• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Future

This sounds like they'll be out of action until a modification can be designed and installed?
I would suspect so but I don’t want to make any unwieldy claims. I’ve heard that by 0100 on Monday all 69s will be off GBRf TOPS and back to EMD but I can’t prove that.

Suraggu

This morning Mountfield gypsum working was allox to a 66. I thought this service was a core part of the 69's workings since they entered traffic.

trainmania100

Established Member
This morning Mountfield gypsum working was allox to a 66. I thought this service was a core part of the 69's workings since they entered traffic.
As per a different thread they've been stepped down, although some say this is from Monday. Probably off it to avoid any potential issues arising

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I would suspect so but I don’t want to make any unwieldy claims. I’ve heard that by 0100 on Monday all 69s will be off GBRf TOPS and back to EMD but I can’t prove that.
If they are not immediately stopped, it suggests there are no safety issues then.
Always thought it optimistic to order sixteen in two batches without any serious in service results from the first couple. The old German / European concept of building four of five of a prototype batch, then refining the design for a series class seemed like a good idea to me.

D365

Veteran Member
If they are not immediately stopped, it suggests there are no safety issues then.
Always thought it optimistic to order sixteen in two batches without any serious in service results from the first couple. The old German / European concept of building four of five of a prototype batch, then refining the design for a series class seemed like a good idea to me.
Most of the 56s were not in a serviceable condition anyway. 104 and 312 might have been runners with a bit of work, but only 081 and 096 have been operated under GBRf ownership.

Future

GBRF have issued this press statement: "GBRf Class 69 Following introduction of the class 69, and learning from the initial service phase of operation as well as build, GBRf and EMD are taking an opportunity of a change in traction requirements following winter operations to carry out a number of reliability, build quality and cab improvements to the class 69 fleet. These improvements include to the cab environment, new drivers seat, build quality and arising work. We are working with our supplier EMD to complete this as quickly as possible as a fleet wide program".

D365

Veteran Member
Good news, all-in-all. Even the Class 56 has a few driver ergonomic issues to this day.

I would suspect that the additional EMDs from Europe buys the GBRf fleet a bit of breathing room.

randyrippley

Established Member
Reportedly, the main reason for the swift withdrawal is that the crack may have split the crankshaft because of the 69’s lack of engine mounts or dampers. Also the remaining 56 conversions are on hold indefinitely so 081 and 098 are saved for now!
that's difficult to visualise
do you mean crankcase?

fgwrich

Established Member
GBRF have issued this press statement: "GBRf Class 69 Following introduction of the class 69, and learning from the initial service phase of operation as well as build, GBRf and EMD are taking an opportunity of a change in traction requirements following winter operations to carry out a number of reliability, build quality and cab improvements to the class 69 fleet. These improvements include to the cab environment, new drivers seat, build quality and arising work. We are working with our supplier EMD to complete this as quickly as possible as a fleet wide program".
I can’t say I’m surprised to see build quality and arising work listed. Some of the quality of the welding and painting (not the main job carried out by Arlington but the chassis stuff carried out during the rebuild) has certainly been somewhat poor. You only have to see the locos on their transit moves to Eastleigh to understand what I’m talking about!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I can’t say I’m surprised to see build quality and arising work listed. Some of the quality of the welding and painting (not the main job carried out by Arlington but the chassis stuff carried out during the rebuild) has certainly been somewhat poor. You only have to see the locos on their transit moves to Eastleigh to understand what I’m talking about!
I have not seen any piccies published online to suggest any chassis stuff is iffy. The paint obviously has only been intended to get the locos from Longport to Arlingtons and there is no doubt the latter company have had to do a lot of prep on the bodyshells to get the paint finish good.
However, us on here have generally not seen inside the cabs so cannot really comment i nthe way John Smith clearly has. What's strange is that Progress Rail's customer (GBRf) has only now taken the stance regarding the ex works condition of the fleet, but as I said earlier - 69001 and 69002 should have been released from Longport for exhaustive trials and testing to define the ultimate class 69 setup - then put the batch through Longport for the finished product spec.

Roger B

Presumably the 69s have been stopped more or less where they were.

Are there any in Tonbrodge Yard - and if so which ones? I'm thinking of taking a trip to Tonbridge in a couple of weeks (half term hols), but that's dependent on what I'll find there.

And I'm wondering where the rectification work will be undertaken ... my guess is Stoke? But could it be done elsewhere - eg Eastleigh?

Many thanks

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Presumably the 69s have been stopped more or less where they were.

Are there any in Tonbrodge Yard - and if so which ones? I'm thinking of taking a trip to Tonbridge in a couple of weeks (half term hols), but that's dependent on what I'll find there.

And I'm wondering where the rectification work will be undertaken ... my guess is Stoke? But could it be done elsewhere - eg Eastleigh?

Many thanks
Longport I suppose

BRX

Established Member
001, 003, 006 and 007 are apparently on their way from Tonbridge to Peterborough this morning.

002 and 004 left in Tonbridge

(according to local gen group)

Roger B

001, 003, 006 and 007 are apparently on their way from Tonbridge to Peterborough this morning.

002 and 004 left in Tonbridge

(according to local gen group)
Based on reports elsewhere, it does appear that the 69s already delivered will have their retrospective work undertaken back at Stoke.
Many thanks guys.

On that showing, I think I'll try to catch-up with them en route to Longport.

D365

Veteran Member
No reason not to get more use out of the 56s while they’re available.

JohnMcL7

There's an article today on Rail Magazine claiming there's no hairline cracks and the main problems are water egress and engine noise:

Razorblades

There's an article today on Rail Magazine claiming there's no hairline cracks and the main problems are water egress and engine noise:

Water egress? I've read the article linked and it certainly says this, but where is the water escaping from, that's an odd one; the power units? Do they actually mean ingress, which would be a driver issue?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Water egress? I've read the article linked and it certainly says this, but where is the water escaping from, that's an odd one; the power units? Do they actually mean ingress, which would be a driver issue?

I suspect the water loss is between the engine and the radiator(s)?

dgl

Established Member
Or maybe they meant ingress but messed it up.
Probably I would think, never heard anyone say "water egress", you'd usually reference something leaking out by using the word leak!

ac6000cw

Established Member
Probably I would think, never heard anyone say "water egress", you'd usually reference something leaking out by using the word leak!
I agree - I suspect it's most likely a typo/autocorrect/autocomplete error and should say 'ingress'.