• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCSE's for train driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comfy

Looking at trainee driver jobs round my area and they require you to have grade c in GCSE maths and english to be eligible to apply for the apprenticeship. I dont have a grade c in English, I did them 20 years ago and like to think Ive improved since then. Basically I was wanting to know if I have to sit a full gcse again or can I do a test to prove my english standard? I ask about the test as I know someone who didnt do his exams in this country and there was some confusion over grades. He was given a quick test to do while on his apprenticeship to prove his standard of english. I wondered what this test is and if I can do it beforehand as going back to college to study a gcse will be impossible for me as I work shifts on a rolling rota. Unless anyone knows another route for me to get a GCSE? Thanks for reading.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

I wouldn't of thought they'd allow UK nationals to undertake that test.....I'd of thought they asked the other person to do it so they could get an understanding of the Qualification/marking system they'd undertaken abroad.

I'd say if you've improved as you say the best thing you could do is find a way to retake the GCSE or whatever it's known as these days in the subject you require.

Alternatively just wait for the everyday trainee vacancies to be advertised and avoid the apprenticeship scheme.

Stigy

Established Member
Looking at trainee driver jobs round my area and they require you to have grade c in GCSE maths and english to be eligible to apply for the apprenticeship. I dont have a grade c in English, I did them 20 years ago and like to think Ive improved since then. Basically I was wanting to know if I have to sit a full gcse again or can I do a test to prove my english standard? I ask about the test as I know someone who didnt do his exams in this country and there was some confusion over grades. He was given a quick test to do while on his apprenticeship to prove his standard of english. I wondered what this test is and if I can do it beforehand as going back to college to study a gcse will be impossible for me as I work shifts on a rolling rota. Unless anyone knows another route for me to get a GCSE? Thanks for reading.
There is a test a lot of companies use where people cannot find their results or don’t have high enough grades. It’s kind of a small GCSE to test what your standard of English/Maths is at. A friend of mine did it for Network Rail when he became a signaller.

Whether all TOCs who use apprenticeships allow this is another matter. Fundamentally, you need grades A to C to do an apprenticeship these days as a rule.

Comfy

After more reading I think the test is called functional skills level 2. Does anyone know if this will be accepted to get on an apprenticeship if I get this qualification which is supposed to be an equivalent to GCSE grade A-C ? This is the one that that the person I know took whilst half way through his apprenticeship.

Comfy

There is a test a lot of companies use where people cannot find their results or don’t have high enough grades. It’s kind of a small GCSE to test what your standard of English/Maths is at. A friend of mine did it for Network Rail when he became a signaller.

Whether all TOCs who use apprenticeships allow this is another matter. Fundamentally, you need grades A to C to do an apprenticeship these days as a rule.
Thanks, I think I will get overlooked unless I get this GCSE, its daft really as I would have to sit an IT test anyway as it wasnt an option when I was at school and its needed to complete the apprenticeship as well.
If anyone knows a good route or provider for getting a gcse other than college I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks, I think I will get overlooked unless I get this GCSE, its daft really as I would have to sit an IT test anyway as it wasnt an option when I was at school and its needed to complete the apprenticeship as well.
If anyone knows a good route or provider for getting a gcse other than college I would appreciate any help. Thanks
If they don’t ask the question specifically in the application form and recruitment/HR tell you the functional skills tests would suffice, you surely have nothing to lose in applying? Good luck!

Comfy

If they don’t ask the question specifically in the application form and recruitment/HR tell you the functional skills tests would suffice, you surely have nothing to lose in applying? Good luck!
The application does state grade a-c gcse . So looks like I'll have to miss out on this one unfortunately. I will look to do an online gcse and be prepared for jobs next year.

Paulm36

After more reading I think the test is called functional skills level 2. Does anyone know if this will be accepted to get on an apprenticeship if I get this qualification which is supposed to be an equivalent to GCSE grade A-C ? This is the one that that the person I know took whilst half way through his apprenticeship.
I'm currently a trainee driver, and didn't have GCSE level A-C in maths or English and had to sit the functional skills level 2 in both. I did this whilst on my rules course with the train'd up people, so they are definitely enough to complete a level 3 apprenticeship. Not sure if train'd up offer this privately or not, but they might be worth a Google. Good luck.

OneLowban

Pretty sure I did functional skills level 2 (not sure on the name exactly) after secondary school with the company ‘Learn Direct’, it was an equivalent A-C GCSE in English. I needed it to get onto the buses a few years ago. It was a week or 2 long if I remember rightly.

Comfy

I guess I need to contact the toc and see if they accept an equivalent qualification. Thanks for the replies

34fh0131

I’ve been told for the TOC I’ve applied for ( and in the pool for ) that any applicants without GCSE A-C grades will need to do the level 2 qualifications along side the course. Didn’t seem to be an issue and seemed common for newbies.

Like you I’d also need to do the ICT GCSE as it wasn’t something we did 20 years ago.

EMR FYI

Comfy

Im going to contact them and try and clarify. Although it does specifically state you wont be shortlisted unless you meet all the criteria. One of which is having the required GCSEs and also that you have been in education for 9 years which is such a strange thing to put in an advert. Its for db cargo

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Comfy

If it's any comfort and reassurance - I'm nearly 40 with 15 years in the police under my belt. I will honestly admit I wasted my time at school and left with practically no GCSEs to my name. I've been fortunate that I've grafted my backside off most of my adult life and obtained dome nice qualifications along the way.

