• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Flying Phil

Established Member
Yes, a real shame that the route into Leicester wasn't preserved by the GCR, but too late now. (Not blaming them, I don't think it was practical or affordable).
I think at the time (Mid 70's) the cost of going from Abbey Lane Sidings to Leicester Central was quoted as being the same as Belgrave and Birstall to Loughborough! As it was, the MLST, with Lots of Council support, could "only just" afford the Loughborough to Rothley single track.....and that was very fraught!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think at the time (Mid 70's) the cost of going from Abbey Lane Sidings to Leicester Central was quoted as being the same as Belgrave and Birstall to Loughborough! As it was, the MLST, with Lots of Council support, could "only just" afford the Loughborough to Rothley single track.....and that was very fraught!!
Very difficult to know what to do for the best back in those days.
The first time I visited the line it was just single track and ran from Loughborough to Rothley.
Although the aspirations were there none of us would have known in the 1980s that railway would have definitely got to where it is now with the Bridge project and branch line etc.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There has been more work by the Canal Bridge site. The immediate area is virtually clear now. A Mk2 coach has been removed and there are now 14 storage containers on the East side. There are about 12 old van bodies/conflat containers on the West side of the shed so I wonder if the contents are to be moved to the new containers? Thus ready for clearing the West side outside of the Shed?DSCF8055.JPG

Flying Phil

Established Member
The new bridge has now been officially "Signed Off" and is the responsibility of NR for maintenance (The GCR will be paying an annual fee for use). The spoil heap alongside the embankment will be moved to fill in the gap in the near future.....so our spades and barrows will not be needed!

AndyY1951

I hope that their will be an agreed engineering design for the embankment before a heap of 'spoil' is simply dumped there, or it might have to come out again!

Flying Phil

Established Member
I hope that their will be an agreed engineering design for the embankment before a heap of 'spoil' is simply dumped there, or it might have to come out again!

I'm sure there will be Andy....The new section of embankment will be slightly closer to the path of the brook and I expect the water people will have a say in the footprint to allow for access and flood plain considerations. It is relatively easy for we outsiders to say they should do it this or that way...in reality these things are always more complex than we realise. Having said that, the whole rail preservation movement is a triumph of hope over reality!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That’s a great phrase Phil. I like that one.

Mogulb

I'm sure there will be Andy....The new section of embankment will be slightly closer to the path of the brook and I expect the water people will have a say in the footprint to allow for access and flood plain considerations. It is relatively easy for we outsiders to say they should do it this or that way...in reality these things are always more complex than we realise. Having said that, the whole rail preservation movement is a triumph of hope over reality!

Spot on Phil. The environment agency require a 6 metre clear strip from the brook bank, the embankment slope on this side will need to be fairly steep to accommodate this. There are numerous engineering solutions from soil nailing to a vast array of retaining walls and Gabions.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I had a quick walk to the Canal bridge site and there has been no significant change apart from the large, black, rail mounted crane is now where the AC railcar was, behind the shed.
They are still busy installing the water treatment system, next to the path to the shed from the station.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The only change that I noticed yesterday was that the stored "wheeldrop" parts have disappeared from the area of the canal bridge. The water treatment works to the South of the shed have nearly been finished.

Flying Phil

Established Member
On today's visit there was no sign of any work being started on the canal bridge, but there was still some finishing being done on the water treatment site.
The GC website now says that over £300,000 has been raised for the bridge and that work will start soon.

Last edited:

Gostav

On today's visit there was no sign of any work being started on the canal bridge, but there was still some finishing being done on the water treatment site.
The GC website now says that over £300,000 has been raised for the bridge and that work will start soon.
I found that the south side of Q&W station is under construction, some switches were removed.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I found that the south side of Q&W station is under construction, some switches were removed.
Yes, the point leading into the turntable/siding dock has been removed and I believe a trial turnout from Loughborough University(??) is being used to replace it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, the point leading into the turntable/siding dock has been removed and I believe a trial turnout from Loughborough University(??) is being used to replace it.
Interesting. What kind of turnout is it Phil?

