• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA Class 90 Mark 3 Sets Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
For a number of reasons including why would I want to ride in a carriage that has double glazing and fixed windows that are designed to ensure that I cannot hear the loco on the front?
Fickle enthusiasts aren’t the bread and butter of preserved lines, much though said enthusiasts think the world revolves around them.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Fickle enthusiasts aren’t the bread and butter of preserved lines, much though said enthusiasts think the world revolves around them.
I think there are higher maintenance / running costs associated with keeping Air Conned carriages. Which I guess would be set against costs for upkeep of Mk1 type vehicles (or older) - eg corrosion repairs to MK1's etc. These factors are probably more or as important as 'fickle' enthusiasts or bread and butter business on preserved lines.

On Moderation
Perhaps those who know all about the issues with Mark 3s would like to go down to Ruddington or Dereham and offer their expertise to those who are actually preserving some?

xotGD

Established Member
Perhaps those who know all about the issues with Mark 3s would like to go down to Ruddington or Dereham and offer their expertise to those who are actually preserving some?
There is a difference between a group preserving Mark 3s for a specific niche purpose and using them as the day to day stock on a heritage line predominantly operated by steam locomotives.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Good idea, although my own comment was based on having read about that issue as a member of the 125 Group (albeit not a working member). Plus informed comment from various other sources.

I have to say that there are important wider issues too - ie as generations change, what is preserved has different meanings for different people. At the extremes, no one alive would be able to recall travel in an early L&M post 1825 carriage, or indeed a late victorian carriage, but you value that in a museum or on heritage line not for your own nostalgia, but to learn and see what it was like. before too long (well...), many fewer people will be able to recall regular travel in a Mark 1, but a Mark 3 will have a nostalgia value to them, then in time it moves on and so on.

For example, I was pleased to see the HST power car on the NRM turntable a few weeks back, but for me that desperately needs to be accompanied by at least one carriage, ideally 3 - a buffet car, 1st and std class car - to convey the sense of the train in the ear it depicts. After all one spends more time IN the carriage than looking at the loco. So I do hope a few more Mk3's will be preserved for passenger use.

Similarly it was nice to see that a Mk3 sleeper had recently been donated for volunteer accom by one of the ROSCOs. I think Many Mk1 sleepers had performed this role, but I believe have been scrapped over the years as repair costs monuted, such that Mk1 sleepers are now a rare vehicle.

I'm thinnking of making a trip down to the GEML next week to have a farewell last day of bashing these trains that i grew up with on the WCML back in the day on an Anglia+.
Is there many 90's+DVT sets left in weekday service amungst the karts or have i left it a bit too late in the day? Planning on next Monday.

PS, i enjoyed that Voodoo Browne rap video! Cracking find, some underrated talent there!! And is that actually Ingatestone or "Diss und dat"?!

Alfie1014

Two diagrams are 321s.

Three diagrams are 745s.

The rest are Mk3s.

Which is on average six, though as with many things timing is everything! Today for example due to a variety of problems, (worst major signalling problems between Manningtree and Ipswich) ex Liv St was 10:30 CAPE, 11:00 CAPE, 11:02 hauled, 11:30 321s, 12:00 hauled, 12:30 hauled, 13:00 321s, 13:30 745, 14:00 745, 14:30 hauled, 15:00 745.

Last edited:

Icky Qualms

PS, i enjoyed that Voodoo Browne rap video! Cracking find, some underrated talent there!! And is that actually Ingatestone or "Diss und dat"?![/QUOTE]

Do you know I think you're right, it does look like Diss

WesternLancer

Established Member
Which is on average six, though as with many things timing is everything! Today for example due to a variety of problems, (worst major signalling problems between Manningtree and Ipswich) ex Liv St was 10:30 CAPE, 11:00 CAPE, 11:02 hauled, 11:30 321s, 12:00 hauled, 12:30 hauled, 13:00 321s, 13:30 745, 14:00 745, 14:30 hauled, 15:00 745.
Rail magazine today says the hauled stock has to end 31 March. Is this likely to be extended or is it a hard deadline?

dk1

Veteran Member
Rail magazine today says the hauled stock has to end 31 March. Is this likely to be extended or is it a hard deadline?
Some Norwich crews are being trained on 321s ready for them to take over diagrams should all 745s not be ready. It seems very unlikely any further LHCS will run from this date now.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Some Norwich crews are being trained on 321s ready for them to take over diagrams should all 745s not be ready. It seems very unlikely any further LHCS will run from this date now.
Thanks - was hoping to do a weekend trip (to use w/e 1st) without engineering work - but opps for that look slim (or zero) before 31 March. Maybe have to do a mid week trip if it can't wait until April.

