• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gauge Diagram Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolash2o

I have a tool that allows you to dynamically overlay the profiles of each loading gauge on top of each other, and I am wondering if anyone has any feedback please? i.e. what can be done better? what is missing? etc.

I'm also sharing it as you may find it helpful to see how each loading gauge differs, especially the new 'A' gauges.

https://gbrailwaydata.co.uk/Public/GaugeDiagram

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Dimensions are missing - they are key for this (and available on the RSSB standards), W6 (as opposed to W6A) seems to be missing, although you may have reasons for that.

Also I'd personally have some distinction between the 'A' gauges and their normal ones, even if it's just a dotted outline.

Interesting tool - I'd be surprised if there wasn't already something like it for people who use the profiles regularly (I've certainly seen static overlays often enough).

Last edited:

Legolash2o

I'll add the dimensions in a table and then possibly later add it to the diagram itself.

I'll try and find the W6 points, and also the GB/GC ones too.

I shall separate the new 'A' gauges too.

Thank you for the feedback. I've only been able to find static versions. There was one in the old GERT document but it was too blurry to be of any use.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'll try and find the W6 points, and also the GB/GC ones too.
I wouldn't be overly fussed about GB/GC. They're functionally not relevant to the UK - GC is HS1 only, GB is the tiny bit of HS1 that dives through Ashford. Both are common standards in Europe and don't impose restriction on UK stock.
Thank you for the feedback. I've only been able to find static versions. There was one in the old GERT document but it was too blurry to be of any use.
Not a problem, you can find pretty good resolution diagrams if you just google image search 'UK loading gauge' from what I recall, although the ability to deselect profiles is handy as they don't nest neatly.

Legolash2o

The GB/GC is more for more curiosity. Do you happen to know where there are 'points' defined for W6 please? I can't find it within the GERT8073 documents.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I have a tool that allows you to dynamically overlay the profiles of each loading gauge on top of each other, and I am wondering if anyone has any feedback please? i.e. what can be done better? what is missing? etc.

I'm also sharing it as you may find it helpful to see how each loading gauge differs, especially the new 'A' gauges.

https://gbrailwaydata.co.uk/Public/GaugeDiagram

Thank you in advance.
Thank you very much. You really do provide some great resources on this forum.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I've noticed you've added in some PG clearances - are these what are more normally referred to as 'C1', 'C3' etc?

Legolash2o

Thank you very much. You really do provide some great resources on this forum.

No problem and thank you.
I've noticed you've added in some PG clearances - are these what are more normally referred to as 'C1', 'C3' etc?
I'm not fully sure, they were introduced in v3 when C1, etc was withdrawn of the GERT7083 document.

Looking at v2 of GERT, they do look different. Hopefully someone in the forum can shed some light on the differences between the 'C' and 'PG' gauges.

I'll add the C gauges from v2 of the document to overlay them.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm not fully sure, they were introduced in v3 when C1, etc was withdrawn of the GERT7083 document.

Looking at v2 of GERT, they do look different. Hopefully someone in the forum can shed some light on the differences between the 'C' and 'PG' gauges.

I'll add the C gauges from v2 of the document to overlay them.
In that case it sounds like the PG gauges replace the C gauges, so inclusion would be just for reference if they're substantially different.

The most useful piece of information on all gauges will be the max width and max height needed clear of the rails/centreline. The precise dimension of the shapes is easier to compare by eye.

Legolash2o

The most useful piece of information on all gauges will be the max width and max height needed clear of the rails/centreline. The precise dimension of the shapes is easier to compare by eye.
I'm not sure of the easiest way to show this information. It the moment I'm thinking of showing information such as :
  • W7 ISO 8' 0" (2.44m x 2.5m container)
  • W8 ISO 8' 6" (2.6m x 2.5m container)
  • W9 European swapbody (2.74m x 2.6m)
  • W10 ISO 9' 6" (2.9m x 2.5m container)
  • W12 ISO 9' 6" (2.9m x 2.6m container)

I'm also thinking of displaying the J-tables data as well as a possible alternative.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm not sure of the easiest way to show this information. It the moment I'm thinking of showing information such as :
  • W7 ISO 8' 0" (2.44m x 2.5m container)
  • W8 ISO 8' 6" (2.6m x 2.5m container)
  • W9 European swapbody (2.74m x 2.6m)
  • W10 ISO 9' 6" (2.9m x 2.5m container)
  • W12 ISO 9' 6" (2.9m x 2.6m container)

I'm also thinking of displaying the J-tables data as well as a possible alternative.
Hmm, might be too much info there. Especially as exactly which ISOs can be carried on each gauge is dependent on which wagons you have.

As it currently is it's still a useful tool for casual reference. There's a danger of trying to do too much with it (as always). So it really depends what you envisage the use of this tool to be.

Legolash2o

I've already met my goals by just having a diagram. It allowed me to see:

• W9 is indeed wider than W12.
  • W7A nests within W8A
  • W8A does not nest within W9A but W7A does. W8A is slightly wider than W9A (~9mm).
The rest of it is to see what others would find useful within the industry. I've also been struggling to find GB/GC/GA gauge points, so will have to add that data later.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
The rest of it is to see what others would find useful within the industry.
I suspect anybody in the industry will either need the profile in a data format (and have it already), or will have their own company PDF to slip into reports as and when. Your tool might be useful for some things like specific comparisons between two gauges (e.g. if a project was looking at gauge clearance for W9 vs W9a or W10 vs W12).
I've also been struggling to find GB/GC/GA gauge points.
see: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://uic.org/IMG/pdf/loading_rules-volume_1-01042020.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.