• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GEML - Heat disruption 19/07/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

Heat related problems on the GEML today too. Broken rail on Bethnal Green bank during this morning's peak, normal heat related speed restrictions (and planned cancellations) in place this afternoon and in the last hour or so the wires down on the Southend Victoria branch between Billericay and Wickford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Sorry for repeating myself but I'm really glad that my commuting days on the Wickford "ovens" are well behind me. My commute now has VTEC air con. :D

Alfie1014

Not another good day today, normal heat related service reductions for the evening peak, made much worse by a broken rail the London end of Colchester on the down line, result single line working from Marks Tey to country end of Colchester only plats 3 and 4 in use for through trains, (in effect only one through line). Trains delayed by up to 90 minutes trains stood all the back to Chelmsford and Ipswich and beyond and now line blocked between Ipswich and Stowmarket due to an obstruction. I need a drink!

Line blockage caused by a tree on the line probably caused by massive thunderstorm in the area earlier.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Some trains routed around the back of Colchester via the Goods Lines and Platform 1. However this route is eight carriages maximum when stopping at Colchester.

DasLunatic

Some trains routed around the back of Colchester via the Goods Lines and Platform 1. However this route is eight carriages maximum when stopping at Colchester.

Is it not possible to stop the train with the front two carriages overhanging, so that pax can alight from Coaches 3-10? Could an announcement be made at Kelvedon or Witham that you cannot alight from the first and last two coaches?

dk1

Veteran Member
Is it not possible to stop the train with the front two carriages overhanging, so that pax can alight from Coaches 3-10? Could an announcement be made at Kelvedon or Witham that you cannot alight from the first and last two coaches?

What if the signal at the end of the platform was at danger? You simply cannot do things like that anymore. I recall IC services sending a member of catering crew to the rear 1st class coaches to stop passengers alighting when running into Colchester P1 via the Goods lines, and ive done it recently with an IC set at Ilford by locking 1st class with a T-Key when terminating due to a fatality. You couldn't do that with an EMU by any shape or means.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a footnote, I cannot believe my luck. I was asked yesterday if today I would come of my IC main line turn & cover a double Norwich/Cambridge coming in later & going home earlier. Going home earlier is an understatement with all the goings on this afternoon :lol::p:lol:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What if the signal at the end of the platform was at danger? You simply cannot do things like that anymore. I recall IC services sending a member of catering crew to the rear 1st class coaches to stop passengers alighting when running into Colchester P1 via the Goods lines, and ive done it recently with an IC set at Ilford by locking 1st class with a T-Key when terminating due to a fatality. You couldn't do that with an EMU by any shape or means.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As a footnote, I cannot believe my luck. I was asked yesterday if today I would come of my IC main line turn & cover a double Norwich/Cambridge coming in later & going home earlier. Going home earlier is an understatement with all the goings on this afternoon :lol::p:lol:

Lucky you! :D
I do not envy anyone that has been caught up in the disruption, more so with the hot weather that we have been experiencing over the last few days.
Sam

dk1

Veteran Member
Lucky you! :D
I do not envy anyone that has been caught up in the disruption, more so with the hot weather that we have been experiencing over the last few days.
Sam

Luckier still I have been off since Saturday so missed most of the chaos this time round. These things have always happened & no doubt always will. At least they give out bottles of warm water these days.

MichaelAMW

You could move the passengers in the rear two coaches forward and then release the doors once you knew the situation was safe.

dk1

Veteran Member
You could move the passengers in the rear two coaches forward and then release the doors once you knew the situation was safe.

In an emergency yes but can you just imagine how long that takes & where are the staff on DOO services? It is a nightmare honestly.

Sleepy

Established Member
1P50 looks fun on realtime - made it to Haughley Junc. and now back at Ipswich ?!?

