• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
5 Great Western Railway

Why, on thus if all forums am I the first to post this answer!
That is a railway, this quiz is supposed to avoid railways! GWR stands for many other things. Is the BBC not a Corporation? I could accept Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation, as a tory once called it :%)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Point of clarification. Are we looking for two answers in common useage per abbreviation?

P.S. Pen y Gwryd ("PyG") is the name of the hotel at the top of the Llanberis pass, and is a common setting off point for the ascent of Snowdon, from which there is a "Pig" track up the mountainside. Name derivation of the Pig track is a little uncertain, it maybe named after Bwlch y Moch (= Pass of the Pigs) or the afore-mentioned hotel, or maybe "Pyg", which is Welsh for tar or bitumen.

AndyPJG

3. ABC - Airway, Breathing, Circulation and Australian Broadcasting CompanyCorporation.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
BBC = Brown Boveri Company
ATC = Automatic Train Control (sorry)
GWR= Guinness World Records
FRG = Family Rights Group
At least three points, bbc and gwr were the ones I had in mind, but there are so many right answers.

I was intrigued to see computers being offered with "DDR" long after 1990.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Where are we with this one? And are points still being awarded for anyone who has only provided one possible answer for a particular abbreviation?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Where are we with this one? And are points still being awarded for anyone who has only provided one possible answer for a particular abbreviation?
I just created an excel table on paper. Still looking for second answers for DDR and GWR (not a railway!).
Suitable made-up answers are welcome.

I shall add up points for (8*2)+1=17 answers.

Calthrop

Established Member
I have a great love of Ireland ("in all respects") -- despite being 100% English. Following, some questions -- trying basically to eschew political / historical stuff -- on an Irish theme.

(1) Please name and approx. locate, the highest mountain in the island of Ireland.

(2) The Irish singer / songwriter / comedian Percy French's most famous song, is probably Are Ye Right There, Michael? -- taking the mickey out of the shortcomings of the West Clare Railway. Please name another song of some note, by him.

(3) Northern Ireland -- the part of the island in the UK -- comprises six counties. How many counties are there in the Republic of Ireland?

(4) Illicitly-distilled whiskey is a well-known-and-loved theme in Irish lore. What is the generally recognised Irish word for it?

(5) Whereabouts in Ireland, are the Marble Arch Caves?

(6) Please name Dublin's biggest and best-loved in-city recreational open space (including the city's zoo).

Calthrop

Established Member
2. And I'm guessing it's Christy Moore.
The Airport at Knock song, covering said airport build in the middle of nowhere for a papal visit? Ironically, the airport is now (in pre-Covid times) well served.

Er, sorry -- unless I'm missing a trick -- I'm asking for another song by Percy French, not by some later song-writing luminary: Percy died in 1920, pretty much before airports were invented ...

perryman

Er, sorry -- unless I'm missing a trick -- I'm asking for another song by Percy French, not by some later song-writing luminary: Percy died in 1920, pretty much before airports were invented ...

Misread the question, sorry.