GCR Bridge Project

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Flying Phil, 18 Apr 2016.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Established Member

Thanks Rob F ......You are quite correct, which will make it a harder lift? I thought it was similar to the bridge at Swithland that was repaired several years ago.

2. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Rather large 1000t crane being assembled, for lifting in the bridge,adjacent to the north abutment. No Offical date for the actual date but it must be soonish!

Attached Files:

3. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Wow that's some bit of kit! Exciting times, thanks for the updates everyone.

4. Flying Phil

Thanks Mogulb.
    Well the crane is certainly BIG! It has a max lift load of 1250T. Given the cost of hiring, I think it must be in use very soon.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2017
  5. Flying Phil

Thanks Mogulb
    Well the crane is certainly BIG! It has a max lift load of 1250T. Given the cost of hiring, I think it must be in use very soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are four large wood bases on the ground, where the two steel cap structures will be placed prior to lifting to the top of the abutments...I would think? But when will they be delivered on site? The lift will need line possession overnight - could it be this holiday weekend?? (Sorry for double post but I cannot seem to delete one?....)
    Looking more closely at Mogulb's picture the wooden pads were for the crane lorry being used to assemble the big crane, the GC website just says that the bridge deck will go in in September (- but the steel beam abutment caps need to go in before the deck.).
    On checking the NR website for engineering work, the MML seems to have major work scheduled for the 16th both North and South of L'bro......

Last edited: 26 Aug 2017
  6. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Main bridge bearer beams craned in early this morning.

7. Flying Phil

Well, inspired by Mogulb's early post I popped along to Loughborough for a couple of final pre-hol pics.

The steel bearing beams are indeed on top of the abutments

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if the crane will stay until the bridge beams arrive, or, whether it will be stripped down, moved and then reappear later in Sept?

Whilst I was there a train of 4 preserved diesel locomotives made its way from the North, down the chord, onto the MML heading South.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Oct 2017
  8. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Thanks Phil for the pictures. There is one on the unofficial site showing them being craned in,early this morning but I could not get it to upload here. It will be interesting to see if the crane is dismantled and returns later or stays! If it stays the Bridge arrival must be imminent. PS Have a good holiday and you might even return to a bridge.

9. 43096

43096 Established Member

It was three preserved locos (37003 going to Leicester Depot and 41001 and 47828 going to Old Oak Common open day), hauled by GWR's 57604 (fresh off repaint at Loram Derby).

10. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Press release from GCR advises that the bridge deck will be crane in on the night of Sat 02 Sept and early Sun 03 Sept!

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/news/

11. fflint

fflint Member

Great news Mogulb, will you be there to see it and upload the pics? A shame it's happening now as Phil is away, isn't he?

12. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Unfortunately not,but I am sure I can borrow a photo or two to post on here!

13. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

The two main bridge beams will be delivered around lunchtime tomorrow ready for craning in early Sunday morning. The remainder of the bridge i.e. crossbeams, deck plates will then be installed over the coming weeks.

14. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Lift is planned to start at 0030 Sunday morning according to GCR website!

15. Cowley

It's amazing after so many years of hoping this would happen that in a couple of hours time they're going to start lifting it into place. Extraordinary.
    Is there a tears of joy emoji available? Soppy I know, but this is a wonderful thing. ;)

16. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

Both Bridge beams in place earlier this morning .

Attached Files:

17. jamescr

jamescr New Member

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/unify/ timeline with photos now published on their site :)

Also, some Twitter users who posted plenty of photos

https://twitter.com/GarethDennis
    https://twitter.com/RAIL

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LF69xAJzWs
    https://www.facebook.com/GcrNottingham/videos/10155020962708691/

I was also driving past the site yesterday on my way to the shops and the crane was definitely visible for a long way around, it's huge!

A congratulations needs to be given to GCR/GCRN but also a huge thank you for those providing coverage for those of us who were not there :)

Last edited: 3 Sep 2017
  18. Mogulb

Mogulb Member

View earlier this morning.( photo courtesy Ian Farnfield)

Attached Files:

19. fflint

fflint Member

Thanks to all for the reports and pictures, well done for staying up beyond normal bedtime, I hope you've had a lay in this morning:D. Can I ask have they put in the stringers in between the two beams or will they be putting them in later?

20. AndyW33

AndyW33 Member

The lift last night just put the two girders into position. Having looked at the site this morning, seems slightly odd to see them sitting there with nothing between them. They will be linked with deck plates during this week. Also to come shortly is cladding the abutments in blue brick to resemble the original ones.
    Then the rest of the project has to proceed. The bridge is the iconic part, but the other work required is more expensive and more time consuming. As always with heritage railway projects, the faster the money comes in, the faster things will happen!

21. jamescr

jamescr New Member

Is there any parts that can be done by volunteer labour? I imagine not given that the entire project is likely to either need heavy machinery or a huge amount of insurance that wouldn't cover volunteer labour (until maybe track laying?)

22. Cowley

I had to pinch myself that this wasn't an artists impression. :lol:

23. martinr1

martinr1 Member

A wonderful achievement. Many congratulations to all concerned with all the behind the scenes work that made this happen.

24. mushroomchow

mushroomchow Member

Snuck up on me so fast I didn't get a chance to see it before the beams were in place! I did however see the crane during a ride on the GC this weekend - it was an absolute monolith visible for miles around! Plenty of local interest garnered from the event.

Very proud of everybody involved - a real milestone for the railway and a posthumous two fingers up to Beeching and Marples. :)

25. duffield

duffield Member

It looks so odd with no central support that it looks like it's been photoshopped in!

26. Cowley

It's a long span isn't it. I'm sure it won't bend much with D123 parked in the middle though. ;)

27. furryfeet

furryfeet Member

What is the length of the span in metres ?

Also what speeds and axleloads can the bridge take ?

28. AndyPJG

AndyPJG Member

BBC News item, with a photo of the original bridge.

29. mushroomchow

mushroomchow Member

I believe the span is about 130 feet (40 metres). It's being built to full mainline specifications - no speed has been disclosed but given it's being constructed to a standard to allow future expansion of the GCR's mainline testing. My guess for a single track span would be somewhere in the region of 45mph, though of course service trains wouldn't hit those heights.

30. fflint

fflint Member

Thanks to all for the photos and sharing of knowledge:D