Thanks for all the replies and info guys, -what i always loved about this forum!

Two diagrams are 321s.

Three diagrams are 745s.

The rest are Mk3s.

Bonjour Peter! Long time, not as active on this forum as I once was couple of years ago gut nice to hear from you again with gen on both sides of the channel, off "English sybic bashing" this time, the 90's always remind me of les BB 26000!!
It really is fast becoming so boring these days in both Britain and France with classic traction dying out now...
Merci!

Thanks for that, just down to luck on the day it would Seek then. I'll just show up at LST mid morning and hope for the best.

PS, i enjoyed that Voodoo Browne rap video! Cracking find, some underrated talent there!! And is that actually Ingatestone or "Diss und dat"?!

Do you know I think you're right, it does look like Diss[/QUOTE]

Yes, i thought so from the bridge! Perhaps someone with "the knowledge" like dk1 could enlighten us?!

I know rap/grime might not be to everyones taste but for me that video is a work of art, two of my fav things!
I do love 90's rap in particular (the years 90-99 were the "Golden Era" with the legends NAP, FF, NWA, Dr Dre, Coolio and the like..), but this is the next best thing with grime and CLASS 90's!
I've been listening to more of their matirial on YouTube, so thanks vor that!

Are you and your colleagues sad to see them go or can't wait to get rid of them?! Surely the Stadler's will usher in DOO in the years ahead??
Btw, do you happen to know if 317's ever make it up to Norwich or any possible plans from next month when the 90's go?
I remember there were couple of evening peak additionals up to Ipswich a few years ago.

Last edited:

BRX

Established Member
A 321 is a bit of a miserable substitute for a mk3 set.

BRX

Established Member
But better than a cancellation? It's only temporary after all.
Not better than running the mk3s for slightly longer. But maybe there are technical reasons that's not possible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not better than running the mk3s for slightly longer. But maybe there are technical reasons that's not possible.
Well there’s a disability rules derogation from DfT that runs out on April 1st...

chubs

Loads compares to an mk3. And its all 1000% better.

Good riddance to junk that should have been scrapped many years ago. No tears shed 31/03.

Hopefully swiftly turned into razor blades.

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the replies and info guys, -what i always loved about this forum!

Are you and your colleagues sad to see them go or can't wait to get rid of them?! Surely the Stadler's will usher in DOO in the years ahead??
Btw, do you happen to know if 317's ever make it up to Norwich or any possible plans from next month when the 90's go?
I remember there were couple of evening peak additionals up to Ipswich a few years ago.

Oh it's such a mixed bag & everyone has a different view. Looks like just the 321s to Norwich. There are still 317s on the GEML but very limited & not operated by Anglia crews akaik.

DOO was wanted by GA but thankfully was not successful with them & RMT guaranteeing a guard on every train that had them until at least the end of the franchise in 2025.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Bonjour Peter! Long time, not as active on this forum as I once was couple of years ago gut nice to hear from you again with gen on both sides of the channel, off "English sybic bashing" this time, the 90's always remind me of les BB 26000!!
It really is fast becoming so boring these days in both Britain and France with classic traction dying out now...
Merci!

In case you haven't seen it on the 745 thread yet, there are now 4 daily 745 diagrams as of today; I am not sure if the new diagram has replaced a Mk3 or a 321 diagram but I would suspect it is a Mk3 diagram that has bitten the dust as those have a tight time limit on them.

dk1

Veteran Member
In case you haven't seen it on the 745 thread yet, there are now 4 daily 745 diagrams as of today; I am not sure if the new diagram has replaced a Mk3 or a 321 diagram but I would suspect it is a Mk3 diagram that has bitten the dust as those have a tight time limit on them.
Yes mate, of course it's a Mk3 as far more important to illuminate & crewed from the Norwich end.

Status
Not open for further replies.