• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
If Colas wasn’t struggling for loco availability, maybe they would consider their own 69 conversions ?!
Why do your own conversions if you can let someone else do it and just hire them? Maybe the rumoured increase from 10 locos to 16 locos as part of this project is a response to Colas having a chat with GB.

D365

Veteran Member
Why do your own conversions if you can let someone else do it and just hire them? Maybe the rumoured increase from 10 locos to 16 locos as part of this project is a response to Colas having a chat with GB.
True, but what I meant was whether Colas might arrange for their own 56s to be converted. Very speculative anyhow.

The_Train

Established Member
True, but what I meant was whether Colas might arrange for their own 56s to be converted. Very speculative anyhow.
Ah I see, I suppose it could be a possibility as it seems to be that fleet that they are growing tired of. Maybe they are wanting to loan 1 of the GB ones to see if it would be worthwhile them undertaking the project but I'd not considered them doing it using their own locos. Would certainly make sense considering there's not many other options (93s and 99s no good for Colas work on diesel?) other than bringing in more sheds from Europe (if available)

william.martin

On Moderation
If Colas wasn’t struggling for loco availability, maybe they would consider their own 69 conversions ?!
Got this photo of a colas 56 doing a rhtt at Shrewsbury today, will colas keep the 56's?

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_152903.jpg
    IMG_20221024_152903.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 125

fgwrich

Established Member
56097 has left Ruddington today, destination largely unknown but very much rumoured to have been snapped up for the 69 program. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the case, not many Pres lines around that could take on such a loco.

D365

Veteran Member
56097 has left Ruddington today, destination largely unknown but very much rumoured to have been snapped up for the 69 program. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the case, not many Pres lines around that could take on such a loco.
Wouldn't surprise me either. I've heard 097 doesn't even have TPWS fitted currently.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Is it off to Longport do you know please as that's where the converting is happening?

The_Train

Established Member
Have any more locomotives been converted recently?

Last one I'm aware of is 69006.

Thanks. :)
69007 looked largely complete in the last pic I saw of it whilst 69008 is rumoured to be at an advanced stage of conversion. Don't know if they are waiting for both to be complete to send them off to Eastleigh together but I'm led to believe that another "special" livery is planned for 007 8-)

fgwrich

Established Member
69007 looked largely complete in the last pic I saw of it whilst 69008 is rumoured to be at an advanced stage of conversion. Don't know if they are waiting for both to be complete to send them off to Eastleigh together but I'm led to believe that another "special" livery is planned for 007 8-)

008 was certainly looking fairly complete at the start of last month - It and up to 13 will look slightly different as they are due to be fitted with an additional LPA Socket & 73 / 47 style drophead Dellners.

D365

Veteran Member
16 are being converted for GBRf with no more planned as they are looking at more 66’s from Europe - 12 have been identified for possible use so far.
At the risk of being speculative - unless 097 is added to the programme, or Colas agree a deal for their 56s to be moved on - there aren’t many more available.

008 was certainly looking fairly complete at the start of last month - It and up to 13 will look slightly different as they are due to be fitted with an additional LPA Socket & 73 / 47 style drophead Dellners.
Interesting - does GBRf want to get involved with stock movements?

fgwrich

Established Member
At the risk of being speculative - unless 097 is added to the programme, or Colas agree a deal for their 56s to be moved on - there aren’t many more available.

Interesting - does GBRf want to get involved with stock movements?
They already are, though like their 47s, this will remove the need for the use of Barrier Vehicles. If they are still building them by then, I’d hazard a guess they’ll end up working moves like the 701 drags.

D365

Veteran Member
Ah you’re right - I’m not so familiar with 47s, so that slipped my mind.

69001 was present at the west end of Tonbridge West Yard yesterday. Can anyone tell me what the red items are beneath the wheels? Are the chocks or are they some sort of skate?

Image from which this excerpt was taken is at the link below to give perspective to these items.

Thanks in advance, S.

Attachments

• 69001-Bogie Detail - Copy.jpg
    69001-Bogie Detail - Copy.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 133