• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GEML delays near Ilford (28/03)

afc75

Been problems since about 7pm, sat on a train at Liv St not leaving. Any ideas on issue/resolution?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Been problems since about 7pm, sat on a train at Liv St not leaving. Any ideas on issue/resolution?

Originally the source of the problems seems to be 1A94 which damaged the wires on the Down Main between Ilford and Manor Park.

Both GA and EL trains were able to use the electrics to divert around for a couple of hours, until the discovery of the unstable structure. Trains being turned at Shenfield as a result.

Is this a problem common to 720s? I remember another incident where they damaged the wires at Thorpe le Soken a couple of weeks back

afc75

Originally the source of the problems seems to be 1A94 which damaged the wires on the Down Main between Ilford and Manor Park.

Both GA and EL trains were able to use the electrics to divert around for a couple of hours, until the discovery of the unstable structure. Trains being turned at Shenfield as a result.

Is this a problem common to 720s? I remember another incident where they damaged the wires at Thorpe le Soken a couple of weeks back
Every single train up to the last train to Chelmsford (colchester) 00.46 is showing as cancelled. How accurate is this?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Every single train up to the last train to Chelmsford (colchester) 00.46 is showing as cancelled. How accurate is this?

Probably very. The structure is reported to be unsafe and touching OLE.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
As in, i would be better off looking 4 a hotel?

Staff are still required to get you to your destination at no extra cost. I imagine they'll be trying to rustle together some sort of road transport, although that might be from Newbury Park (like the engineering works). Could be a while though.

Alfie1014

Staff are still required to get you to your destination at no extra cost. I imagine they'll be trying to rustle together some sort of road transport, although that might be from Newbury Park (like the engineering works). Could be a while though.
Good luck with that GA are ‘Xing’ that passengers should find their own way home and claim back expenses through Customer Services. WA services have been no better this evening with the line blocked at Stansted Mountfitchet. Lots of trains out of place Liverpool Street currently has 15 out of the 17 platforms occupied by stock unable to get to Ilford or delayed getting to Orient Way, which tonight appears to be via Tottenham Hale (reverse) and Stratford (reverse)!

afc75

Good luck with that GA are ‘Xing’ that passengers should find their own way home and claim back expenses through Customer Services. WA services have been no better this evening with the line blocked at Stansted Mountfitchet. Lots of trains out of place Liverpool Street currently has 15 out of the 17 platforms occupied by stock unable to get to Ilford or delayed getting to Orient Way, which tonight appears to be via Tottenham Hale (reverse) and Stratford (reverse)!
Yeah. I looked 4 a Stansted train earlier, saw that was no option.

Managed to get an Über for £110 back to Chelmsford......hoping can claim back no issues.

Samzino

Was told one of the structure arms had come down blocking the line. Seems a mess with hundreds stranded. The last few Lizzy Line trains had to be directed to ABW and then ECS to Old Oak Common with the Shenfield drivers I assume Taxied back to their depot.

LAX54

Established Member

This seems to be the reason....
staff on site at Ilford CS L/E Jn confirms scaffolding has collapsed from a construction site into the wires on the Up main.
Down Main is obstructed with the fallen equipment.

dk1

Veteran Member
A large amount of scaffolding from an external site collapsed onto the OHL.

Alfie1014

I wonder if it’s from the old Harrison Gibson building which seems to have been abandoned and covered in scaffolding for years?

Established Member
I wonder if it’s from the old Harrison Gibson building which seems to have been abandoned and covered in scaffolding for years?
If it was it wouldn’t be the first time that building had caused trouble for the railway. Here’s an article from the Ilford Recorder about the great fire in 1959.

https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/li...rrison-gibson-fire-ilford-high-road-60-years/

As the Harrison Gibson warehouse burned, all rail travel through Ilford was also suspended due to fears the building, which backed onto the railway line, would collapse across the tracks. That order was given at around 8pm, and it wasn’t until just after midnight that a freight train was slowly allowed to crawl past heading into London.

Alfie1014

Apparently been pretty much abandoned since 2008 and owned by an off shore company based in Jersey!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yeah. I looked 4 a Stansted train earlier, saw that was no option.

Managed to get an Über for £110 back to Chelmsford......hoping can claim back no issues.

Yeah definitely keep that reciept and claim back. GA seem to be one of the better operators for this sort of thing so hopefully no issues.

Line was reopened early hours of this morning.