• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf working conditions - Qualified Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

I wondered whether someone could advise what GBRf are like to work for? I know what they pay their drivers and the average hours they work per week, but wondered about the pros and cons of working for them, and what they’re like generally as an organisation?

I noticed an advert on LinkedIn which almost sounded as if they were focussing on hiring passenger train drivers? This did seem a bit bizarre and got me wondering if there’s a reason? I mean, naturally it would be easier to recruit drivers with freight experience from an operations perspective I guess? I thought maybe they had difficulty in recruiting? They pay more than most freight operators from what I gather?

Any insight appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anglian96

Hi all,

I wondered whether someone could advise what GBRf are like to work for? I know what they pay their drivers and the average hours they work per week, but wondered about the pros and cons of working for them, and what they’re like generally as an organisation?

I noticed an advert on LinkedIn which almost sounded as if they were focussing on hiring passenger train drivers? This did seem a bit bizarre and got me wondering if there’s a reason? I mean, naturally it would be easier to recruit drivers with freight experience from an operations perspective I guess? I thought maybe they had difficulty in recruiting? They pay more than most freight operators from what I gather?

Any insight appreciated!
Have never worked there but I am a freight driver and whenever I do speak to drivers from there they are not happy at All. Over worked isn't even the word. Constantly getting pressured and asked the extend/cover jobs and They don't even know which banding there on until the Thursday before so planning life around the job is near on impossible. They do pay the most from all the FOCS but it's not by alot and there T&Cs are much worse than the rest.

I haven't seen that job advertised that your talking about but I do know they had a job at ferme Park doing empty coach moves so it could be a similar job to the one your talking about hence passenger experience preferred.

At my FOC I know for a fact none of the drivers at my depot would move to GBRF.

As I say I've never worked there and it's all from what I've heard from drivers who do work there and we do cross paths alot. At relief points/T3s/staff rooms etc but those in PQA are seeing out there period and moving on and those who can move on are trying to move on. It's only the old school type people on there who are staying becuase there near on retirement and can't be bothered with the hassle of changing something there so used to.

My advise would be to stay clear.

Eebbs1912

They are put down as available to work all day days every week unless they withdraw availability as well. There was also a bit in the contract I seem where they are allocated up to 4 weeks annual leave when the company decide.
Like wise, a few of their drivers and groundstaff that have jumped ship to us say it's a horrible place to work and a very unhappy ship.

66701GBRF

It's funny what you read on here sometimes. There is definitely stuff that is not ideal but quite not as bad as people like to make out.
No such thing as banding at GBRF. You have a base roster which will contain rest days, AV days and base jobs. Roster indeed doesn't come out until Thursday night but is not much of an issue unless you are working rest days or you have AV days as you should follow your base roster and be on your base turns.

For anyone wondering 34.5hrs is the base working week. But as its annualised hours its averaged over 16 weeks or so, so your working week could be anything between 16 hours and 48 hours (without RDW). Leave is 5 weeks plus 6 lieu days. The weeks are pre allocated but can be moved to a vacant slot or swapped with someone... link allowances permitting.

One of the worst things to be aware of is the potential of being booked on at 2359 with the following day being a rest day (or annual leave day).

Stigy

Established Member
Interesting insight, thanks all!

They are put down as available to work all day days every week unless they withdraw availability as well. There was also a bit in the contract I seem where they are allocated up to 4 weeks annual leave when the company decide.
Like wise, a few of their drivers and groundstaff that have jumped ship to us say it's a horrible place to work and a very unhappy ship.
Rostered leave is basic for train crew as far as I’m aware. We have it where I work, and my previous TOC also did this.

driver9000

Established Member
One of the worst things to be aware of is the potential of being booked on at 2359 with the following day being a rest day (or annual leave day).

So you could be Tuesday RD or leave but because you're booking on at 23:59 Monday you're actually working on the day you're meant to be off? Unless I'm understanding it wrong that sounds like a right fit up screwing you out of time off.

ExRes

Established Member
So you could be Tuesday RD or leave but because you're booking on at 23:59 Monday you're actually working on the day you're meant to be off? Unless I'm understanding it wrong that sounds like a right fit up screwing you out of time off.

Exactly what EWS used to do, they also used to take great pride in booking you 2359 the day before you were due to start annual leave

12LDA28C

Established Member
There was also a bit in the contract I seem where they are allocated up to 4 weeks annual leave when the company decide.

