down they are not funicular IMHO

Funiculars were very common in an industrial setting back in the day. Some of the massive slate quarries in N Wales had them. Dont think they used power or water. Just the heavier loaded car dragging the lighter unloaded car up. Here is a restored one at Dinorwig slate museum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DinorwicQuarryIncline.jpg
In an industrial setting, can anyone explain the difference between a funicular and an inclined plane?

Haywain

Veteran Member
If they are not 2 cars connected by a rope so one goes up while one goes down they are not funicular IMHO
There is no requirement for a funicular to have two cars although it is the most common practice. Southend, for example is a single car with a large counterbalance weight under the tracks.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think a huge proportion of lifts, whether angled or vertical, use ropes and a balance weight, but are never usually considered in discussions about funicular railways. My view would be to ignore any devices that are normally described and considered as lifts, such as on the Elizabeth line.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My view would be to ignore any devices that are normally described and considered as lifts, such as on the Elizabeth line.
I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere that they are lifts, using normal lift technology rather than funiculars.

stuu

Established Member
In an industrial setting, can anyone explain the difference between a funicular and an inclined plane?
Inclined planes were/are funiculars which carry something else, either boats or in an industrial setting, goods wagons on a flat section on top of the funicular car like this

Rescars

Inclined planes were/are funiculars which carry something else, either boats or in an industrial setting, goods wagons on a flat section on top of the funicular car like this
IIRC when first opened, the Lynton-Lynmouth cars were constructed so that the carriage section could be removed and a freight wagon run onto the triangular underframe in its place.

paul1609

Established Member
Think its undergoing some sort of upgrade. As far as I can tell it needs brakes fitting to the cars that will come on if the cable breaks. I assume something like the Otis kit in vertical lifts.
The Leas lift has been closed since 2017. Its regarded as at risk by English Heritage. The CIC was awarded a lottery grant in 2021 for developing plans but its future relies on funding from the seafront redevelopments.

Status
Not open for further replies.