• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick to Shanklin to Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesr

Hopefully a simple one (and if I knew where to access the routing guide online, I'd find it for myself!).

I'm flying into Gatwick tomorrow and have all day to waste before an evening appointment in London. I fancy going to the Isle of Wight mostly just to play on the old underground trains and the hovercraft.

If I buy a London Terminals to Shanklin day return, is that valid out on the southern route via Gatwick and back to Waterloo?

Is there any day rover which would make it cheaper?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I've checked and it is. Make sure you get the + Hover travel option. No day rovers apart from on the Isle Wight. Do you have a Network Railcard?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hopefully a simple one (and if I knew where to access the routing guide online, I'd find it for myself!).

I'm flying into Gatwick tomorrow and have all day to waste before an evening appointment in London. I fancy going to the Isle of Wight mostly just to play on the old underground trains and the hovercraft.

If I buy a London Terminals to Shanklin day return, is that valid out on the southern route via Gatwick and back to Waterloo?

Is there any day rover which would make it cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, that's a valid route. In fact, there are direct trains from London to Portsmouth via Gatwick (the Isle of Wight is, in rail and Routeing Guide terms, more or less an extension of Portsmouth.

The only rover that might be of any use would be a Southern DaySave ticket. This must be bought in advance of travel (I think it may be up to 3 days in advance) and has time restrictions on its use, but is a flat £20 for a day (no Railcard discounts). You'd obviously be limited to Southern services then, and couldn't go back to London via Guildford on SWR. Also not valid for the ferry/hovercraft to the Isle of Wight, or on the IoW.

For the IoW you can get a day rover if you want, but if you only want to do the one return journey on Island Line then a return ticket from Portsmouth Harbour to Shanklin is the cheapest way of doing that, plus the ferry.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully a simple one (and if I knew where to access the routing guide online, I'd find it for myself!)
The Routeing Guide is not really intended for the average passenger to use it to determine if a route is permitted. The intention is that you would look it up on a booking site, and if that booking site deems the ticket to be valid as per the routeing guide, it will offer a ticket.
Yes, the price of an Off Peak Day Return (CDR) is £61.20

jamesr

Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated. I think I'm just going to have to decide whether I can justify £61.20 for a day out! At least I now know I'll be getting the cheapest option.

Thanks everyone!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated. I think I'm just going to have to decide whether I can justify £61.20 for a day out! At least I now know I'll be getting the cheapest option.

Thanks everyone!

I don't think it is the cheapest option. For example a search for Gatwick to Shanklin on Trainsplit finds a combination of return fares totalling £38.30. You'd have to go back via Gatwick of course. Then to get from Gatwick to London, you could either use PAYG or a paper ticket, depending on where in London your meeting is.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Thanks everyone!
As stated, if you get a Southern DaySave plus a Portsmouth to Shanklin return, that adds up to a total of £41.70.

Status
Not open for further replies.