• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Wimbledon depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

4REP

Now the new Depot at Feltham is underway for the class 701 what will now be the future of Wimbledon Depot as all its allocated classes will be withdrawn over the next few years. What will Wimbledon's work involve?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazr

I believe Feltham is more of a stabling point. Wimbledon is the main depot in SW London.

4REP

From what I have read and seen it is a full SWR depot being built purely for the class 701. I am unable to supply an attachment for some reason but if you go to Google then you can find the clip on typing SWR new Depot at Feltham.

JN114

Established Member
There’s only sidings going in at Feltham at the moment - no shed, no wash - I think it’s a bit premature to be speculating about the future of a depot that as far as I’ve read and seen isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

TEW

Established Member
The 701 fleet is to be based at and maintained at Wimbledon, Feltham is additional stabling space.

Snow1964

Established Member
Wimbledon is (in railway terms), not that old.
It was built on site of the Durnsford Road power station which had been built for the initial electrification schemes

Wimbledon Park is older, and not fully used nowadays as most of its sidings are limited in length (the site is roughly triangular), the ones nearest Durnsford Road can only take 4 or 5 cars. These are not going to be of any use when 10car fixed formation is the norm.

I‘m not sure if removing some sidings would help to get more 10-car ones (and there are 3 sidings parallel with the Wimbledon Park Line) Ideally need to take over the site of Industrial building in Durnsford Road, extend all the sidings to 12 car, and raft over whole site. Would be much more useful as undercover stabling / cleaning location (similar to the Central line sidings under Westfield).

I think part of the indecision is a proposal to use part as a crossrail 2 worksite / compound (if that ever happens)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Wimbledon depot isn’t going anywhere.

Feltham is just a stabling point, and only for 10 units at that.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
From what I have read and seen it is a full SWR depot being built purely for the class 701. I am unable to supply an attachment for some reason but if you go to Google then you can find the clip on typing SWR new Depot at Feltham.
It definitely is not a full depot, it’s a fan of 10 x 10 car stabling sidings with CET emptying plant. The access line is from the west end of the site via a wash plant. There's also a staff and traincrew building at the east end.

Eastwestjct

Also worth noting that some of sidings at Strawberry Hill and Staines can only handle 8 cars. Given the entire Windsor line and sub fleet will be 5 or 10 car. You soon realise that a siding that use to hold 8 can only now hold 5. So effectively you need more sidings.

Even with Feltham SWR are still not blessed with siding space.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Wimbledon depot isn’t going anywhere.

Feltham is just a stabling point, and only for 10 units at that.
Exactly - I wonder why the drama over its future? The removal of a particular class of train doesn't render the entire facility useless. Nice to see the old marshalling yard area being re-used for a railway purpose. My late father spent many a happy day in his youth visiting the signal box there and fuelling his interest for his later career as a signalling engineer.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Also worth noting that some of sidings at Strawberry Hill and Staines can only handle 8 cars. Given the entire Windsor line and sub fleet will be 5 or 10 car. You soon realise that a siding that use to hold 8 can only now hold 5. So effectively you need more sidings.

Even with Feltham SWR are still not blessed with siding space.
It's a shame Micheldever is so far from the suburban area - it could be revived as stabling otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.