AndyB28

Thanks for your continuing efforts keeping us updated on this Phil. This is the thread I always come to first when logging on!
Could you clarify what the 'Water treatment site' is though? Is this something internal to the GCR? Many thanks.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Cowley I will try to find out more details.
AndyB The GCR use a Reverse Osmosis system to "purify/treat" the water that they use in the steam locomotive boilers. The plant was getting quite old and so they have been replacing it, with a new and bigger system which is largely underground, between the locomotive shed and the water tower near the platform. This is another of those investments which are pretty much unnoticed (£80,000 ish!) but it means that the boilers need less attention and last longer.

silverfoxcc

Phil
Your input is much appreciated. When i moved to Peterborough in 1973 there was a chap working in the BT office there that was member at Loughborough. I nearly joined but had to move back to London on promotion and a small baby! so something had to take the back seat. always paid an interest in the line s a whole and when the bridge was mooted kept my fingers crossed for it to happen. Last time i was there was the inaugural run of Tornado. Looks like another visit is overdue.

AndyB28

Cowley I will try to find out more details.
AndyB The GCR use a Reverse Osmosis system to "purify/treat" the water that they use in the steam locomotive boilers. The plant was getting quite old and so they have been replacing it, with a new and bigger system which is largely underground, between the locomotive shed and the water tower near the platform. This is another of those investments which are pretty much unnoticed (£80,000 ish!) but it means that the boilers need less attention and last longer.
Thanks for the explanation Phil. Must admit, the condition of the water for steam generation was something that hadn't even crossed my mind. These details are just as interesting as the gap work.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Pleased that my posts are being found useful.
Cowley The new point is a Loughborough University project and is only going to be for a period of time, then the original point is going back, but on new timbers.
On another aspect, the car park at Rothley Station is being prepared for resurfacing with tarmac and the Ellis Shed tea room is being extended.

I have been a member of the GC since MLPG (Main Line Preservation Group) days and feel very proud of how much has been achieved since those early days.
Standing at Swithland last weekend and seeing three steam locomotives at the same time, one (70013) on passenger, one (73156) on Windcutter and one (45305) waiting, was a very special moment. Knowing that there were another three locomotives in service as well......

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Phil and yes, you and everyone else that have been involved with the line (especially since the early days) should enjoy taking the odd moment to justifiably congratulate yourselves.
It’s wonderful and it’s going to get even better... :smile:

Chris125

Established Member
Interesting. What kind of turnout is it Phil?

It's called 'Repoint' and has been featured in The Rail Engineer: New Thinking for Point Operation

"Instead of sliding the rails across, why not lift them away from the sleeper base and lower them into a new position? This is the principle behind the new thinking.

In simplistic terms, three modified stretcher bars between the two stock rails (the outer rails) are fitted with two positioning slots (or more depending on the type of point) into which downward facing studs fitted to three actuator bearers that connect the two switch rails are lowered. The fit of the stud to the slot has to be exact, with strict tolerances, so as to achieve a prevention of movement that effectively locks the points into position.

When the point is reversed, motorised cams in the actuator bearers lift the two switch rails out of the slots, drive the rails across to the reverse position and lower them into different slots on the stretchers linking the stock rails. The power needed for this movement is calculated as less than sliding a conventional point."

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's called 'Repoint' and has been featured in The Rail Engineer: New Thinking for Point Operation

"Instead of sliding the rails across, why not lift them away from the sleeper base and lower them into a new position? This is the principle behind the new thinking.

In simplistic terms, three modified stretcher bars between the two stock rails (the outer rails) are fitted with two positioning slots (or more depending on the type of point) into which downward facing studs fitted to three actuator bearers that connect the two switch rails are lowered. The fit of the stud to the slot has to be exact, with strict tolerances, so as to achieve a prevention of movement that effectively locks the points into position.

When the point is reversed, motorised cams in the actuator bearers lift the two switch rails out of the slots, drive the rails across to the reverse position and lower them into different slots on the stretchers linking the stock rails. The power needed for this movement is calculated as less than sliding a conventional point."
Very much appreciated. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks MarkyT.
From the GCR website, they have also been doing some work, temporarily, removing the West side siding point, South of Rothley, thus isolating some of the "dead" stock stored there. This has been done as a training exercise for rail industry staff.

NeilNX

Interest design for pointwork. Simple aswell. Does the reduced energy use come from motors have less force to work against compared to sliding points and smooother mechanism

AndyY1951

I'm intrigued to know how it copes with anything in the way, such as a lump of ballast. It looks to be more susceptible than a conventional set of points.

Flying Phil

Established Member
In the winter edition #177 of "Main Line", it says that the canal bridge will be shot blasted to reveal its condition for a better assessment of the cost to repair. It will then have a preservative paint - followed by repair work, that may slip to later, next year.