• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

German Railways-Any better than ours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
shinkansen, there are loads of ICE-Ts lying idle around Munich, due to the dodgy axle problem, the knock effect of which has been lengthened journey times and loss of through services (e.g. Hamburg-Munich via Berlin)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTW, the ICE-Ts were built by Siemens/Bombardier, the failed IEP bidder. Any connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shinkensgone

:D About time a little vorsprung-durch-technik was applied :p

At least the Vindscreen Viper operates at 300k..:p

shinkansen09

Thanks for the post Gordon, intersting that my info was more serious than I had expected. If ICE units were the same as a TGV fleet however, then seeing them sitting in sidings would not be so surprising, this being due to poor reliability. Last I heard 73% unit availability ! That`s poor by anyones standard.:oops:
Shin Ken....wipers work at 300 on what ???? an ICE????
With in-cab signaling why do you need wipers that work at 300???<D
However.....above 120 would be a bonus!!!!! :lol:

Shinkensgone

As you well know, you dont Need them.....But they work whereas Axles....you do need them and they dont work!!!!hmmm? :p

Last edited:

shinkansen09

As you well know, you dont Need them.....But they work whereas Axles....you do need them and they dont work!!!!hmmm? :p

Sorry I thought I needed them............
TGV.......up to 220 Km/h according to SNCF rule book !
However for sweeping operations.....
LGV........160 Km/h
LGV.....(England)....200 Km/h
HSR.....(Taiwan).....170 Km/h

It would be nice for a wiper to be able to do it`s job.....
Eurostar...wiper arm looks like it`s been on steriods :roll: but can`t keep the blade on the glass at speed as it`s mounting appears to give up the ghost :(
TGV.....appears to work without problem
700T....wiper arm looks like the leg of a stork and is about as useful <D:lol::lol:
No good in a TYPHOON or during MONSOON season.
Axles I agree are a BASIC NECESSITY <D<D:roll:

Last edited:

upnorth71

I suppose complaining about railways in the UK can be considered a national pastime (especially when compared to a system like the DB), but just be thankful you don't have something like Amtrak- compared to that, UK passenger rail is like something from "Star Wars", seriously....

me123

Established Member
Amtrak's a bit of a joke, but it does represent US opinion; most distances are too large to cover by rail when air travel is so much faster. However, the Americans take this to extremes (Seattle-Portland and Seattle-Bellingham are good examples where even a 125mph rail link would make air travel obsolete). Several silly ones in California as well; their rail link will make air travel almost useless.

We don't have a bad network IMO. We had Beeching, which went far too far, but we are now recovering from his axe. Being the railway pioneers, however, has I think caused us some problems. We were ahead for years, and I think we became complacent about our position. We already have the infrastructure, and even upgrading to 150mph running would require a lot of disruption and cost. Look at the WCML upgrade if you don't believe me. A high speed link is expensive and, whilst beneficial, I think the cost puts people off the idea when a decent link already exists.

upnorth71

..ones in California as well; their rail link will make air travel almost useless

Yes, I'm closely following that one. Been talk of that off and on since I was in grade school. Hopefully will be able to ride it by the time, say, when I can start drawing a pension (~30 years or so??...)

Status
Not open for further replies.