I'm sure there are plenty of railway employees who didn't do particularly well at school so please don't let this put you off. Even the Daily Mail published an article a while back saying that GCSEs are no longer fit for purpose. They were first introduced in 1988 to replace the traditional O Level and the government are now being urged to bring in new examinations for pupils as methods change in 30 years. I'm also lead to believe that teenagers currently in the education system will not be able to leave school until they are 18 unless they have secured an apprenticeship.

I was one of many who couldn't wait to leave school ASAP but luckily I've landed on my feet!!! Many potential employers seem more interested in higher education qualifications these days than what you did at school.

C J

Stigy

Established Member
Comfy

If it's any comfort and reassurance - I'm nearly 40 with 15 years in the police under my belt. I will honestly admit I wasted my time at school and left with practically no GCSEs to my name. I've been fortunate that I've grafted my backside off most of my adult life and obtained dome nice qualifications along the way.

I'm sure there are plenty of railway employees who didn't do particularly well at school so please don't let this put you off. Even the Daily Mail published an article a while back saying that GCSEs are no longer fit for purpose. They were first introduced in 1988 to replace the traditional O Level and the government are now being urged to bring in new examinations for pupils as methods change in 30 years. I'm also lead to believe that teenagers currently in the education system will not be able to leave school until they are 18 unless they have secured an apprenticeship.

I was one of many who couldn't wait to leave school ASAP but luckily I've landed on my feet!!! Many potential employers seem more interested in higher education qualifications these days than what you did at school.

C J
I’m the same. I left school with no GCSEs. In fact, my best GCSE grade was an E in French and I can’t speak a word of it :)

I’ve been on the railway for about 13-years and am now a Trainee Driver. The GCSEs required are literally to satisfy the rules of an apprenticeship, and ordinarily a TOC or FOC really wouldn’t pay much attention to to them unless it’s for a job which requires qualifications higher than GCSEs. Like you, I’ve done several courses to upskill myself, although I’m not overly convinced my level 3 in management or whatever it’s called has actually been of any benefit. Looks good on a CV and on LinkedIn though I guess?

Last edited:

Comfy

Ive two applications in so far with other tocs that dont require gcse's so fingers crossed with those. I hated school as well but managed c's in maths and science its just english thats holding me back which I got a D for language, E for literature but a C for speaking and listening which i believe was an extra part of english language. I dont know if I can just class that as my magic C grade lol

Need2

Unless this application is different, I would assume that age is no bar?
If that is the case, how would anyone over the age of 40-45 prove there school exam qualifications?
My school no longer exists and I doubt even the examining boards do either! (CSE and GCE if I remember correctly)

Stigy

Established Member
If that is the case, how would anyone over the age of 40-45 prove there school exam qualifications?
My school no longer exists and I doubt even the examining boards do either! (CSE and GCE if I remember correctly)
You can still obtain historical exam results. Don’t ask me how, but I know there’s a record.

ComUtoR

Established Member
https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-certificate

Contact an exam board to get a replacement exam certificate or certified statement of results.

You cannot get a replacement certificate for an O level, CSE, GCSE or A level - your exam board will send you a ‘certified statement of results’ instead. You can use this in place of your exam certificate, for example for a university application.

Boards may give you a replacement certificate for other qualifications they offer.

You may need to prove your identity and pay a fee.

Find out which exam board you should contact if your old exam board no longer exists.

Hope that helps.

Skipness

I was an examination officer at a school until retirement. I can report that dozens of former pupils per year sought previous results. All the exam boards (and their modern successors) will provide you with a copy of your results, for a fee. Details are on their websites.

Anonyprovider

Hi there,

So I work for an independent apprenticeship provider.

You are right - the deal is that to pass an apprenticeship, you have to prove you've achieved the Functional Skills standard for English and Maths for that particular level. For a Level 3 apprenticeship like you're looking at (which is roughly equivalent to A-level study), that's Level 2 (the top level of Functional Skills qualifications). Functional Skills exams are taken as part of your apprenticeship training.

If you have previously passed a GCSE or similar qualification in English and/or Maths at this level (there is an approved list) and can produce a certificate to prove it, then you will be exempt from passing a Functional Skills exam as part of your apprenticeship training. If you haven't passed and/or can't produce the proof, you'll have to do the exams.

The employer or training provider will usually make any applicant sit a Functional Skills diagnostic test (they're online tests, usually takes about an hour to do both English and Maths) to check they will be able to get a Level 2 pass, before they accept them to do the apprenticeship.

So to answer your questions:
- The English and Maths study requirement should be baked into the apprenticeship training
- You will probably have to pass a diagnostic to get onto the apprenticeship, but not having the qualification shouldn't be a barrier
- You will then take the English and Maths Functional Skills exams during your apprenticeship and you MUST pass these to get your apprenticeship.

NB: Some employers won't look at applications from people without GCSEs in English and Maths. If there is a specific requirement that you have to have these written on the application form, then you may be rejected anyway. I would still say it's worth applying and explaining you know you will need to do FS to pass.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.