• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Generational moment ...

Halwynd

I'm 37 and while I know what a tender is I can well imagine a lot of people my age having no idea.

Why did 50021 used to be named Dave? I wasn't aware it did to be honest

Others have already answered, but yes - Only Fools & Horses.

Even now the mere mention of Rodney or Dave makes me laugh, others probably think I'm a nutter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Turns out the loco was really called Rodney, now I understand the reference

Reminds me of why one could refer to a certain right-wing Tory politician as 87027.

Of course, it would be an insult to the loco.

Reminds me of why one could refer to a certain right-wing Tory politician as 87027.

Of course, it would be an insult to the loco.
On holiday in Vietnam a few months ago with a group, we took a train from Hanoi and I told a fellow in his 50’s I was going to walk down the platform to photograph the loco. He had no idea what I meant by ‘loco’ and even ‘locomotive’ had to be backed up with ‘the engine on the front’.

D6130

Established Member
Wolf of badenock
Correct spelling: 'Wolf of Badenoch' ....and correct pronunciation 'Bad-en-och', not 'Bade-nock' as the woman herself likes to say it (although I suppose her husband - being, I believe 'public' school educated - probably has his own very superior pronunciation to avoid confusing him and his family with those awful highland peasants!).

Rescars

Established Member
Correct spelling: 'Wolf of Badenoch' ....and correct pronunciation 'Bad-en-och', not 'Bade-nock' as the woman herself likes to say it (although I suppose her husband - being, I believe 'public' school educated - probably has his own very superior pronunciation to avoid confusing him and his family with those awful highland peasants!).
The original Wolf of Badenoch was Earl of Buchan and son of a king, so quite a well-connected highland peasant!

D6130

Established Member
The original Wolf of Badenoch was Earl of Buchan and son of a king, so quite a well-connected highland peasant!
Indeed! I was alluding to the present day Mr & Mrs Bade-noch's presumed attitude to the good people of the Highlands....and anyone else who disagrees with them economically or politically. ;)

The Crab

I hadn't heard that before but at a guess I'd say that's an 'Only Fools And Horses' reference.

Brian was a very slow snail on the kids' TV programme 'The Magic Roundabout' and 31s have a similar rate of progress...
Brian was not particularly slow for a snail and he tells me that he resents the suggestion.

Big Jumby 74

Rodney Trotter was always called "Dave" by Trigger
Was wondering how long it would be before someone realised the meaning of the ref to 'Dave' for D421 (as was). After a couple days, I forgot to look in anymore.....guess one's age does indeed tell a lot about us...:lol:..or may be the OP of the comment should have said 50021 "Plonker".......sorry, no offence to the owner of said loco! But if one can't have a laugh....(etc)

Brian was not particularly slow for a snail and he tells me that he resents the suggestion
From my memory, when required, he could move like the s.h.one.T off the old shovel when required. Never heard of a Brush 2 being given that name though (as above somewhere), although a standing joke was they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. That said, had a few good runs (noise wise at least) from Liv Street to Kings Lynn many years ago, so I do have a soft spot for them.

PS: roll on 'New York, Paris and Peckham'...:lol:

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Never heard of a Brush 2 being given that name though (as above somewhere), although a standing joke was they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
An expression used by a previous generation, in their case about the 82xxx 2-6-2T sent to Taunton in my youthful times, as described a while ago here:

Regarding the Brush 2 / Class 31, I suspect on the Great Eastern they were never forgiven for the occasion when, brand new, one grandly was assigned to haul the Royal Train from Liverpool Street to Sandringham; it may even have been inspected by the Royal Family at the start. Broke down at Audley End when the lubricating oil pump failed. Rescued by the grimy Cambridge steam B1 4-6-0 which ran tender first at warp factor speed to assist, with every grade of Cambridge management of the footplate.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Regarding the Brush 2 / Class 31, I suspect on the Great Eastern they were never forgiven for the occasion when, brand new, one grandly was assigned to haul the Royal Train from Liverpool Street to Sandringham;
If it was brand new it would have still had its original Mirrlees engine and been what later became known as Class 30. The Mirrlees proved to be very unreliable, which is why the entire fleet had their engines replaced with English Electric ones.