• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German driver happy to answer questions you may have on rail operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On some routes it can even happen during a service. The IRE Friedrichshafen - Ulm - Stuttgart leaves Friedrichshafen with a 218, which is uncoupled in Ulm. A 146 is then coupled to the rake for the remainder of the journey to Stuttgart.

It also seems to be the case (though I think I read this was changing) that a set will usually be taken out to sidings for servicing and then shunted back "wird fuer Sie bereitgestellt" before use. Quite a costly operational style.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It was noticeable that the worst delay on the loco-hauled IC I was on 10 days ago (which runs a very long route Passau-Koblenz-Hamburg Altona) was during the reverse/loco change at Frankfurt Hbf.

BR111

Do you get many issues with your overheads coming down? In the UK we have a fair amount of trouble with headspan overheads coming down (by headspan I mean the ones supported by a single pylon each side of the line and all the catenary suspended from a cable between the pylons) but they appear to be very common throughout Germany spanning vast areas of track but don't appear to suffer from the issues we have.
I have actually heard that this isn't all too rare in England. Thankfully, it is indeed very rare in Germany. However, we're just as susceptible to foreign objects finding their way in there, which of course cause major delays too (random things during a storm, or balloons...). But for the actual power line to fall down is definitely a very rare occurance.

On some routes it can even happen during a service. The IRE Friedrichshafen - Ulm - Stuttgart leaves Friedrichshafen with a 218, which is uncoupled in Ulm. A 146 is then coupled to the rake for the remainder of the journey to Stuttgart.
Indeed, this is mostly done on long distance trains where the traction is changed, but it's also done on some EuroCities if the engine has to change sides, or if a new one is fitted.

It also seems to be the case (though I think I read this was changing) that a set will usually be taken out to sidings for servicing and then shunted back "wird fuer Sie bereitgestellt" before use. Quite a costly operational style.
This does actually happen an awful lot, sometimes it's just to make space for the platform, sometimes it's to clean or service the train, and sometimes a combination of those factors. It isn't always immediately obvious from our work plan why we're doing it, but when the time comes then the reason usually becomes apparent, and with time you learn the regular occurrences without even realising.

BodoMinea

I know this is kinda a long shot but its hard to find German people that work in this field, are active online and are willing to communicate in English.

I am a railway enthusiast from Romania willing to see all the new stuff in terms of rolling stock. I'm specifically in need of the following information - are the two Alstom Coradia iLint trains in daily operation in Germany?

From what I've read, somewhere in Northern Germany (Lower Saxony) there are two Alstom Coradia iLint hydrogen-electric multiple units in commercial operation since 2018. Is this true? Is there a daily scheduled service of them?
I would really like to know and go to see them if that's the case, but of course I would not be able to do that if they're not in regular service.

I saw Cuxhaven to Buxtehude as a likely route if it really is in operation, as it is mentioned in multiple websites and reports.

If you could inquire your sources and acquaintances for any of these information I'd be grateful and also available to ask my sources about information regarding railways in Romania if you ever need so.

Yours faithfully and best regards,
Bogdan

References:
https://www.fch.europa.eu/sites/default/files/04-Alstom-Ulrich-Gahl-final.pdf
http://www.fchea.org/in-transition/2019/9/23/hydrogen-powered-train-blog-update
https://www.alstom.com/our-solutions/rolling-stock/coradia-ilint-worlds-1st-hydrogen-powered-train

Status
Not open for further replies.