• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Freight / Cargo / Parcels Multiple Unit Conversions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Following on from this thread, it could be interesting to discuss plans for future parcels unit conversions similar to the current 319/769 program.

An "ideal" unit to use for London-bound parcels would be 313s - as they have the means to draw power from DC and AC sources - but the majority of this class has been scrapped. Would it be possible to create a tri-mode PEP (or is this too speculative for the speculative ideas subforum?)

Of course, large numbers of EMUs will be going off-lease soon, such as the 321s, 379s and 455/456/458. Could some of these be repurposed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speed43125

On this forum somewhere it was mentioned that a group were proposing converting 365s for parcels, but I assume that was just a PR move and hasn't made any further progress, as I've heard nothing since.

321s have the Breeze Hydrogen program planned to occur on them. I would suggest you therefore use different stock for any modifications due to a possible shortage of stock if multiple programs gain massive traction, but otherwise I'd agree they'd do the job nicely.

379s are probably too new to be consigned to parcels, you would want something cheaper that doesn't bother with all the creature comforts you are going to be stripping out anyway.

But overall, I'm skeptical as to the demand for parcels by rail in general. The fact the 325s were sitting around for ages seems to back this up. Obviously things have changed since the mid-2000s, but unless that ROG 769 idea gets off to a roaring success I don't see much future in this idea. Indeed, if it succeeded hugely, why bother creating a different class of train?

PeterC

Established Member
Not again! Converting any vehicle with 1/3 2/3 doors to carry parcels in roll cages would be simple. What is expensive is restoring the track side handling facilities where the parcels office is now a Starbucks and the van access is under a new block of flats. After that you just have to persuade the couriers to reorient their entire logistics systems around rail haul instead of road haul between depots that are away from the railway.

Energy

Established Member
Hydrogen 321s could work for freight, they will be able to operate on and off wires and is an already planned solution, something important as a freight company won't want to plan it itself for 5-10 units.

Status
Not open for further replies.