• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

341o2

Established Member
Miguel de Cervantes - 22 April
William Shakespeare - 23 April

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
I believe at that time Spain was using the Gregorian calendar but England was still using the Julian calendar. Does that make a difference?

Calthrop

Established Member
341o2, DaleCooper: between you, you have both of the reasons for the statement being false, as it indeed is -- Cervantes actually died on the 22nd, with his funeral on the 23rd; and even if both had died on the same date, the events would have been actually ten days apart, because of the Gregorian / Julian calendars factor.

DaleCooper, you first stated "false"; so, your floor.

DaleCooper

Established Member
What is all this avocado business?

It's the old question: "Avocado?"
Answer: "No thanks I've just had one."

Also applies to Avogadro and Hava Nagila

Enough flippancy next question:

Querying why exporting rodents to York University is objectionable professor Adler said "Don't forget Germany's happy just knowing London Zoo X-rays coypus,voles but not mice".

What's all that about?

Calthrop

Established Member

Querying why exporting rodents to York University is objectionable professor Adler said "Don't forget Germany's happy just knowing London Zoo X-rays coypus,voles but not mice".

What's all that about?

Off top of head, haven't the slightest idea ! I presume this isn't a sneaked-in cryptic anagram-type one ;) ...

DaleCooper

Established Member
Off top of head, haven't the slightest idea ! I presume this isn't a sneaked-in cryptic anagram-type one ;) ...

No, it isn't a "sneaked-in cryptic anagram" and it doesn't require any special knowledge; anyone should be able to see the answer. I don't think Google will be any help though.

Calthrop

Established Member
Just conceivably -- the coypus and voles have the status of zoo exhibits, whereas the mice are for more utiitarian / uglier purposes: food for various carnivorous creatures, and / or lab animals?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Just conceivably -- the coypus and voles have the status of zoo exhibits, whereas the mice are for more utiitarian / uglier purposes: food for various carnivorous creatures, and / or lab animals?

You're barking up the wrong tree.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The answer is probably under your nose, it's certainly under mine.

Remember guesses beget hints.

krus_aragon

Established Member
OK as it was a guess it deserves the promised hint.

According to my rough calculation only about 18% of the sentence is relevant to the answer.

At a scan, I see twenty-six words, and I think each letter of the English alphabet is used once for the start of each word.

TheEdge

Established Member
No, it isn't a "sneaked-in cryptic anagram" and it doesn't require any special knowledge; anyone should be able to see the answer. I don't think Google will be any help though.

OBJECTION!

I put it to you Sir this is indeed a "sneaked-in cryptic anagram" and you seek to misguide the efforts of the quizzing enthusiasts. What do you have to say for yourself Sir?

DaleCooper

Established Member
OBJECTION!

I put it to you Sir this is indeed a "sneaked-in cryptic anagram" and you seek to misguide the efforts of the quizzing enthusiasts. What do you have to say for yourself Sir?

I wouldn't want to try anagrammatising those 144 letters but you're welcome to give it a go. As for the charge of "seeking to misguide"; I plead guilty and proud of it. As penance my next question will concern the amusing Battlestar Galactica episode when the commander's trousers fell down just as the ship's female chaplain entered his cabin.

Ah, following the QWERTY keyboard, too!

That's it, your turn...

krus_aragon

Established Member

Nope.
Early computers?

I like your thinking, but computers would more likely be limited to 2 or 4 (2^2) colours, rather than 5.
WPBSA (World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association)?

Neither of those started with five colours, to my knowledge.
Clue time:
Who (or what) originally thought that we could play well with only five colours?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Simon. Hasbro I think.

It sounds like an old game lag line from the 80's but I'm pushing my memory a bit.