• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB railfreight driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyb

I used to like lodging at Intermodal, had some great laughs in the clubs up North!!!!, but I dont think i could live out of a suitcase for weeks upon end, though if you don't like your wife, it's a good idea.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

guard1

I used to like lodging at Intermodal, had some great laughs in the clubs up North!!!!, but I dont think i could live out of a suitcase for weeks upon end, though if you don't like your wife, it's a good idea.
How did lodging work at intermodal? Did you get some time off between turns to enjoy yourself?

John B

I have never been involved with the rail industry, but reading this interesting thread it seems that the job can cover a large area. How does the potential driver acquire the relevant route knowledge to cover any given route.

Tophat

Does anyone have any info on what gb rail are like to work for as a driver, particularly up north? Seen the new Leeds hunslet driver advertised for waste and aggregates, network rail work. Do you know what your days off are each week just not the timings? Take it most will be 12hr shifts usually.
If anyone has any info on what the new Leeds hunslet could be like as well? Seen they’re looking for at least 5 new drivers to be based there.

ExRes

Established Member
GB have effectively decided that they don’t want passenger guys on the basis that they require almost as much time and attention as a trainee off the street. So they’re going to go down the road of direct recruitment and freight poaching.

But if you look at the advert they're running for Leeds Hunslet drivers it quite clearly states "freight or passenger competent"

Established Member
I have never been involved with the rail industry, but reading this interesting thread it seems that the job can cover a large area. How does the potential driver acquire the relevant route knowledge to cover any given route.

A lot of the work will likely be sitting on locos in possessions, where movements are made on an “on sight” basis, under the authority of the person in charge. No route knowledge really necessary.

Crazyb

How did lodging work at intermodal? Did you get some time off between turns to enjoy yourself?
Pending the lodge really with the down time. We had quite a few lodges at my depot, but I don't think any Intermodal drivers lodge now.

Normally 2 lodges a week but it was pending the link structure. You may go a week with no lodges. Lodges would start on the Sunday..... Sundays were pass out and work back the next day. Saturdays you would either pass home or work back.

Your week could start, Sun - RD, Mon 14:00 lodge, Tues return lodge, Wednesday local, Thursday 14:00 Lodge, Fri return lodge, Saturday RD.

Pending the lodge, you could get to the hotel about 21:00 and your next workings wouldn't be until 1600. Some lodges got you to your hotels for 10am and you have all day and work back the next morning, some got your there at 2am ish and you work back the next afternoon.

You also had other drivers lodging with you, so you could have a laugh. Made plenty of friends.

We also got payments for lodges, again pending the time in the lodge, you would get 3hrs pay or 5 hours. Everything was paid for, breakfast, lunch, dinner and a pack up lunch if you couldn't get lunch at the hotel.

With some of the downtime, drivers used to head off out during the day, I've been to plenty of places, plus I used to do my Xmas shopping on the lodges and come back with hundreds of bags.

When Freightliner lost the coal traffic, we started to lose the lodges to keep the HH guys in work, by giving them our work, but unfortunately we never got them back.

A shame really, but have great memories and had plenty of laughs.

guard1

Pending the lodge really with the down time. We had quite a few lodges at my depot, but I don't think any Intermodal drivers lodge now.

Normally 2 lodges a week but it was pending the link structure. You may go a week with no lodges. Lodges would start on the Sunday..... Sundays were pass out and work back the next day. Saturdays you would either pass home or work back.

Your week could start, Sun - RD, Mon 14:00 lodge, Tues return lodge, Wednesday local, Thursday 14:00 Lodge, Fri return lodge, Saturday RD.

Pending the lodge, you could get to the hotel about 21:00 and your next workings wouldn't be until 1600. Some lodges got you to your hotels for 10am and you have all day and work back the next morning, some got your there at 2am ish and you work back the next afternoon.

You also had other drivers lodging with you, so you could have a laugh. Made plenty of friends.

We also got payments for lodges, again pending the time in the lodge, you would get 3hrs pay or 5 hours. Everything was paid for, breakfast, lunch, dinner and a pack up lunch if you couldn't get lunch at the hotel.

With some of the downtime, drivers used to head off out during the day, I've been to plenty of places, plus I used to do my Xmas shopping on the lodges and come back with hundreds of bags.

When Freightliner lost the coal traffic, we started to lose the lodges to keep the HH guys in work, by giving them our work, but unfortunately we never got them back.

A shame really, but have great memories and had plenty of laughs.
Thanks for the info

Tug 62

A DB Cargo driver in a similar Mobile Train Driver role will currently earn between £90/£98K for a 32hr week with much better conditions. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.