• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future Southeastern Class 395 order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
How about the Class 373 North of London sets? Shorten them maybe and reinstate the third rail equipment :P

I hope that tongue is firmly in cheek- the power cars and non-passenger accommodation take up about 33m in each half train! you'd have enough platform length for 9 (possibly 10) 18.7m long carriages. Each with a single door.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
Not sure where you would get the MK3's coaches but could you not use those with either a class 73 or class 92?

AM9

Veteran Member
Not sure where you would get the MK3's coaches but could you not use those with either a class 73 or class 92?

You could always use the redundant 442 trailer cars! :)

I claim my £5 for the first mention of 442s in this thread.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Pacers with the engines removed hooked up to Class 91's running at 140mph ! Sorted !

jopsuk

Veteran Member
quite. Not sure where the idea of using mark 3s behind 90mph locos on a high speed line came from, perhaps Robbies can explain?

RobShipway

Established Member
quite. Not sure where the idea of using mark 3s behind 90mph locos on a high speed line came from, perhaps Robbies can explain?

As someone said in a previous posting 'Humour via a forum post is often missed'.

How about the Class 373 North of London sets? Shorten them maybe and reinstate the third rail equipment :P

Aren't they being scrapped?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The extra trains to my mind should be AT300's as that is what the class 395's are in fact with 20M carriages.

The Class 395's are AT300's, as are the Class 800/801's SET's and the new, as yet unclassified FGW order for additional SET's.
20m commuter config vehicles are required, so it'd be more Class 395's, or train lengthening with an order for extra vehicles.

However, I presume that the AT300 would have to be supplied from Japan as the Hitachi factory here would be at capacity building both the Class 800 and the Scottish AT200 trains.

Correct. The order for what is confusingly being called the AT300's (they are all AT300's), or rather just another slightly different version of the SET, will indeed involve trains being built in Japan, due to the required delivery timing clashing with the production runs you mention.
Had the requirement been for delivery around 2020+, they would almost certainly been built at Newton Aycliffe.

Status
Not open for further replies.