• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
The consensus appears to be that the 69s will be operating from Tonbridge Yard. Is that just going to be a few of them, or are all 69s going to be based there? And which depot are they allocated to? Many thanks
Do GBRf locos have a nominal depot allocation ?
I would guess that Tonbridge will take care of the more frequent exams with Eastleigh and Roberts Road doing the big stuff, and maybe warranty work at Longport.

Wouldn't think they would split the allocation of the 69s between more than one depot or area, especially due to traction knowledge - much as I am sure a load of GBRf drivers would like to get their hands on them.

A clue might be in what 66/7s do at Tonbridge outside RHTT sesason. Do they have many diagrams which cycle around Tonbridge on an out and back basis ? Must admit that the present order of sixteen locos might seem a little restrictive for just the southern portion of England

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Two at the moment with one more close to livery application
I would argue at least three based on 69003 having run on the main line on it's own, albeit not too far. I am guessing 69004 qand 69005 have got their engines in and maybe already been powered up. ISTR one of the 69s was dragged to Eastleigh to be painted, with an empty cab !! Perhaps fitting out the cabs is one of the final jobs.

D365

Veteran Member
So the [first two] 69s are very much in service now?

malc-c

69001 and 69002 running half an hour late this morning through Stevenage this morning

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Train

Established Member
It appears another path for 69003 to head to Eastleigh yesterday was cancelled - 3rd time lucky maybe?!?

The_Train

Established Member
Whoa, not too soon dude! o_O
I only classed 'em yesterday :lol:
(Assuming just 001 & 002 make up the class).
:lol: well that depends as 69003 is now officially designated on TOPS and so exists although it has not officially entered traffic (just getting it moving seems a problem right now haha). So have you classed the 69's or haven't you? ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
:lol:

On another note, has anyone heard when the next planned move for 69003 is yet?
Just spotted it passing by our house (0.5 miles south of Reddish South) double heading with 60076 working 6E17 Liverpool - Drax Biomass service. Still unpainted and service running approximately 40 mins down at this point according to RTT, by the sound of things the 60 leading was doing all the work!

fgwrich

Established Member
Just spotted it passing by our house (0.5 miles south of Reddish South) double heading with 60076 working 6E17 Liverpool - Drax Biomass service. Still unpainted and service running approximately 40 mins down at this point according to RTT, by the sound of things the 60 leading was doing all the work!
I'm not surprised, looking at it on Flickr it appears to be dead anyway (nothing's plugged into the Multi socket and I don't believe they can Multi anyway?)

Of note with 003, is that it retains it's Romanian Cab windows as well - I would have thought, like the 66s, they'd have standardised those!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm not surprised, looking at it on Flickr it appears to be dead anyway (nothing's plugged into the Multi socket and I don't believe they can Multi anyway?)

Of note with 003, is that it retains it's Romanian Cab windows as well - I would have thought, like the 66s, they'd have standardised those!

Interesting point regarding the windows, hadn’t noticed that as it passed by. What would be the likely purpose of the locos inclusion in this service?

fgwrich

Established Member
Interesting point regarding the windows, hadn’t noticed that as it passed by. What would be the likely purpose of the locos inclusion in this service?
No idea if I'm honest, given it was due to head down to Eastleigh for repainting. Perhaps it's being trip worked later on and attaching it to this was a move to set it up for later?

fgwrich

Established Member
What is the difference, please, for those of us who have no clue? I know the (now removed on class 69) nose end grilles were different on Romanian versions.

On the Romanian built examples, the cab side windows were a two piece set up, with the small non opening window framed by a large rubber gasket - On the British built examples, it used a single window frame for both windows similar to the Class 47s.