• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

millemille

OK, I'll jump back in
Rainbow codes again, this time what was "Blue Parrot"? (and it wasn't a bomb)

That was the radar/targeting system fitted to the Blackburn Buccaneer.

Where does the wing commander keep his Buccaneers?

On the sides of his Buccanhead...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
That was the radar/targeting system fitted to the Blackburn Buccaneer.

Where does the wing commander keep his Buccaneers?

On the sides of his Buccanhead...
Yep, it was the terrain-contour following radar in the Buccaneers which enabled them to fly at sea level

Your go

millemille

Yep, it was the terrain-contour following radar in the Buccaneers which enabled them to fly at sea level

Your go

Ok, what links a song sung by the owner of High Peak Farm to a song sung by an Australian who was formerly considered a novelty act and a song sung by a band with at least one member with a penchant for school uniforms and was about the travails of being a rock and roll act?

randyrippley

Established Member
Ok, what links a song sung by the owner of High Peak Farm to a song sung by an Australian who was formerly considered a novelty act and a song sung by a band with at least one member with a penchant for school uniforms and was about the travails of being a rock and roll act?
Well................AC/DC must be in there somewhere but otherwise no idea

DaleCooper

Established Member
Should that be "High Park Farm"?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Hell
AC/DC - Highway to Hell, Paul McCartney - Helen Wheels, A.N.Other - Song About Hell

SteveM70

Established Member
Is this about songs alleged to have hidden messages in them when played backwards?

millemille

Ok, what links a song sung by the owner of High Park Farm to a song sung by an Australian who was formerly considered a novelty act and a song sung by a band with at least one member with a penchant for school uniforms and was about the travails of being a rock and roll act?

The link is something common in the songs themselves, it's obvious - even to a non musician such as myself - if you've heard all three songs at any point. It's not the title or artist or any cunning pun therein. Identify the three songs, recall what they sound like or even listen to them again, and the link should be there, clear as a bell...

....the owner of High Park Farm...

Artist correctly identified by @DaleCooper as Paul McCartney. But not Paul McCartney the solo artist, as a member of a group (and not that group). There's a reason why him being the owner of High Park Farm is relevant to identifying the song title....

....a song sung by an Australian who was formerly considered a novelty act...

A bit obscure this, the artist in question is really known worldwide for this one song. But in his homeland he had a novelty hit the best part of 20 years earlier and so famous was he for this novelty song that when he wanted to record the song in question, which is actually quite a profound political piece, the songwriters and studios and publishers were all very reluctant to let him.

...a song sung by a band with at least one member with a penchant for school uniforms and was about the travails of being a rock and roll act

Artist correctly identified by @randyrippley as AC/DC and the clue to the song title is writ large..."the travails of being a rock and roll act".

What AC/DC song title could that be? In a Fluff Freeman style, there's an extra point for getting the brackets in the title...which should be a big clue!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Could the Australian be Joe Dolce? He wrote a song called Boat People as well as Shaddap You Face. (He was born in America though but has joint nationality).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Artist correctly identified by @DaleCooper as Paul McCartney. But not Paul McCartney the solo artist, as a member of a group (and not that group). There's a reason why him being the owner of High Park Farm is relevant to identifying the song title....
I know nothing about music, but i am aware of McCartney having been in a group called Wings with a sing called Mull of Kintyre...? ( Because our music teacher at school made us do that one a few times... )

Wouldn't be that one would it?

millemille

Could the Australian be Joe Dolce? He wrote a song called Boat People as well as Shaddap You Face. (He was born in America though but has joint nationality).

No.

The song in question, not the preceding novelty song, was a massive hit in Australia and Europe in the late 1980's and is instantly recognisable, I'd suggest, to anyone who's not been living on a desert island for the last 40 years...

millemille

I know nothing about music, but i am aware of McCartney having been in a group called Wings with a sing called Mull of Kintyre...? ( Because our music teacher at school made us do that one a few times... )

Wouldn't be that one would it?

It would indeed!

The 1st song is Mull of Kintyre.

millemille

Thank you Mr Fawkes... you see... I was paying attention 45 years ago...!!! :lol:

Next question will be along in a few minutes - I'll edit it into this post...

Whoa, steady on there!

You've got the title on one of the three songs and you've not got the answer to what links them!!!!

randyrippley

Established Member
Presumably the AC/DC song is "It's a long way to the top 'if you wanna rock 'n' roll'"
But I still don't see a connection

DaleCooper

Established Member
He's got it!

Wings, Mull of Kintyre.
John Farnham, The voice
AC/DC, It's a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll)

All top ten songs that feature bagpipes.

Over to you Mr. Cooper
Thank you, it was a toss up between bagpipes and bells and I went for the wrong one first time.

Next question:

What strange fate befell HMS Porcupine after it was torpedoed and declared a total loss?