This is quite commonplace on the railway. I also have 4 weeks of rostered AL but this can be changed to a more suitable week if there is a vacancy, and mutual swaps of leave weeks between drivers are allowed.

66701GBRF

Exactly, it's not that common, but the potential is there.

class 9

It's always bee like that on any TOC/FOc that work night shifts, not unique to GBrf

driver9000

Established Member
It's always bee like that on any TOC/FOc that work night shifts, not unique to GBrf

You're right but this sounds like they're getting a turn covered by someone who should be RD by cheekily booking them on in the last minute of their working day.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Look at it the other way, if you are not starting until 2359 Monday, then Monday is essentially a rest day.

66701GBRF

You're right but this sounds like they're getting a turn covered by someone who should be RD by cheekily booking them on in the last minute of their working day.

It can of course work the other way to. You could be rest day work Monday but book on at 2359 into a normal work day thus that shift will be paid entirely as RDW.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Look at it the other way, if you are not starting until 2359 Monday, then Monday is essentially a rest day.

Unless of course you were booked on at 2359 on Sunday night too. Even if not, you would have to have a sleep at some point prior to booking on at 2359 on the Monday to avoid excessive fatigue with the resultant safety implications.

class 9

Not at all, if you look at a traditional night shift of 2200-0600, the majority of the hours are in the following day, it's just how night shifts work.

driver9000

Established Member
Not at all, if you look at a traditional night shift of 2200-0600, the majority of the hours are in the following day, it's just how night shifts work.

I know how nights work, I've done enough of them but booking you on at 23:59 into a rest day is nothing more than a p*ss take. There's nights then there's that stunt.

Dieseldriver

I know how nights work, I've done enough of them but booking you on at 23:59 into a rest day is nothing more than a p*ss take. There's nights then there's that stunt.
I do agree with you but with the nature of freight work you could be booking on at any time anyway for a 12 hour turn.
If booking on at 2359, it could be for an actual night job that books on 2359 and books off at say 1100.
However, I think what annoys Drivers is if a dead early turn that books on at 0230 and books off at 1100 is uncovered and they bring you in at 2359 to sit and twiddle your thumbs for 2 hours 31 minutes before commencing said early turn.

Goingloco

So you will not know about your work schedule for the week until the Thursday before the Monday, is that correct?

Is there any typical early / late shifts or can you be rostered on at any time of day?

66701GBRF

As mentioned, you will have a fair idea as you should follow the base roster. You generally won’t know what you are doing if it’s AV days (basically spare without a rostered turn ), you work rest days or don’t sign the base job.

westcoaster

Established Member
That happens to train crew all up and down the country. And is apart of the roster. No different from being on lates finishing after 00:00 into your rest day

66701GBRF

That happens to train crew all up and down the country. And is apart of the roster. No different from being on lates finishing after 00:00 into your rest day

There is a big difference. Working lates you generally won’t be working much past 00:00 where as 2359 can have you working until 10:00.

12LDA28C

Established Member
There is a big difference. Working lates you generally won’t be working much past 00:00 where as 2359 can have you working until 10:00.

Absolutely. Finish at midnight or so, go to bed then get up in the morning and enjoy your day off. Can't do that if you're not getting to bed until mid to late morning on your so-called 'rest day'.

driver9000

Established Member

Finishing at say 01:00 is very different to booking on 1 minute before your rest day and being expected to work until mid morning effectively losing your day off.

Goingloco

Finishing at say 01:00 is very different to booking on 1 minute before your rest day and being expected to work until mid morning effectively losing your day off.
100%, day and night, chalk and cheese, I'm amazed they get any drivers.....

Seejwalker

@Stigy you joining the dark side after all this time?
I don’t know much of GBRF other than usual rumours, they’re overworked but potential for earning is pretty good.
They’ve just taken on more work too and potentially even more in the future (from the rumour mill). It seems like they’re soaking everything up at the minute.

BTU

It can of course work the other way to. You could be rest day work Monday but book on at 2359 into a normal work day thus that shift will be paid entirely as RDW.
No, not at all, can you go to the pub? or go away on a day trip ? no so it's not a rest day at all is it.

westcoaster

Established Member
Absolutely on our week of nights, the last night is Tuesday into Wednesday rest day. Can start upto 23:59 on the Tuesday generally finished by 08:00.

Goingloco

Out of curiosity and I appreciate it's a 'how long is a piece of string', but what would a 'typical" shift look like on gbrf?

I guess it depends on the depot but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts. How much driving is done etc?

I drive passenger and often wonder what the other side is like......

Status
Not open for further replies.