• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gainsborough Central - Platform 2 Signal (towards Retford) Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
A group of us visited Gainsborough Central at the weekend to utilise the new service that runs there. At the moment, movement from platform 2 (ultimately the Brigg bound platform) back towards Retford is controlled by a mechanical shunt disk (referred to as a dolly, I believe)

As I understand it, this is due to be replaced by a "mainline" signal at some point in the future. With the signals in this vicinity all being mechanical, are we likely to see another Banbury, where we have a new semaphore signalled installed, or is it likely to be colour light?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
On the precedent of Banbury I would say it is almost certain, unless someone decides to replace all signals in the area. I don't know the location but presuming there's a main signal alongside controlling moves on the other track, there's an obvious risk of driver confusion if one side is a bright colour-light that "drowns out" the feeble light from the semaphore.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It depends more or less entirely on the whim and preference of the Route Asset Manager (Signalling) and his/her Signal Sighting Engineer. The general rule of thumb is to aim for consistency with the existing infrastructure.

Crossover

Established Member
This is the current layout. The ‘dolly’ is in the background on the opposite running line

Attachments

• 8B2947CE-B1B6-4550-BE90-56E204E917AB.jpeg
    8B2947CE-B1B6-4550-BE90-56E204E917AB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59

Railweigh

There are only a couple of semaphore signals after the shunting disc leaving platform 2 (and only one coming in from Retford), so I would imagine that they’ll re-signal all of those with colour lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.