• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gauging Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaMatthews

Sorry if i've posted in the wrong section. I've been given the following as a question as part of my college course but unfortunately have not been given any information about what this actually means:
  • Explain the gauging requirements of the track including the interface with OLE and/or DC conductor in terms of rail geometry.

Is that asking me to explain about overhead lines / pantographs and DC rails / collector shoes. Not really sure what it has to do with gauging.

If anyone has any info on this or could point me in the direction, your help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CW2

Established Member
It's a bit tricky to comment with the limited information given. With that caveat:

Define the track gauge - what is it, why is it important, what different gauges are in common use?
Define the (static) structure gauge - what is it, why can't you impinge the structure gauge?
What happens when a vehicle moves - sway movement on suspension -> discuss dynamic structure gauge.
Why is it important for the 3rd rail to be correctly aligned?
How is the OLE aligned? Consider horizontal stagger, vertical changes (overbridges / tunnels).
Quite a lot to get your teeth into there ...

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
It's a bit tricky to comment with the limited information given. With that caveat:

Define the track gauge - what is it, why is it important, what different gauges are in common use?
Define the (static) structure gauge - what is it, why can't you impinge the structure gauge?
What happens when a vehicle moves - sway movement on suspension -> discuss dynamic structure gauge.
Why is it important for the 3rd rail to be correctly aligned?
How is the OLE aligned? Consider horizontal stagger, vertical changes (overbridges / tunnels).
Quite a lot to get your teeth into there ...

You may also wish to discuss electrical clearances with regards to stagger, contact wire gradient, catenary wire height, and also electrical clearance versus the kinematic envelope of the chosen rolling stock (or all rolling stock). You may find the information online regarding the Steventon Bridge debacle and Paisley Canal electrification project useful concerning gauging for electrification requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.