• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
We've already had one green one, but a two-tone green like the original Class 47 should suit them since they have the same bodyshell.
MDE-D1924-e1536841409507.jpg

Early BR black with silver trim?
60c25d0eb5f3a2c409ff5dc80c6ece6f.jpg

Desert Sand?
d22e33d5ac65641846a885121cdcfc50.jpg

.........although that's close to the colour many of them will end up anyway.
R.46bdfe53aa3c5130a860c37a2170af07

Was ["Jaffa cake" livery] ever used on a loco in the past?
Not unless you count an MLV (class 419) as a loco - they could haul a tail load, after all

There is also the more recent "Jaffa cake" livery but GBRf are unlikely to use that
d030a2da8014693281300f9e12ba45f9.jpg

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Gloss black and silver (or white) looks really nice if it's kept clean, but otherwise turns into dirty matt grey brown... as illustrated by the brown patches on the side of this otherwise reasonably clean US loco (but the trailing yellow and black 'Virginian Railway' heritage liveried loco looks rather nice):

Railfanning in the Rain - NS locos 720p.jpg

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Gloss black and silver (or white) looks really nice if it's kept clean, but otherwise turns into dirty matt grey brown... as illustrated by the brown patches on the side of this otherwise reasonably clean US loco (but the trailing yellow and black 'heritage' liveried loco looks rather nice):

View attachment 154434
Considering the "connections" of:
1) US powerplant in a UK body,
2) cl. 56 was first introduced in 1976, and
3) the colours of US and UK national flags.
Then it's surely '1976 Bicentennial' red-white-blue on 'em. ;)

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Considering the "connections" of:
1) US powerplant in a UK body,
2) cl. 56 was first introduced in 1976, and
3) the colours of US and UK national flags.
Then it's surely '1976 Bicentennial' red-white-blue on 'em. ;)
:D

(Although based on the grimy state of the GBRf locos I've seen recently, they should spend the money on keeping the locos clean instead of more fancy liveries...)

12LDA28C

Established Member
:D

(Although based on the grimy state of the GBRf locos I've seen recently, they should spend the money on keeping the locos clean instead of more fancy liveries...)

Maybe it's rather more important to keep the locos in service and gainfully employed than keeping them in showroom condition? They're not museum pieces.

Not unless you count an MLV (class 419) as a loco - they could haul a tail load, after all
Class 419 was used as a loco, it carried GUV stock and also a water tank wagon. Could only carry like up to three wagons though.

A BR Jaffa-Cake livery on a Class 69 would be nice, but would have been a first.

Last edited:

ac6000cw

Established Member
Maybe it's rather more important to keep the locos in service and gainfully employed than keeping them in showroom condition? They're not museum pieces.
Agreed, but I was at Peterborough for most of Friday afternoon and the state of some of the 'named' GBRF 66s passing through wasn't good (see 66773 below).

Is this really meant to be the "Pride of GB Railfreight" - I don't see a lot of pride in evidence there, and I don't think it reflects well on the public image of GBRf. If you're going to have named, 'show off' locos as part of your corporate image, you need to keep them reasonably clean otherwise it says 'we don't care'.

1710766209164.png

Last edited:

wickham

GBRf locomotives have been kept very clean in the past, but since the 2023 RHTT season there seems to have been no attempt to clean them - a good number are still running in "RHTT LIvery" - 66743 a Royal Statesman loco is really bad too and I don't think that has been on RHTT. Don't they have anywhere to clean them now, is there a washing machine at Roberts Road ? I suppose they have to pay to use the washing machine at Eastleigh Depot and other such places.

Rail Quest

GBRf locomotives have been kept very clean in the past, but since the 2023 RHTT season there seems to have been no attempt to clean them - a good number are still running in "RHTT LIvery" - 66743 a Royal Statesman loco is really bad too and I don't think that has been on RHTT. Don't they have anywhere to clean them now, is there a washing machine at Roberts Road ? I suppose they have to pay to use the washing machine at Eastleigh Depot and other such places.
I've noticed this as well honestly. I wonder if its got something to do with GBRf being a swiftly expanding business with a fleet that is in action so often, they rarely get a chance to clean them?

Trainman40083

I've noticed this as well honestly. I wonder if its got something to do with GBRf being a swiftly expanding business with a fleet that is in action so often, they rarely get a chance to clean them?
I noticed 66731 earlier in the week. An attempt had been make to clean the front, maybe with a mop

E27007

I used to be an RHTT driver 20 years ago.
The RHTT railhead paste was made of seashells ground to a fine powder mixed with a glue agent.
The paste used to dry on the unit forming crusts several inches thick in places, on the brake rigging we used to knock off the encrusts with a hammer. Otherwise some very agressive industrial jet -washing and steam cleaning required to spruce up the unit for duties, but cleaning was a lost cause long-term

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Branch Line Society's 9th May tour, Eastleigh to Swanage via Waterloo, "The Jurassic Crompton":

BLS's page now advises:
"Update 26/03/2024: We are pleased to confirm that subject to the usual caveats, 69007 will be making its first passenger run on this charter to the excellent Swanage Railway Diesel Gala alongside 33012. 69007 will be working the Eastleigh to Waterloo leg".

SEtrains

69011 is due out of the Eastleigh paint shop on 2nd April in its new livery.
69010 should also enter the paint shop sometime this week.

Trainman40083

I used to be an RHTT driver 20 years ago.
The RHTT railhead paste was made of seashells ground to a fine powder mixed with a glue agent.
The paste used to dry on the unit forming crusts several inches thick in places, on the brake rigging we used to knock off the encrusts with a hammer. Otherwise some very agressive industrial jet -washing and steam cleaning required to spruce up the unit for duties, but cleaning was a lost cause long-term
Lawrence Industries used to make Sandite

Sun Chariot

Established Member
69011 is due out of the Eastleigh paint shop on 2nd April in its new livery
Interestingly, that move was cancelled today (RTT screenshot attached).
And my intended shot of 69009, dragging a 701 to Marchwood thwarted; due it being curtailed at Eastleigh - whilst I awaited it, 3 miles farther down the line....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402_202653_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_202653_Chrome.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 33

SEtrains

Sun Chariot

Established Member

SEtrains

69012 is now complete and will have its mainline test run next week.
69011 is going to be released from the Eastleigh paint shop Tomorrow

Last edited: