• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

These red-coated army chaps would be the poor man's equivalent to Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub but I can't remember if they are Chigley or Camberwick Green based.
You are correct - They would be found in Pippin Fort in Camberwick Green - Sergeant Major Grout shouts the floor is yours

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

Pippin Fort, thank you, that part I had completely forgotten about.

Who links West Yorkshire and Michigan as a female first from the UK?

perryman

Barbara Hepworth?
It's not Barbara Hepworth.

This took place in 1970 and lasted for approximately 2-3 years before this person was deemed surplus to requirements in the US and 'went' elsewhere, to greater success and fame.

Would that be Kiki Dee who did backing vocals for Elton john on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road before dueting on Don't got breaking my heart

perryman

Would that be Kiki Dee who did backing vocals for Elton john on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road before dueting on Don't got breaking my heart
The answer is indeed Kiki Dee, well done.

She was signed up by Tamla Motown into 1970, to not much success but was the first British vocalist to have the honour. Obviously her career took off when she was signed by Rocket and Elton John, although the original female singer he wanted to duet 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' with was Dusty Springfield but she was ill at the time, so enter Kiki Dee.

Your turn to share the stage with Elton.

perryman

I have a recall that this could be Crossroads. As a kid in the early 1970s, there was no more-than-one-telly-option in almost every household, unless you went to the high street and stood in front of the Radio Rentals shop window so I had no choice but to watch the programme as it was my mother's favourite show (along with The Brothers but that's because I secretly think she fancied them).

I remember the twangy-style end theme tune and credits, coming across and up into the screen like a line-by-line crossword and along with the cast, Tony Hatch (and possibly Jackie Trent but not sure about her) I'm sure Hazel Adair & Peter Ling's names came up too, right at the very end (or possibly sooner).

Last edited:

I have a recall that this could be Crossroads. As a kid in the early 1970s, there was no more-than-one-telly-option in almost every household, unless you went to the high street and stood in front of the Radio Rentals shop window so I had no choice but to watch the programme as it was my mother's favourite show (along with The Brothers but that's because I secretly think she fancied them).

I remember the twangy-style end theme tune and credits, coming across and up into the screen like a line-by-line crossword and along with the cast, Tony Hatch (and possibly Jackie Trent but not sure about her) I'm sure Hazel Adair & Peter Ling's names came up too, right at the very end (or possibly sooner).
You are correct - it was Crossroads - ran for 24 years followed by a 2 year revival with nearly 5000 episodes

Gabrielle Drake was the last manager of Crossroads and interestingly was in The Brothers as well - both your mothers favourites

The floor is yours

perryman

Gabrielle Drake was the last manager of Crossroads and interestingly was in The Brothers as well - both your mothers favourites
Oooh, forgot about Gabrielle. Definitely stirred something in the adolescent me.

However, moving on swiftly, open floor please.

MotCO

Established Member
If I may take the floor?

There are three modern forms of an Obelus; what are they?

Gloster

Established Member
I think one is the dagger sign used as an alternative to an asterisk in books to indicate a note, or to indicate that a person just mentioned in a list, such as one of contributors, is deceased.

Who can remember the crowd outside a TV shop at 17.00 on Saturday watching the football results? (EDIT: Relates to #15,613.)

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
I think one is the dagger sign used as an alternative to an asterisk in books to indicate a note, or to indicate that a person just mentioned in a list, such as one of contributors, is deceased.

Correct - that is one of the three modern forms. Another two to find.

Would that be the division sign - a dot either side of a straight line - is it to do with ratios as well ?