• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Garw Valley Railway Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, do any South Wales enthusiasts have any detailed info about the Garw Valley group or what they have in terms of loco's, stock, etc.
I look forward to hearing some details soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
all i know is that there is a shunter loco up there, think its a hunslet and 2 wagons , there may be more and u also have the class 108 which i aint sure if it has arrived up at pontycymmer yet, will have to check next time i am up there.

anthony263

Established Member
no its not that hunslet, it is grey colour the last time i saw it.

tthe stock was stored at margam for a while before being moved to pontycymmer

anthony263

Established Member
clos to there u can see the engine shed as u pass over the bridge from Pontycymmer to Braich-Y-Cymmer, its quite close to pontycymmer square.

D107

A yahoo group has been formed to support and promote activities at the GVR. The link is...

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/B-V-R/

As for rolling stock, the 108 is to move there along with some VGR stock. D9521, Salty and a VDA van are currently at the DFR. Pamela is on hire to the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway. Bill Caddick has been sold to the P&BR.

Regards,

Nick.

anthony263

Established Member
Hopefully if all goes to plan part of the line could be opened by the autum.

would be nice if a steam locomtoive could be hired for the opening day/weekend.

D107

One of the locos from Barry is 7705, an RSH 0-4-0ST. It's now owned by a consortium but will move to Pontycymmer for restoration. I don't think it will running this year however!

anthony263

Established Member
The class 108 is due to be moved from Barry to Pontycymmer on monday & tuesday next week. Most members have now received their membership cards and all seems to be going well up at pontycymmer so maybe the target of opening this autum could go ahead, although i wonder if we could get a steam locomotive hired in.

D107

I think it's fair to say that there is still a lot of work to do before the line can reopen to passengers. The 108 move is an integral part of the railway's development and will form the initial traction. As for steam, well let's just wait and see! Early days yet..:)

anthony263

Established Member
The class 108 dmu has now arrived at Pontycymmer.

It did seem to have attracted a lot of attention from the
locals when it arrived.

My thanks to all of those who have worked hard to get everything to where they are now, hopefully we can get this railway up and running and bring some much need investment into the valley.

D107

The class 108 dmu has now arrived at Pontycymmer.

It did seem to have attracted a lot of attention from the
locals when it arrived.

My thanks to all of those who have worked hard to get everything to where they are now, hopefully we can get this railway up and running and bring some much need investment into the valley.

Yes indeed. A lot of hard work went into preparing all that took place over the last few days. To see sun was a treat as most of the work seemed to take place in torrential rain. Anyway, the 108 is settled in and coupled up ready to run.

D107

I thought I would take the opportunity to provide an update as the the Garw Valley Railway and the move of the Vale of Glamorgan Railway to the GVR's Pontycymer base. This is taken from the latest press release...

The "new-generation" Garw Valley Railway in South Wales received a major boost recently when a 2-car Class 108 Diesel Multiple Unit belonging to the Barry Railcar Project moved to the line in readiness for the first trains. The unit comprises DMBS 51919 and DMS 52048. The two vehicles moved to the railway's Pontycymer base on Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th June, causing much interest amongst the residents of the former mining valley. The 4.5 mile line is situated in Bridgend County Borough and runs from Pontycymer at the head of the steeply-graded and picturesque valley, to a point at Brynmenyn close to Tondu station on the Maesteg Branch. The current operating base of the line is located at the site of the former Pontycymer station where the two-road locomotive works houses the rolling stock.

The GVR received a further boost in January 2009 when, following agreement with the GVR board, the Vale of Glamorgan Railway decided to relocate to the line following their eviction from Barry. The Vale of Glamorgan Railway retains its own identity, but works as members of the GVR in their aims to reopen the branch. It is hoped that the line will partially reopen either late in 2009 or early 2010 along a section of the line. Services will run initially with the DMU, but steam and diesel locomotive operations have not been ruled out in the future. To this end, RSH 0-4-0ST 7705, owned by a consortium of VGR members, will move to Pontycymer for restoration and use. The GVR continues to see a steady rise in membership.

The line closed in 1997 when the final freight service left Pontycymer and has remained largely intact since. The lower section of the branch, still owned by Network Rail recently saw a visit from the Cwm and Go(ne) railtour hauled by 60024 and 37401.

The line has recently launched its own Yahoo group which can be found at http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/B-V-R/

The Bridgend Valleys Railway Co (trading as the Garw Valley Railway) held its AGM yesterday and 5 VGR members were voted onto the board of directors. The line fits well into local development plans and is a integral part of the local tourism strategy. So, in summary all very positive and the future looks good!

Cheers,

Nick.

anthony263

Established Member
It is good to see that this is going well, hopefully we will be able to reach tondu within a few years if we manage to get the first section of teh line up and running.

Without trying to put a damper on things, i think the chances off the railway acquiring a track agreement to reach Tondu at this present moment in time is pretty slim however not out of reach.

The Garw loop is still being used not only for stock position movement i.e. Railtours such as the recent Thames Towey but also when the SWML between Swansea and Bridgend for example are in possesion for engineering works. The OVE and the loop needs to be kept to allow for movement to/from Margam incase of any engineering works. However when the time is right and whether or not the railway can reach an agreement with network rail, fitting in pathing routes inbetween services going to/from Maesteg is again another issue to be looked at.

I wish the railway all the best in its development and success in the future, and will look forward to its grand opening:)

D107

I think the Tondu extension is very much "aspirational" but it does indicate the potential for the line.

As for joining, can I suggest joining the Yahoo Group? http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/B-V-R/

As for a membership form, I'm off to a Board Meeting in the next hour or so and will see if we can upload one to the group.

EDITED: If anyone would care for a membership form, please PM your Email address and I'll get one to you.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Welll there is bound to be a lot other ares where you can help about, maybe being a conductor on the train etc

Status
Not open for further replies.