• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old-School

Which Author had his first breakthrough in 1968 whilst working in journalism and well known for wearing large, black fedora hats, as seen on the inside back covers of most of his books.

Seacook

Which Author had his first breakthrough in 1968 whilst working in journalism and well known for wearing large, black fedora hats, as seen on the inside back covers of most of his books.

This sounds like Terry Pratchett. His first novel, The Carpet People, was published when he around 17.

deltic1989

Established Member
Herbert they are all the middle names of US presidents, Gerald Rudolph Ford jr, James Earl Carter jr, Ronald Wilson Reagen, George Herbert Walker Bush snr.

Heinz57

Thanks,

Ok erm let me think. Ahh, here we go:

Which childrens author bought Hill Top farm in the Lake District?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I will therefore set the next one....

What daughter of one English king carried the title of Empress after her marriage, never actually carrying the title of Queen of England, and gave birth to another king of England with the same first name as her father.

Seacook

I will therefore set the next one....

What daughter of one English king carried the title of Empress after her marriage, never actually carrying the title of Queen of England, and gave birth to another king of England with the same first name as her father.

Was this Matilda (or Maud*)?

*Most of my knowledge of history comes from 1066 And All That.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Was this Matilda (or Maud*)?

*Most of my knowledge of history comes from 1066 And All That.

Correct. She was the daughter of Henry I, born in 1102, and the cousin of Stephen de Blois, who seized the English throne and became King Stephen. She was one of the main powers in the civil war that afflicted England which is sometimes known as "The Anarchy".

She succeeded to the throne of England on the death of Henry I, but was never crowned Queen. She married twice...the first time to Henry V, the Holy Roman Emperor, where her title was that of Empress, then to Geoffrey of Anjou , by whom she had three sons. Her eldest of these sons became Henry II of England. She died in 1167.

Your turn to set the next one.

Seacook

What links the following?

An environmental organization founded in San Francisco in 1892
The author of The Third Chimpanzee and Guns, Germs and Steel
The literary source for the film Apocalypse Now
The detective in The Maltese Falcon