• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Airport platform 7 slight design flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Today it was raining quite heavily when I was at platform 7 at Gatwick Airport.

The edge of the roof slopes in. It might look nice but unfortunately it lets all the rain onto part of the platform and unlike at other stations, there is an area between the dry part of the platform and the train which is wet. You also get wet boarding the service, even though there's a train in front of you.

At most stations with a canopy, the train shields you from the rain. Not so here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member

The edge of the roof slopes in. It might look nice but unfortunately it lets all the rain onto part of the platform and unlike at other stations, there is an area between the dry part of the platform and the train which is wet. You also get wet boarding the service, even though there's a train in front of you.

At most stations with a canopy, the train shields you from the rain. Not so here.

Sounds very much like it was designed by Network Rails rather disappointing architecture partners in Grimshaws, who if the comments of other Grimshaws designed stations seem to go by, aren't very good at understanding the functional aspect of a canopy really - As at Reading where there are gaps in the platform canopy / Transfer Deck canopy for example, or London Bridge, or Cambridge's new platform...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds very much like it was designed by Network Rails rather disappointing architecture partners in Grimshaws,.....
Network Rail are incompetent when it comes to station rebuilds, as we discussed in the Newport (Mon) -is this the worst use of money? thread.

In fact, if there's a station 'improvement' which Network Rail are responsible for, I'd expect to see evidence of incompetence, and would be pleasantly surprised if there was none.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Sounds very much like it was designed by Network Rails rather disappointing architecture partners in Grimshaws, who if the comments of other Grimshaws designed stations seem to go by, aren't very good at understanding the functional aspect of a canopy really - As at Reading where there are gaps in the platform canopy / Transfer Deck canopy for example, or London Bridge, or Cambridge's new platform...

Not been on the new London Bridge platforms when its wet but fairly sure they will suffer in the same way. When I remarked on it here someone got very defensive and blamed it on the planners at Southwark council.

lincolnshire

While disscusing station rebuilds I think it depends on where you are.Looking at Reading station rebuild it looks like it come from Waitrose ( if you was buying a new station off the shelf) as compared with Wakefield Westgate which looks like it came from Lidi and if it is Wakefield Kirkgate that looks like it come from a corner shop on a rough area.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not been on the new London Bridge platforms when its wet but fairly sure they will suffer in the same way. When I remarked on it here someone got very defensive and blamed it on the planners at Southwark council.

Not quite right - I wasn't very defensive, I just explained it!

Anyway I have been on London bridge new platforms in a downpour, and I can tell you standing at the country end I was considerably drier than I would have been on the old platforms!

No doubt designed to get a better view of the planes now that Emirates are flying A380s to LGW.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not quite right - I wasn't very defensive, I just explained it!

Anyway I have been on London bridge new platforms in a downpour, and I can tell you standing at the country end I was considerably drier than I would have been on the old platforms!

No doubt designed to get a better view of the planes now that Emirates are flying A380s to LGW.

I'd prefer to board my train without in future having to resort to wearing full waterproof gear, including waterproof trousers and gaters! Lol.

On the subject of platforms, at quite a few now they have been painting the stairs with some sliver type of paint. After it had recently been installed at Haywards Heath station, I found it to be fairly slippery when wet.

However I put it down to being new. As they surely couldn't have put in something that wasn't safe. Well that was my theory. Perhaps it was wrong.

Network Rail are incompetent when it comes to station rebuilds, as we discussed in the Newport (Mon) -is this the worst use of money? thread.

In fact, if there's a station 'improvement' which Network Rail are responsible for, I'd expect to see evidence of incompetence, and would be pleasantly surprised if there was none.

I think some projects are better than others. Nottingham is quite a transformation.

cle

Established Member
Also the escalator placement makes using the other face as P8 rather tricky, or impossible!
Shame as you can see the eighth line just north of the station is so perfectly aligned and half-ready to lay!

ExRes

Established Member
There were complaints by the bucket load when the dire design for platforms 1 and 2 at St Pancras came to light. Passenger and staff comments alike were treated with total disdain because the architects couldn't possibly have bodged it, obviously the rain didn't really get blown all over the platforms because the glass sides were totally the wrong size .... it was just a nasty lie

jon0844

Veteran Member
The glass roof outside the entrance(s) to King's Cross platforms 0-8 also leaks massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.