Last edited:

Richard1960

Was on the line from harlow town to harlow mill the driver announced the train would travel at 25% of normal speed due to the heat,luckily it picked up speed after harlow mill to Cambridge.:D

On the plus side GA had it well sorted at Diss station after Lattitude Festival on the monday lots of staff taking the cash out front.lol.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
1P67 1943 Norwich to London Liverpool Street left Norwich 18 minutes late, got caught behind the 1930 Norwich to London Liverpool Street at Diss, eventually arriving at 2108 after the 321s on the 1930 had returned to Norwich. Left Diss at 2222 (142 minutes late) once the obstruction was removed, further delay to Ipswich and Colchester due to congestion. Now awaiting use of the single line working between Colchester and Witham. Won't be on the way from Colchester until at least 0015 (3 and a half hours late).

Established Member
Sam

It wasn't good, long queue of trains in every signal section from Marks Tey back nearly to Witham at one point.

Curiously the 18.30 Liverpool St to Norwich (90/DVT) ran via the goods road at Colchester to platform 1, but the following 18.20 Liverpool St to Harwich International (8 car 321 which loops at Witham for the 18.30 Norwich to overtake) ran straight into platform 1. Following some remodelling work a few years back platform 1 can now hold an 8 car EMU if approached from the goods road, or 12 cars if approached normally.

This all caused further delay as the rear doors on the MkIII set had to be manually locked before the remainder could be released. There must have been a good reason for running the trains like that, but it wasn't apparent at the time.

Then to add further carnage the High Output Ballast Cleaner sets off from Parkeston towards Witham to work as planned.

dk1

Veteran Member
I couldn't be bothered to trawl through the Twitter feed last night but no doubt there where those as always proclaiming "I hope you lose the franchise" :roll:

Like it makes the slightest bit of difference who runs the trains, last nights outcome would have been exactly the same. They just have to be patient as experience tells me similar adventures will happen in the future.

MichaelAMW

In an emergency yes but can you just imagine how long that takes & where are the staff on DOO services? It is a nightmare honestly.

Well, I have to admit I'd assumed you'd at least have a guard to round them up - but DOO, I get your point.

dk1

Veteran Member
Well, I have to admit I'd assumed you'd at least have a guard to round them up - but DOO, I get your point.

You would have to manually lock each coach OOU which it is then not legal to carry passengers in so move 3 carriage loads down the train unless you try to do it when at a stand. As you could imagine it would be chaos when trains are loaded with 500-600 passengers.

On the plus side I was dispatched to help at Stowmarket and they let me play with the big PA system, cracked out my best BBC voice, with a hint of Suffolk of course.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
You would have to manually lock each coach OOU which it is then not legal to carry passengers in so move 3 carriage loads down the train unless you try to do it when at a stand. As you could imagine it would be chaos when trains are loaded with 500-600 passengers.

Do the trains on the GEML have any kind of ASDO or SDO installed?

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm sure grumblingalong will confirm but only the 170s for sure and I think one of the 321 subclasses have any sort of SDO.

Long story short P1 at Colchester via the loop is almost always the least preferable option in any passenger situation.

Trog

Established Member
Not another good day today, normal heat related service reductions for the evening peak, made much worse by a broken rail the London end of Colchester on the down line.

Was told it was a buckle at Ipswich Station and on the train to Liverpool St.

dk1

Veteran Member
Do the trains on the GEML have any kind of ASDO or SDO installed?

Only certain 321s for use on Braintree services. This is why if they are sent out incorrectly formed from the depot these 12-car services are not permitted to stop at Freeport or White Notley (or maybe Cressing, not 100% sure).

Only other units thus fitted are 170s. Intercity sets do not have any CDO option.

I'm sure grumblingalong will confirm but only the 170s for sure and I think one of the 321 subclasses have any sort of SDO.

Long story short P1 at Colchester via the loop is almost always the least preferable option in any passenger situation.

As if by magic....yes 321/4s have SDO for use on the Braintree branch in the peaks.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Only certain 321s for use on Braintree services. This is why if they are sent out incorrectly formed from the depot these 12-car services are not permitted to stop at Freeport or White Notley (or maybe Cressing, not 100% sure).

Only other units thus fitted are 170s. Intercity sets do not have any CDO option.

It's Cressing as well as Freeport. But yes 321/4's are able to be locked out. We drivers are nothing to do with that process though as the guard does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.