• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick Express Santa’s Grotto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt9f

There’s a Gat-Ex 387 in platform 9 at Brighton with sheets/paper over the windows. As there’s an elf and a snowman on the platform I’m guessing it’s Xmas related... Anyone know what’s going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Larry Trapp

There’s a Gat-Ex 387 in platform 9 at Brighton with sheets/paper over the windows. As there’s an elf and a snowman on the platform I’m guessing it’s Xmas related... Anyone know what’s going on?

Can you clarify the platform number please ? There's only 8 platforms at Brighton.

I was having a look in RTT to see if I could see it but I can't seem to get it to list any GX services at the moment.

matt9f

Sorry, it's Platform 8, the wooden one used mainly by east coastway services (replaced by buses today). I doubt it's moving anywhere soon as there's also a 313 and another unit seemingly stabled in the same platform.

It is for company staff to bring their families to, I think they have activities on board and a Santa's Grotto it also visits Victoria.

JB_B

Established Member
I caught a glimpse of this as I was leaving Brighton today and assumed it was for staff children/charity/both - some of those elves looked strangely familiar :)

Last edited:

Larry Trapp

I could only find 2X4C and 5B98 listed on platform 8 (open train times) but couldn't find any more details.

2X4C seems an odd headcode, does anyone know if this related to that train?

Has anybody got RTT to display any details on it?

Sunset route

Established Member
I could only find 2X4C and 5B98 listed on platform 8 (open train times) but couldn't find any more details.

Two times four car (units)..?

Depending who was working on panel 6 when it was interposed, but I’ve certainly used 2X4C when there have been two 4 car units berthed but not attached to each other.

Bishopstone

Established Member
No sign of the snowman this evening, though I guess with the weather remaining more autumnal than wintry, it didn’t last long.

Class315

The 4 carriages where on the rear of 1W18 1830 London Victoria - Brighton, gatwick express last night. The train consisted of 12 carriages, although the last 4 carriages where locked out of use and was covered in christmas decorations.

HowardGWR

Established Member
No sign of the snowman this evening, though I guess with the weather remaining more autumnal than wintry, it didn’t last long.
Indeed, we haven't had St Nicholas yet (Dec 6th) yet alone his northern mate Father Christmas.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation

Two times four car
Sorry - didn't see the other two responses!

big all

On Moderation

"2X4C seems an odd headcode"
two Xmass four Cristmas ??

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was having a look in RTT to see if I could see it but I can't seem to get it to list any GX services at the moment.
I'm not sure what you mean.

If Realtimetrains has a map of Brighton station, I can't see it, but this GTR unit is not in service.

I cannot see a map of Brighton station on Realtimetrains, I can see the headcodes you quote shown as occupying platform 8 on OpenTrainTimes. Note that '2X4C' is not an actual headcode; it's scrambled.

But this is a stationary GTR unit so I am not sure what you expect to see?

tsr

Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean.

If Realtimetrains has a map of Brighton station, I can't see it, but this GTR unit is not in service.

I cannot see a map of Brighton station on Realtimetrains, I can see the headcodes you quote shown as occupying platform 8 on OpenTrainTimes. Note that '2X4C' is not an actual headcode; it's scrambled.

But this is a stationary GTR unit so I am not sure what you expect to see?

2X4C is not a scrambled headcode, it’s a signaller’s note in the train describer.

Scrambled headcodes follow the pattern “123A” (3 numbers and a letter).

Larry Trapp

Hi Yorkie,

Sorry I wasn't clear. No maps on RTT or course but I was using that to try and see when the unit might have arrived, might be departing and to where, obviously sounds like an ECS move so I Would have expected a class 5 headcode.

The OP mentioned a 313 unit on the platform which could have been the class 5.

The 2X, yes I understand it was scrambled but at the time that point missed me lol, but that is usually only done for freight isn't it.

I was looking at the map on open train times not real time train. Sorry for the confusion.

AndrewE

Established Member
I wonder if Santa has any rolling stock in his sack for lines where the coaches or units could be used strengthening overcrowded trains?

MotCO

Established Member
I wonder if Santa has any rolling stock in his sack for lines where the coaches or units could be used strengthening overcrowded trains?
He can pull anything out of the bag :lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.