• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Further Class 180 Failure Issue on ECML

GordonT

1A87 the 1559 ex Bradford Interchange-Kings Cross coasted to a stand at St Neots this evening at 1811, where passengers were detrained at some point, with fire service attending due to smoke coming from 180114.

Is this likely to be "just one of these things"?

Or is there a possibility of too much being expected of limited and aging traction?

All lines were blocked for roughly 1 hour with consequential multiple delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
180's have always liked a good fire, same as the whole 175's.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Occupational hazard with a cl.180. There a few possible causes for smoke or fires on these units, most having nothing to do with the standard of maintenance by the TOC.

GordonT

Occupational hazard with a cl.180. There a few possible causes for smoke or fires on these units, most having nothing to do with the standard of maintenance by the TOC.
Doesn't exactly convey reassurance or inspire confidence regardless of where the fault lies. In a world where H & S is king it seems a tad surprising that we are continuing to see repeated instances.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1A87 the 1559 ex Bradford Interchange-Kings Cross coasted to a stand at St Neots this evening at 1811 where pax were evacuated and fire service attended due to smoke coming from 180114. Is this likely to be "just one of these things"?
It is where 180s are concerned; they are well known for having this problem
Or is there a whiff of a Rag, Tag and Bobtail outfit whacking its limited and aging traction at full speed up and down the ECML with potentially spectacular consequences? All lines were blocked for roughly 1 hour with consequential multiple delays.
If you are insinuating that GC aren't conducting proper maintenance, there is no evidence of that.

Have you seen these threads?

Meole

They are owned by Angel Trains a largely Australian owned ROSCO.

GordonT

If you are insinuating that GC aren't conducting proper maintenance, there is no evidence of that.
Fine, but should the fact that the problems recur in spite of proper maintenance taking place not be a concern?
I hadn't but they appear to greatly substantiate the concerns to which my initial question alluded.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Fine, but the fact that the problem extends beyond proper maintenance isn't great.

I hadn't but they appear to greatly substantiate the safety concerns to which my question alluded.
I don't believe have any in house mtce capability so they must be outsourced to an existing operator of depots. Do we know who?

Established Member
No passengers were evacuated and all passengers remained in the train.

HullRailMan

Fine, but the fact that the problem extends beyond proper maintenance isn't great.

I hadn't but they appear to greatly substantiate the safety concerns to which my question alluded.
The general gist of your comments in this thread is you suggesting that Grand Central are knowingly sending out unsafe rolling stock in passenger service. That’s quite an allegation to make.

fgwrich

Established Member

Have you seen these threads?
On that point though, their reliability has declined again since leaving the Western. Unfortunately, the only depot to ever really get to grips with these troublesome units, the legendary Old Oak Common, is now of course long gone and the technical know-how lost with it.

GordonT

The train that is currently in the siding at St Neots at 2225.

The general gist of your comments in this thread is you suggesting that Grand Central are knowingly sending out unsafe rolling stock in passenger service. That’s quite an allegation to make.
Nope I have made no allegations. I am merely seeking informed opinion as to whether these instances are acceptable or unacceptable in terms of any risk. Hopefully the one thing that is not disputed is that the effect on multiple other services when they occur can be quite disruptive.

Last edited:
Whilst there are no allegations of unsafe practices or lack of maintenance by GC, it does seem that when it comes to train failures on the ECML it is predominantly GC and their 180 units.
Knowing the reliability issues with these units and the lack of successful rectification work/or ordering replacement new stock does cast GC in a bad light as by now you would have expected that they would have taken significant action.

harz99

@55018ballymoss ordering new rolling stock is probably not an option unless a longer term track access agreement can be reached.

And presumably when the train was declared a failure the passengers were subsequently detrained and transferred to?

Gaspode

They are owned by Angel Trains a largely Australian owned ROSCO.
Angel Trains is a company incorporated and registered in the United Kingdom. Who their parent is has no relevance to the issues discussed here.

MCR247

Established Member
Whilst the 180s certainly have earned a reputation for fires, I imagine regulators would mainly be concerned if there was a sudden increase in how often they occurred, and also the risk of injury when they occur.

Of course, I’m not an expert, but it doesn’t seem like they happen too often, and I can’t recall them being too serious (such as flames entering the saloon, for example).

So I wouldn’t have thought 180s would at the moment be considered an unacceptable risk.

Magdalia

Established Member
Who their parent is has no relevance to the issues discussed here.
Actually it is very relevant. The parent company dictates the corporate strategy, in particular the attitude towards driving down costs by saving on maintenance, and the amounts extracted from the company via dividend payments to the parent company.

harz99

Actually it is very relevant. The parent company dictates the corporate strategy, in particular the attitude towards driving down costs by saving on maintenance, and the amounts extracted from the company via dividend payments to the parent company.
Unless you can produce some actual evidence relating to GC making savings on maintenance of their 180s, your inferences are just speculation.

On Moderation
Are Angel responsible for maintenance on the 180s though? If they’re on a dry lease then GC are responsible for everything.

Established Member
Whilst the 180s certainly have earned a reputation for fires, I imagine regulators would mainly be concerned if there was a sudden increase in how often they occurred, and also the risk of injury when they occur.

Of course, I’m not an expert, but it doesn’t seem like they happen too often, and I can’t recall them being too serious (such as flames entering the saloon, for example).

So I wouldn’t have thought 180s would at the moment be considered an unacceptable risk.
Which would no doubt lead to the fleet being pulled for urgent checks, as happened with the 175s, as well as the IETs and 332s with cracks in the not too distant past.

There's plenty of precedent that action will be taken should they suddenly be deemed an unacceptable risk.

Magdalia

Established Member
Unless you can produce some actual evidence relating to GC making savings on maintenance of their 180s, your inferences are just speculation.
I am not making any inferences. I'm merely pointing out that the parent company decides the corporate strategy so it is incorrect to say that the identity of the parent has no relevance.

Adrian1980uk

The 180s have earned a reputation for a propensity to catch fire due to historically that being the case, don't know if it's true now though. Electric Cars have a propensity to catch fire if you ask some people but any more than petrol, you don't really see that comparison and no one thinks too much of it if a petrol car catches fire, I wonder if the 180s suffer the same bad press

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Agree. There was a point around a year ago where a number of GC class 180s were temporarily reformed with cars from different units. AIUI the off leased ex AWC class221s were brought in to held catch up with the work needed on the class 180s. As far as I know there are now just two units containing a vehicle from each other's formation, which is evidence enough for me that maintainers have used the 221s as breathing space to get the fleet into shape.

Another indicator for me was the four ex FHT class 180s sat at Ely. AFAIK GCR only actually used one of the four temporarily although two were technically added to the GCR fleet temporarily. Surely if the GCR fleet were in such an allegedly poor condition more use would have been made of the stored vehicles.

I am confident that if there were any real concerns over the 180s then the ORR would have slapped an improvement order on the fleet.

Spartacus

Established Member
There was certainly a time when 180 fires became 'regular', though nowhere as frequent as they became with 175s, but perhaps I've been lucky but I can't remember the last time I was on duty and one had big issues like that, they've actually been doing well lately.

dan4291

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think there's a glitch with rtt understating speeds on vstp schedules
According to a recent post in the general RTT discussion, the underlying VSTP speed data problem has only recently been fixed, so RTT will be having to remove their correction factor. Been there for years, something to do with miles per hour being stored as metres per second, IIRC.