• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
Was he Polish? Name I do not know, but I think he cracked it first but gave Turing a big clue on how to solve it when they changed the design.

DerekC

Established Member
No he was not Polish. Turing did say though the bombe (Christopher as he called it in the film) was inspired by an old Polish design.

There was a lot more to the Polish contribution than that. The Poles under the leadership of Rejewski broke the first version of the Enigma machine using their "Bomby" which was the intellectual ancestor of the Bletchley Park "Bombe" even though the "Bombe" was much more advanced. In one of the key moments of the war (before it even started) in July and August 1939 the Poles handed over a copied version of the Enigma, the design of the Bomby and the "Zygalski sheets" which also formed a key part of their methods of decryption. This got Turing and Bletchley Park off to a flying start.

In terms of the British effort, there is a danger of history being rewritten around Turing as though he was a one-man band, great though his contribution was. Apart from Turing some of the key names were Denniston (who launched the whole thing and recruited the team), Knox, Twin, Jeffreys, Welchman (who realised the scale of the problem and put the organisation together), Milner-Barry, Herivel, Keen, Hinsley and lots of others.

If you haven't been, a visit to Bletchley Park is quite revealing in terms of the ultimate scale and professionalism of the organisation - but read a good book on the subject first!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
So in terms of the question which critical member of the team did not even get mentioned in The Imitation Game and made a huge contribution - Gordon Welchman whose work on traffic analysis is still used today. Wikipedia entry here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Welchman
(BTW I agree about history being rewritten a little too much around Turing even though he is one of my heroes) I have read at least 3 books on the subject btw.

Open floor

DerekC

Established Member

(BTW I agree about history being rewritten a little too much around Turing even though he is one of my heroes) I have read at least 3 books on the subject btw.

Open floor
Sorry - I didn't mean to be patronising - the message was for anyone reading it! I did find the order of the tour at Bletchley Park a bit random and it helped a lot to have read books on the subject first.

OK - so sticking to the subject of Bletchley Park, what senior politician and cabinet minister did a spell as a code-breaker in his earlier life?

DerekC

Established Member
Ian Macleod

Not so far as I can see. Ian Macleod had a distinguished war including landing on "Gold" beach on D-day but not, I think, Bletchley Park. (My mother, otherwise a lifelong Liberal/Lib Dem, voted for him in the 1950s because he was such a good constituency MP. I dimly recall him coming to our house on one occasion).

Someone slightly younger and with Welsh rather than Scottish ancestry!

Last edited:

Marton

Lady Trumpington. May have been in the cabinet as Leader of the Lords . I’m not 100% sure

DerekC

Established Member
Picks a name at random: Rab Butler?

Not Rab. He was a minister throughout WWII (hence the Butler Education Act of 1944)

Lady Trumpington. May have been in the cabinet as Leader of the Lords . I’m not 100% sure

Lady Trumpington did indeed work at Bletchley Park but she was never, I think, in the cabinet. Very good try, though.

Aim a little further to the left!

DaleCooper

Established Member
I didn't know he did that but he was the only Labour Home Secretary I could think of.

Next question:

Which well known album cover depicts, among other things, a group of primates, a beetle, a zebra and a herald beneath some trees in a wood?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I didn't know he did that but he was the only Labour Home Secretary I could think of.

Next question:

Which well known album cover depicts, among other things, a group of primates, a beetle, a zebra and a herald beneath some trees in a wood?
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? There's pretty much everyone and everything else on there...

DaleCooper

Established Member
Beatles - Abbey Road?
Saw the first clue, then thought of St. John's Wood and The Beetle car
Correct and a bit further up the road is a light blue Triumph Herald estate, your turn ...