• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Trainman40083

Kudos to GBRf for eschewing corporate uniformity and blandness and bringing some much needed cheer to enthusiasts, and hopefully to their own staff too. And all for a relatively trivial cost to themselves. Well done !
Indeed, from a business point of view, it gets them noticed, in the news etc, a talking point. Great way to advertise your business.

Finally saw 69009 today, behind 66711 and 66311 en route Doncaster to Longport. Looks ace.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
It already made its first mainline run when it was dragged from Eastleigh, today was the same, as it was dragged to Longport today..

'First mainline run' usually refers to a loco running under its own power and not being dragged as a dead weight either light engine(s) or in a train.

cj_1985

'First mainline run' usually refers to a loco running under its own power and not being dragged as a dead weight either light engine(s) or in a train.
Well aware of that. Hence why I added 'dragged' for both runs

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
[69009] ... was dragged to Longport today..
And it was in the company of another "new kid on the block" - 66311, an ex-European example; it's mentioned in this thread, photo is on post #256:

I look forward to both of their first "under own power" runs.

wickham

TOPS report published elsewhere appears to show 69009 and 69011 at Longport today (10/03) but I thought 69011 had been moved to Peterborough unless it has returned. None, 69012 or above appear to have had any main line testing (or indeed ANY testing) yet.

train_lover

It's 69011

And it was in the company of another "new kid on the block" - 66311, an ex-European example; it's mentioned in this thread, photo is on post #256:

I look forward to both of their first "under own power" runs.
It shouldn't be long until 009 is back out. 66311 is going to be a good while. Probably looking back end of this year.

Last edited:

cj_1985

I'm unsure what you mean? It was outshopped on 3rd March.
Think he means until it's ready to operate trains on the mainline under it's own power. Presumably its still to have UK safety systems fitted etc

wickham

With a good number of these inported 66/3s the painting into GBRf livery has been a very early step - not quite the first (as that would be removal of Eurpoean equipment) but certainly NOT the last ! It will indeed be a while until we see them ALL in service !

train_lover

I'm unsure what you mean? It was outshopped on 3rd March.
I dragged 311 last week. It might be in GBRF livery but there's absolutely nothing British about it. It's got a lot of work to go to bring it into our standard. It's gone to Longport for conversion.

plans have changed and it seems as though 69009 will be returning to Leicester L.I.P tomorrow instead of Friday https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:56875/2024-03-14/detailed
It certainly is going tomorrow :)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita

train_lover

Ah - was that with 711, on this working?
That's the one. There's a substantial amount of work to do before it will run under its own power in the UK

SEtrains

I’m assuming it’s 69009 because it’s just come out of maintenance so it may be on the daily freight train from mountfield sidings to Southampton docks.

Last edited:

Trainman40083

I’m assuming it’s 69009 because it’s just come out of maintenance so it may be on the daily freight train from Eastleigh to hoo and back
Actually I thought the later batch of 69s like 69009 were primarily to be used on unit drags in the East Midlands

E27007

Does anyone have any details of the proposed liveries for the next batch of class 69?
With the latest release of 69009 as a homage to a Western, I am hoping one will be outshopped as a homage to HS4000 Kestrel

Skymonster

Established Member
There’s a chance then 009 could be on one of the STP/VST unit moves that originate from Leicester LIP today then - assuming they run.